Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter Clicking *OPTIONS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 06:40 AM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Clicking *OPTIONS*

SO the other day my car started doing the clicking before it started... SO I knew it was going to be the starter being bad...

So since the starter is under the intake manifold, when Itake it out I want it repaired not replaced, because I don't want to replace it with a crappy autozone unit.

So I have been told to replace the contacts on the starter, my questions is. Can I get away cleaning all the magnets or "brushes" in the start with elctric cleaner, and put new contacts on the starter and call it a day? Or Should I replace the brushes too?

I saw a thread on here where the guy got away with just putting contact on it, but this isn't an SC3 its a SC$ so I want it done right, because I don't wanna have to do the job again...

SIDENOTE: I was also thinking of dissassembling the intake manifold and buying new gaskets for it and injector o-rings and while it is apart have the intake manifold HotTanked so it is fresh when I put it back on the car.

BUT I have heard that it is a BAD idea to pull the injectors on the car, because they are brittle, and I am NOT trying to have to spend $1XX.00+ dollars for an injector or 2.

Leave Your Opinion / Experince in this department..

ThankYou
Old 08-18-09, 02:51 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the clicking issues you experienced on my sc300 starter until one day all it did was click and not start. I replaced the contacts and the car has had no clicking or starting issues since then. As you stated, you have an sc400 so I personally would get an oem unit for replacement or rebuild it completely to avoid having to do it again.
Old 08-18-09, 04:27 PM
turbo7m
Rookie

hit it.....lol
Old 08-18-09, 05:21 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^That actually worked for a few weeks before it didn't work no more haha.
Old 08-19-09, 07:13 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

you're gonna have to bite the bullet. replacing the starter with an OEM one is the way to go or get yours rebuilt locally.

avoid aftermarket starters. sometimes the gear is just a little too big and causes chatter or grinding on start-up
Old 08-21-09, 11:45 AM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

Here's some pictures of everything pulled apart.. I think im gonna dissassemble the intake manifold and get it hot tanked and polish the fuel rails... IDK about the injectors tho.. I hear they are brittle..

Here's some pics.. Sorry its just my camera phone

LMK Any Thoughts

Also, I am disassembling the starter myself and replacing the contacts and cleaning the armature. And possibly replacing the brushes.

Last edited by SCLexxxy; 08-21-09 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 11:44 AM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

SO after I took out the starter and started to replace the contacts, I realized that the solenoid shaft was stuck..Looks like due to a lil water. So I cleaned up the shaft and lubed it up and it is moving very freely now...I am leaving the starter out to dry up some of the lube and stuff i used on it...

I am taking my intake manifold to the shop on monday to get hot tanked and then put it all back together...
Old 08-24-09, 05:59 PM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

OK everyone...Well I got my parts Hot Tanked today, and I was bored and stared cleaning my injectors with a tooth brush, then I decided to hit them with some polish, so I polished them up.. I Also installed new injector O-Rings for all the injectors while I was in there, and made some new vacuum hoses for the old brittle ones.. Here's some pics of the manifold going back together and everything before I finally put it back on the car .

Old 08-24-09, 06:03 PM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

BEFORE & AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 08-24-09, 07:21 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

beautiful... Were any of the plastic connectors brittle? Last time I did the coil pack on my sc4 the connectors would just crumble in my hands.
Old 08-24-09, 07:57 PM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

Yea the plastic connectors are ALWAYS brittle it sucks big time...

The injectors however were more stout than I had thought.. Figured they'd snap from being stuck in the fuel rail for a while...

Almost ready to put it back in.. Jsut gonna clean out the galley below the intake manifold and clean where the intake gasket goes..

I figured I'd do all this cause I figure it can't do anything but restrict less airflow and be better on gas...

We'll see tommorrow...
Old 08-29-09, 01:14 PM
SCLexxxy
Rookie

SO I re-installed everything, went a started it up and it starts running rough..Not sure why its running so rough.. SO then I check everything and I notice that there is some fuel leakage... So either 1 of 2 things are happening, either the injectors leaked a lil on the first prime when the fuel went into the rail and now the orings are seated and aren't leaking anymore and I have a problem with something else on the car... OR they are still leaking and that is the entire problem....

I Replaced all the O rings on the injectors and put them in on a bench, and everyone went in smooth, I even lubed them up before putting them in the rail...

The car sounds smooth when I hold the throttle at about 2,000 RPM's... But then once I let go she starts to sputter and bogg out...

I don't have anymore time to mess with it today, because I have to go to work.../

Anyone else experience any similar porblems after puttin the intake back on an SC400?

LMK Any Thoughts
Old 12-13-09, 10:38 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

what turned out to be the problem?
Old 12-13-09, 11:39 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started this project as well and I DON'T plan on taking out the injectors.
Yay for pictures.