Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra Engine into SC300 questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 11:28 PM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supra Engine into SC300 questions..

Well first of off hi im new here and know NOTHING about anyof this other than a TT Supra engine fits into a SC300 and I love SC300. Second I have a friend with a 95 Supra and love it but cant afford one myself so thus I was wondering how much it would cost me in $ and labor for a "Poor Mans" Supra.
This is where im at with my reserach.
1. I found plenty of SC300's under 5k which is a decent price I might say.
2. Ive found Complete engine's (2JZ-GTE) with Tranny and all for 2k
now my question is how much am I looking at for Installation of the engine swap with all the parts that might be needed.
I have a 1991 Mustang 5.0 with LOTS of Mods and was thinking of swapping engines on it to a 03/04 Cobra engine which would cost me alot itself. Prob more than a Supra swap(It seems since the engine is 10k!)
Anyone with help or experience help me out to see how much $$$ Im looking at. Thanks

(5k for car and 2k for engine so far = 7k)
Old 08-26-09, 11:47 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha not gonna make too much friends here by calling the SC a "poor man's" supra....but 1sicksc is absolutely correct
Old 08-27-09, 12:00 AM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

sorry dint mean it like that but by no means is it a supra.. its still a SC300..
I mean ofcourse the car is gonna be built.. Seats, carpet, stereo to name the inside. Cosmetic work also.
Now you said I will need maintenance like the shocks, bushings, brakes, PS pump, alternator, starter, climate control LCD, gauge cluster but i believe that will all come with fixing the engine.. like alternator and starter and such will be changed before the engine is put in. as I would have done with the termi engine or any other engine for that matter that I would of swapped in my 5.0. I would change head gaskets, clean parts out and such... but how much am I looking on spending in the installation itself.?
Old 08-27-09, 11:46 AM
TumblerZ30
Driver

......since no one has absolutely blasted you yet and I'm in a good mood I'll be nice. My suggestion to you is do not ask anymore questions regarding this topic and use the SEARCH function in the Performance section. You will get pages of good info to answer every question you may have.
Old 08-27-09, 11:51 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Ugh...you need to bookmark the search page. I guarentee that, if you are in any way competent, you will find almost all the things you need to know this way.

Also your estimate of 2k for the swap is grossly optomistic.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 08-27-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-27-09, 03:56 PM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Ugh...you need to bookmark the search page. I guarentee that, if you are in any way competent, you will find almost all the things you need to know this way.

Also your estimate of 2k for the swap is grossly optomistic.
oh great I get the word competent from someone that spells guarantee, guarentee..
I need to bookmark the search page? you need to use your spell check that came included with your damn computer...

I dint say my swap was 2k.. that was my question of how much am I looking at for a swap..
I said I would get the engine and such for 2k... I'm sure I said that correctly before so there would be no confusion but I see there still was
Old 08-27-09, 03:58 PM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TumblerZ30
......since no one has absolutely blasted you yet and I'm in a good mood I'll be nice. My suggestion to you is do not ask anymore questions regarding this topic and use the SEARCH function in the Performance section. You will get pages of good info to answer every question you may have.
why would anyone have to blast me... I'm asking questions about something I know nothing about.. and if your in here it is to help answer those questions.. if not then you wouldn't be here for any other reason.. isn't this what its for.. help? so since when is blasting someone helping?
Old 08-27-09, 04:09 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rage5.00
oh great I get the word competent from someone that spells guarantee, guarentee..
I need to bookmark the search page? you need to use your spell check that came included with your damn computer...

I dint say my swap was 2k.. that was my question of how much am I looking at for a swap..
I said I would get the engine and such for 2k... I'm sure I said that correctly before so there would be no confusion but I see there still was
Gramatical mistakes are forgivable to an extent. I misspelled by one letter. Sue me mr. perfect.

You can even search the word "search" and you will see how many people. like you, who are somehow incapable of using the search button. You will also realize that I was not being mean in comparison to others.

Look at everyone else who interpreted it as if you were hoping 2k was how much you were gonna spend.

Bookmark the search page. You come in here not knowing anything expecting to be spoon fed information about swaps without putting in the effort to find out without wasting a thread on what was answered eleventy billion times.

Also you misspelled "didn't"....But who cares right?

