Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc4

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 09:22 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc4

hi, im new here, and am looking at buying maybe the sc4, im not sure though, i would like show and go, but they don't make it manual =\. what hp is it putting out stock compared to the sc3? If i went with the sc3 how much would i be hurting my wallet to make it fast? thankyou for you time guys, ill talk to you people sometime soon so until then
Old 04-23-02, 10:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well stock vs stock

a SC3 5-speed puts about the same power to the ground as a SC4 (since they are all auto)

to go really fast; the only real option right now is the SC3 since it has all kinds of turbo aftermarket

to be moderately fast you can work with both the SC4 and SC3; both love nitrous and can handle a decent sized shot; and they also both respond really well to other mods too

you won't hurt your wallet too much on the SC3; the SC4 needs a torque converter to put out the same kind of launch a SC3 5-speed can; but even then its not that expensive

aftermarket exhausts can get pricey; and don't waste your money on a axle-back or rear-section exhaust; you want a catback; and for the money i'd recommend getting a custom one made... as it will be about $450 or so; and about $800 for a retail piece like the greddy or JIC

Last edited by Bean; 04-23-02 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-23-02, 10:52 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same power, Bean? Race me !!
Old 04-23-02, 01:13 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Okie

both dyno about 170-175rwhp stock
and the SC400 weighs more
Old 04-23-02, 01:30 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I say we all meet out at the 1/4 in Montgomery this weekend and do some runnin.
Old 04-24-02, 10:11 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Default Montgomery?

montgomery what? Alabama? where do all of ya'll live? im in tallahassee florida. What makes the sc4 heavier? i know it has a bigger engine but other than that what?
Old 04-24-02, 11:53 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

It's really not heavier, the engine is physically larger, but the block is alloy compared to the iron block of the SC3, the weight difference is negligible. The difference is the dyno readings is also unfortunately small, the SC4 will dyno only about 5-10hp more than the SC3, and the stick makes up the difference (unless it's Bean driving, he shifts slower than my grandmother with her Rascal electric scooter ), they're very close stock for stock, but an SC4 will waste an auto SC3, as well as an auto IS3. Bean, we've gotta race before you sell that thing, i'm the local RT champ 'round here, just found a bunch of my old timeslips the other day, most of 'em were very low reaction time, even my girlfriend was impressed, wanna see 'em Mr. Bean?
Attached Thumbnails sc4-compressed-83-t-type-li-dragway-vs-dan-clifford-s-camaro.jpg  
Old 04-24-02, 12:18 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Lex.
i know you're from long island. i live along the suffolk nassau border. is that track in the picture on long island? looks real familar. i miss home
Old 04-24-02, 01:10 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

so an sc4 will be an automatic sc3 but how about a manual, and how will it compare to other cars out there?
Old 04-24-02, 02:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

who said i'm selling it? i might be changing my mind; a raise is around the corner in june

i've got timeslips for 9.6s in the 1/8th with a bad 2.3 60'

2.0s are possible as i've done it before back when my car was stockish; and the track i was on is notorious for bad traction...

so to become a bench racer here; i can get about 4-5 tenths from dropping my 60' 3 tenths

equate the 9.6 to 1/4 = 15.0
subtract 4 tenths and you get 14.6

As for montgomery; if you guys wanna plan a trip; we can meet there. I'll get my friends to go up there too; we just gotta schedule a time (and i can't make it this weekend).
Old 04-25-02, 01:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I would pick a SC400 over a SC300 unless you're going to for sure turbo the SC300...you can leave the SC400 stock and it's got some good power. Plus, there are supercharger options out there with a new one on the horizon for not a lot of money (compare to what's out there now)...

If you're interested in fixing up your SC, please stayed tuned...
Old 04-25-02, 03:02 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Reasonably priced superchargers for the SC400??!?!!!?? You have my attention!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mike, this wouldn't by chance be related to the thread in the GS forum?

Bean, good luck with the raise. Good news to hear you'll be around longer.
Old 04-25-02, 05:02 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Default supercharger

you say reasonably priced, explain how much this is we're talking about, what there are no turbo's for the sc4???y not? and i take it that a turbo that fits a supra wouldn't match up would it? damn, i was thinkin about taking the tt setup off a supra and putting it in,,, or just seeing if it was possible, it sounded like a reasonably good idea
Old 04-25-02, 07:54 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

not really

the SC4 is a V8

the Supra is a Inline 6

totally different motors; one has two exhaust manifolds; a V-type intake manifold; the other has a 2 into 1 twinturbo manifold; and a Inline type manifold

plus the turbos are different sizes; it'd be hard as hell to setup; it'd be cheaper to custom build a kit instead of trying to mate SupraTT parts to the V8

Last edited by Bean; 04-25-02 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-25-02, 09:17 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

verylost, i'm right near the Nassau-Suffolk border, in Lindenhurst, where are you at? In Amityville? Finally found someone in CL that's real close to my casa, there's a couple other guys that are pretty close, gonna try to organize a meet at some point. And yeah, good eye, that track is LI dragway (the Hamptons). If you're local, you may know Dan Clifford, he's got that Blue Camaro in the picture with the small block. The other car was one of my T-Type/GN's, he was talkin' smack forever, but told me he'd only run at the track (lost his license I guess), so I agreed to meet him out there and told him to bring his bank book. We ran heads up off a Sportsman tree, as you can see in the pic he's got the wheels a little off the ground on the launch, i'm already a car length out on him right out of the hole. By the 330ft, I had already disgraced him. He don't come 'round no more. Manaray, how 'bout leakin' some top secret 1UZ blower info? Inquiring minds wanna know. Bean, I hope you'll hang on to the SC3, I know it's rough with the loans, I still have about $18,000 left to pay off my SC, but it should be easier once you sell the Z32. I'd be surprised if knocked off a 14.6, but that would be great, especially with a 2.0 short time, since Scott Hureau is turning a traction-limited 2.2 60 ft with 425 rwhp. I threw in a timeslip, you'll like the short time and the RT.
Attached Thumbnails sc4-compressed-9.2-timeslip.jpg  

Quick Reply: sc4