Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! Auto transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 12:20 AM
sctg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Auto transmission problems

I have a 1992 SC300 auto w/ 92,xxx miles. Recently the tranny's been acting up. The car hops at reverse and also after a rough 20-30 mile commute on the highway, the car fails to accelerate for a few seconds at a stop light. I've flushed out the fluid and also replaced the gasket in case for any possible leaks. Is this a common problem among the 92-93 models? I've been recommended to replace my tranny. I want to be sure of the problem before pulling it out.

So. Cal heads! For future reference, any recommendations where I could pick up a auto tranny besides the junkyard?
Old 01-07-10, 01:08 AM
RaphyV
Driver

Man that's about the same thing that's happening to me. I have roughly the same mileage on my car as you, but mine's a 99. I get a hard jolt when going from P to R on a cold start. When getting off the freeway, does your car's tranny downshift smoothly? And when accelerating from the light, does it feel like the tranny is slipping?
Old 01-07-10, 01:23 PM
sctg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RaphyV
Man that's about the same thing that's happening to me. I have roughly the same mileage on my car as you, but mine's a 99. I get a hard jolt when going from P to R on a cold start. When getting off the freeway, does your car's tranny downshift smoothly? And when accelerating from the light, does it feel like the tranny is slipping?
Yes, those are the exact symptoms man. Even when I allow the car to warm up, it still gives me that hard jolt.
Old 01-07-10, 03:16 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

First, are you sure it is a tranny problem? With proper maintenance, these tranny's have been known to last a very very long time. Is your tranny fluid at the correct level. How's does the tranny fluid smell when you pull out the dip stick? Does it smell burnt? Did you change out your tranny filter? When was your last differential service? When was your last major tune-up? You may have a fuel issue. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Could also be your fuel pump ECU. Don't just ASSUME the tranny is bad, trouble shoot and check the easy/cheap/common sense stuff first, looong before you start replacing $$$$$ items + labor charges. Always troubleshoot by using your factory manuals/Haynes manual troubleshooting sections first. That's the common sense way to trace your problem. Good luck.
Old 01-08-10, 02:03 AM
sctg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwebb99
First, are you sure it is a tranny problem? With proper maintenance, these tranny's have been known to last a very very long time. Is your tranny fluid at the correct level. How's does the tranny fluid smell when you pull out the dip stick? Does it smell burnt? Did you change out your tranny filter? When was your last differential service? When was your last major tune-up? You may have a fuel issue. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Could also be your fuel pump ECU. Don't just ASSUME the tranny is bad, trouble shoot and check the easy/cheap/common sense stuff first, looong before you start replacing $$$$$ items + labor charges. Always troubleshoot by using your factory manuals/Haynes manual troubleshooting sections first. That's the common sense way to trace your problem. Good luck.
thank you for your concern dwebb. i bought the car with 87,xxx miles. Did a major tune up myself consisting of:
- timing belt, water pump, distributor/cap, spark plugs
- replaced all seals, head gasket
- flushed tranny fluid and replaced filter

I have yet to service the differential and change my fuel filter. thanks for the suggestions. ill make sure to get to it asap.
Old 01-08-10, 03:31 AM
RaphyV
Driver

After doing the major tune up did you notice a change for the better or the problem persisting?
Old 01-08-10, 06:00 PM
sctg
Driver School Candidate

there were no problems before the major tune up. there was a definite change for the better. the tranny problems started after a few hundred miles following the tuneup.
Old 01-09-10, 09:34 AM
JTM65
Driver School Candidate

Have you checked all the motor and trans mounts? These mounts are probably pretty high tech (for a mount), fluid filled or composite materials, to control vibration. I'd bet they don't work well if damaged or prematurely worn. No hi RPM drops from neutral into drive right?
Old 01-20-10, 05:59 PM
sctg
Driver School Candidate

no rpm drops. no idle problems..

another problem this morning. car is not starting. i have yet to replace the fuel filter.