I don't.
Old 08-27-09, 04:23 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

without telling you to Search..
Rough estimate being
$5,000 for car
$2,000 for engine
$1,000 for random parts
$1000-2000 for a legit install.
Old 08-27-09, 04:29 PM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
without telling you to Search..
Rough estimate being
$5,000 for car
$2,000 for engine
$1,000 for random parts
$1000-2000 for a legit install.
this is what I was looking for..
That's not bad at all..
I'm willing to spend 3k on just installation...
looks like I will be doing this sooner than I thought.
It would come out cheaper than Installing a 04 Termi engine in my 5.0. The engine itself cost 10k
Old 08-27-09, 07:01 PM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Originally Posted by Rage5.00
why would anyone have to blast me... I'm asking questions about something I know nothing about.. and if your in here it is to help answer those questions.. if not then you wouldn't be here for any other reason.. isn't this what its for.. help? so since when is blasting someone helping?
Because the same exact question has been asked 100,000 times before and answered in great detail. If you have a question related to something specific ask. If you are asking the most general and covered topic on this forum, use the search function and you will have no problem finding everything you need. This forum gets flooded with the same questions over and over because of lazy people who fail to apply a little bit of effort. As a result, it makes it more difficult to sift through all the b.s threads to find the ones with good information.
Old 08-27-09, 07:48 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

close this thread already.. its not nice to ask for help and then lash out over a mispelled word ot 2

if you go on supra forums you will find a wealth of info , they say search for you need to do a ton of research for it appears you really dont know what you are about to get into hereyou are looking at 5k-7k to do the swap correctly and with that you are still on stock jdm twins

and before you lash out at me i am a ole vet here and i build these cars as a hobby so i do have hands on exp with the sc and gs
Old 08-27-09, 08:45 PM
Rage5.00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexforlife
close this thread already.. its not nice to ask for help and then lash out over a mispelled word ot 2

if you go on supra forums you will find a wealth of info , they say search for you need to do a ton of research for it appears you really dont know what you are about to get into hereyou are looking at 5k-7k to do the swap correctly and with that you are still on stock jdm twins

and before you lash out at me i am a ole vet here and i build these cars as a hobby so i do have hands on exp with the sc and gs
Don't get me wrong i am not talking or snapping at anyone.. but when people respond the way they do or say the things they say for really to no reason its only right i stand up for myself as no one else would. I never said anything to hurt anyone's feelings and such.. I am just here for info and help but for some reason its more complicated to keep a conversation or get help here than I thought..
But regardless there is people here that do help and have helped in this thread itself that haven't so I'm glad about that. Thanks guys.
Old 09-03-09, 11:04 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

many members have long build up threads and photo walkthroughs of their 2jzgte swap,

usually you have alot more costs than you realize:

I did mine Factory Toyota style, I get wholesale from Toyota and am good at hunting for bargins, but I spent quite a bit more than 2k on just putting together my powerplant, the Sc300 oem 5mt i bought required an easy 4.5k in footwork (suspension), brakes, LSD, then I spent about 50 hours figuring out the electrical systems and merging them by hand .......this is quite required for a proper swap, it would be like installing a 04 SVT cobra supercharger motor in your 5.0 - full wiring harness and ECU conversion definately required.

you will be hard pressed to find a supra TT rear sump motor - Supra's are not that common, nor are the powerplants. all the crap sold on ebay is Aristo, japan sedan GS300 with front sump, differnt intake manifold setup, differnt injectors, differnt turbines and smaller Y to downpipe (3" vs 4"), etc etc etc.

to convert one of those random ebay aristo front sump motors into a BPU capable 2jzgte reliable powerplant that will pop in your SC300 with proper ancilleries, new pumps, etc etc etc. the rear sump is not easy to find, the hardlines and softlines are different, then you need to find a set of USA / UK model twin turbos that have not been abused.........good luck finding that on ebay. usually the NA+t guys drill out the oil pan and tap, but its much cleaner (and easier, in a project with already 15 mini projects going on) to get a complete factory setup. it fits PERFECTLY.

There goes at least 1-2k, you are going to pay a decent amount more for a original rear sump supra TT powerplant in identical condition to front sump.

you might as well tear down the motor and rebuild it from naked block at that point, because the random 12 year old oil pump, water pump.......all have to go. Thermostat, head gasket, might as well do the rings, rod and main bearings too. drop off the crank to get polished and hot tank the head if it has massive carbon buildup or sludge- many random ebay motors do- they send the cheapest of the cheap to ebay usa; buyers in asia only want the top end, same for aus or europe. ebay used motor prices are cheaper than used prices in non-japan asian countries............quality has alot to do with it.

Basically, theres no easy way to do this that cheaply. Domestic cars are cheaper, if not forced induction. NA big displacement costs usually less domestically than Twin Turbocharged does import.

My previous Audi S4 6mt Biturbo (stage 2.5) was murderously expensive........ate 2 getrags!, 2 turbos and everything else!!!

Last edited by wanganstyl; 09-03-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 07:39 AM
andrew18
Rookie

Default Just my 2cents

Rage, You have to realize that active members patrol these forums for real valuable information. This real valuable information gets lost with the distraction of worthless threads (like this) that get posted 10 times a week. Instead of wasting the 1min on avg X 197 views this has had = which is equal to 3 forum man hours answering a question that if you spent 5min searching could be solved.

It's tempting to just "post" a thread but please lets keep the thread posting to a minimum unless you have a valid question and or knowledge that is unknown to share with the rest of the community.

Welcome to the forums there's a lot of great info here. Just please use the search tool first and after at least 30min of exhaustive research here and on SupraForums then post a thread.