Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help!!!help!!! White smoke!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 08:26 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!help!!! White smoke!!!!!

What the hell!!!! I have white smoke coming from the exhaust!!!!! Does anybody know what the problem is? First it was ps when I got the swap now white smoke? WTF!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-09, 09:13 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

white smoke could be antifreeze or it could just be condensation. what does it smell like? what does your oil look like?
Old 09-15-09, 09:34 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggu
white smoke could be antifreeze or it could just be condensation. what does it smell like? what does your oil look like?
It smells like fuel real rich and the oil looks okay. I've been having problems with the ps pump. Could that be an issue as well? I have another thread with ps issues and had to extend the line from the alternator to the ps. Could that cause some issues?
Old 09-15-09, 11:01 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the car been sitting around for a while? Check the oil to see if there is any water in it.
Old 09-15-09, 11:08 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Has the car been sitting around for a while? Check the oil to see if there is any water in it.
How can I tell if there's any water in the oil?
Old 09-15-09, 11:34 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.oilanalysis.com/article_d...?articleid=541
Lesson No. 5 - Signs of Coolant Leak

Brown bubbles or a dried crusty-brown residue above the oil level line on the dipstick could be an indication that coolant (water and antifreeze) has leaked into your engine. The oil on the dipstick might even look like chocolate milk. Never taste motor oil as a test for antifreeze.
Another prominent indication of coolant leak is white exhaust smoke that has a sweet odor. In this case, the dipstick oil level may actually rise, indicating a significant amount of coolant has leaked into the crankcase.
To confirm a coolant leak, shut off the engine, let it set for an hour or two, unthread the drain plug and use a clear glass or plastic bottle to catch the liquid. Because both water and antifreeze are heavier than oil, they will puddle up at the bottom of the oil pan. Collect a couple of ounces of fluid and immediately retighten the drain. Inspect the fluid for glycol and water. Glycol and water often look like a thick mayonnaise-like paste, depending on how long the coolant has been in the crankcase. You might also detect a sweet antifreeze smell.
If you have detected coolant in your motor oil, your engine should be taken in for immediate service.
So there you have it - dipstick oil analysis in five simple lessons. Checking your oil level may never be the same.
Old 09-15-09, 01:08 PM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLDriver
http://www.oilanalysis.com/article_d...?articleid=541
Lesson No. 5 - Signs of Coolant Leak

Brown bubbles or a dried crusty-brown residue above the oil level line on the dipstick could be an indication that coolant (water and antifreeze) has leaked into your engine. The oil on the dipstick might even look like chocolate milk. Never taste motor oil as a test for antifreeze.
Another prominent indication of coolant leak is white exhaust smoke that has a sweet odor. In this case, the dipstick oil level may actually rise, indicating a significant amount of coolant has leaked into the crankcase.
To confirm a coolant leak, shut off the engine, let it set for an hour or two, unthread the drain plug and use a clear glass or plastic bottle to catch the liquid. Because both water and antifreeze are heavier than oil, they will puddle up at the bottom of the oil pan. Collect a couple of ounces of fluid and immediately retighten the drain. Inspect the fluid for glycol and water. Glycol and water often look like a thick mayonnaise-like paste, depending on how long the coolant has been in the crankcase. You might also detect a sweet antifreeze smell.
If you have detected coolant in your motor oil, your engine should be taken in for immediate service.
So there you have it - dipstick oil analysis in five simple lessons. Checking your oil level may never be the same.

Thanks, now how do you check to see if the turbos are bad?
Old 09-15-09, 11:37 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

If its white smoke and smells like pure fuel....its your ecu. It is starting to be a common problem now a days.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...mely-rich.html
Old 09-16-09, 03:28 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

If i remember reading somewhere...OLT said sometihng about hooking the PS line incorrectly....
Old 09-16-09, 04:16 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr.Fate
It smells like fuel real rich and the oil looks okay. I've been having problems with the ps pump. Could that be an issue as well? I have another thread with ps issues and had to extend the line from the alternator to the ps. Could that cause some issues?

Please explain what you did, it doesnt make sence.
Old 09-16-09, 06:05 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

The PS and white smoke are two different issues.

One thing you could do is warm the engine a little and then pull the plugs and see if one cylinder totally smells like fuel. Also unburnt fuel going through a superheated catalytic converter can't be good.

just and idea..
Old 09-16-09, 11:09 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BattleVer
Please explain what you did, it doesnt make sence.
The guys that did the swap did not extend the female plug from the alternator to the power steering pump male plug. Dzung over at JHOT (I Got motor from them.) told me that most shops that do the swap sometimes over look extending the plug. I also asked Dzung what the white smoke could be and he told me and I Quote " 1JZ TURBOS ARE WEAK AND ARE THE SOMETIMES ARE THE FIRST THING TO GO ON THE 1JZ" funny huh? When I got a alignment the other day the guy told me that I had a little white smoke coming out and that it could be a valve stem problem. I have a guy coming over today to help me out, so let's see if we can find the motor goblin and kill it!
Old 09-16-09, 06:52 PM
scturbo28
Rookie

Default white smoke

Hey i had the same problem with my swap 1jz, 99% of the time it is the valve stems or the turbo ( the seals ) going bad . My car would let out a puff of white smoke sometimes at idle when i would rev the car to 2k rpm , it turned out to be the turbo , the back seal was bad and leaking oil which is why i got white smoke , if you have no coolant in the oil and the car runs fine and idles fine and pulls hard , then you have nothing to worry about , since its the turbo or your valve stems going bad . I did a compression test because i am paranoid with my sc and it came back 160 straight across so i knew the motor was healthy , i new from the get go that the motor was fine because my car idled perfect , the temperature was always cold , and it will always pulls hard , i new it was something minor , finally i got the turbo rebuilt and problem resolved no smoke no nothing runs like a champ .
Old 09-17-09, 11:05 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scturbo28
Hey i had the same problem with my swap 1jz, 99% of the time it is the valve stems or the turbo ( the seals ) going bad . My car would let out a puff of white smoke sometimes at idle when i would rev the car to 2k rpm , it turned out to be the turbo , the back seal was bad and leaking oil which is why i got white smoke , if you have no coolant in the oil and the car runs fine and idles fine and pulls hard , then you have nothing to worry about , since its the turbo or your valve stems going bad . I did a compression test because i am paranoid with my sc and it came back 160 straight across so i knew the motor was healthy , i new from the get go that the motor was fine because my car idled perfect , the temperature was always cold , and it will always pulls hard , i new it was something minor , finally i got the turbo rebuilt and problem resolved no smoke no nothing runs like a champ .
Man who rebuilt your turbos? I can't find anybody that will touch those ceramic things.
Old 09-19-09, 12:55 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

Default Found the devil inside my motor.

It was valve stems/seals Had it done at 935MOTORSPORTS here in town. Graet job by the gentlemen at the shop. I'll post some pictures tomarrow.

Quick Reply: Help!!!help!!! White smoke!!!!!