Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Strangest Problem...Dirty Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 08:46 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Strangest Problem...Dirty Injectors

Hey everyone, I'm new here switching over from Lexusownersclub and i'm hoping there will be more insight here. The problem i believe is with my fuel injectors...

they tick loudly. like lifter tick but numerous people tell me its the injectors. now, the car runs beautiful like there is nothing wrong at all. except sometimes it hiccups. it misfires and just makes a small popping sound when doing so. only happens in between 1k and 2k rpm cause the fix to get it to stop doing this is basically to just gas it up to like 3k rpm and its gone. then, in worser cases, the engine just bogs down. and bogs down HARD like it has no power and the rpm is forced to stay at about 1100 no matter how much gas you give it until it seems to break free and rev freely again. now, never once have i ever put anything less than 93 octane premium in her. ever. and ready for the strageeee part?

all this dissapears for 2 weeks (the duration of a gas tank) with a bottle of Techron Fuel cleaner. ONLY this brand fuel cleaner makes it go away. the cheap stuff has no affect. only the 12 dollar bottle (of course) its like a drug habbit, when the car is burning techron it runs like its brand new. but once it burns it all off it will begin to have the symptoms described above.
Old 08-18-09, 09:03 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

I think your injectors are pretty dirty as heck.

They might be getting stuck open. The pop is from a flood of fuel which can explain the bogging also. That's the misfire. It's running rich horribly for a moment.

If this is happening.. my recommendation is to replace the injectors , by sending them out to get rebuilt and flow tested again.

Since it's not a side feed, you can't really put a screwdriver on the top of the injector to test for which one might be failing..
Old 08-18-09, 09:20 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

hey thank you driftparx7!

by any chance do you have a link to a DIY to get at the injectors? or maybe you could attempt to explain it to me? these definetly seem to be the problem.

would dirty injectors point to a bad fuel filter? it seems to me that the techron cleans them out temporarily but then they just clog up again once it wears off
Old 08-18-09, 10:37 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on it? I would suggest doing a tune up first. Spark plugs, distributor cal and rotor, fuel filter, etc. Those are the cheapest parts to replace.
Old 08-19-09, 03:00 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Im assuming by your screen name that you have an SC 400. Your symptoms sound like mine, only 5 times worse. I plan on pulling mine when I get the time, sorry I cant get to the link on pulling them. You would def. want to repl. the fuel filter, which can be problematic. Maybe if you change the fuel filter and try some more cleaner it will get better till you dissassemble. You should ask for advise before doing the filter if youve never done it before.
Old 08-19-09, 10:47 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i have never done a fuel filter before. i have a brand new filter sitting right next to this very lap top...

however, i took a look at it today and it seems like the connection points on both sides of the current filter (which is obviously the original from 93) has a lot of rust. so i'm a little nervous that if i try to un do the nuts, the fuel line will crumble which we all know would really be awful.

and by the way the car has 165k on it. runs incredible when its not having withdrawals from techron.
Old 08-20-09, 06:44 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

When you go to change the fuel filter, the gas will continue to flow out all down your arm. The line nuts seem to be the wrong thread for the filters, its tough going but youll have to get it done. Have as little gas in the tank as possible. Then you may need 5 gallons and a long funnel to refill after the swap. A couple of wrenchs and vise grips.
Old 08-21-09, 10:55 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When they say the gas doesnt stop its true. Search for my thread on fuel filters and you'll see that it took off about 1ft x 3" of skin off my arm... haha
Old 08-21-09, 01:11 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

lol...thats awesome i can't wait to go work on something that empties my gas tank and burns a foot by 3 inch patch off my arm!

lol in a serious manner though, suppose it is the original from 93, how big of a block up might it be causing? i'm a little reluctant to do it since the connections are rusty i really do not want to snap the line. i have a bad experience with this, a mechanic wanted to replace the line and said it would have to go all the way to the injectors and cost about 500 dollars.

oh and red phoenix: i've watched your SC on youtube, its like a dream come true. just to let you know. haha

Last edited by BostonSC4; 08-21-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: forgot sometihng
Old 08-21-09, 02:50 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Spray pb blaster and let it soak for a while. Then spray again. Continue to do this a few times. I would recommend using flare wrenches and open your fuel cap to let out the pressure. Wear nitrile gloves.
Old 08-21-09, 04:03 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I did open the gas cap and it didnt stop the flow, but I can see were it would help.