Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replaced MAF sensor...car now stutters!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 01:48 AM
armanxpm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced MAF sensor...car now stutters!

Hey all,

I did a search on my issue and not too many threads popped up. So, don't hate me for asking/posting about my MAF sensor!

My original MAF sensor failed so my CEL and TRAC OFF lights would not go off and the car would not respond too well to WOT or to any kind of intense throttle...so I replaced it the other day with a used OE MAF sensor and it seems to have made the issue worse. The car ran fine the first few hours after the replacement but soon after it started idling rough and stuttering whenever I try to accelerate. The car shakes like a mother*****er whenever I give it gas!

I haven't taken it to my mechanic, but I just did a full tune-up and timing belt/water pump replacement 2 weeks ago and the car was running fine (except for the CEL and TRAC lights).

Should I have my mechanic look at anything in particular? Does the MAF sensor need to register with the car?
Old 08-05-09, 07:13 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

theres a way to check your maf it should be reading a certain ohms, i forgot what it was but you may want to search it out... but it sound like your transmission solenoid are bad...
Old 08-05-09, 08:10 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Since you did a tune up check there isn't an air leak under the throttle body, I just had the same problem and it turned out when i changed the plugs and put it back together there was an air leak under the throttle body i couldn't see which let air in after the MAF and caused the car to run like TOTAL CRAP and it leaned the motor out which caused the ECU to dump excessive fuel to try and compensate for it and both lights flashed. The car ran like crap and wouldnt idle like this, i pulled the throttle body off and put some RTV on the gasket and resealed it and now no issues....... If your car is OBD2 tell your mechanic to put a scan tool on it and read the 02 sensor voltage and fuel trims, if the o2 is low to no voltage and the fuel trim is high then you have an air leak.

Also did you reset the ECU after you changed the maf??? If not pull the neg battery cable for 5min and then after you put it back on check again, the car will be a little rough at first while the computer "relearns" and adjusts the idle etc....
Old 08-05-09, 08:58 PM
armanxpm
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the input...i popped in the old MAF sensor and the car idles and runs just fine...just my CEL and TRAC OFF lights came back on. I noticed that the lid to my air intake box was loose when i went to switch out the new MAF with the old one...im thinking i might have forgotten to close the lid.

would that have anything to do with anything?
Old 08-06-09, 11:17 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

air box lid wouldn't do anything, only an air leak AFTER the maf would affect it, take off the neg battery terminal and reset the ecu with the good maf installed and see if that helps.
Old 09-20-09, 09:31 AM
Driver School Candidate

Default mine working again don't know how

I've had my maf unplugged for about a month. I've been searching for a new one, since no longer available through autozone etc. Today I reset ecu 30 amp fusecar ran like crap next disconnected negative,replace all's good. For kicks I replugged maf...stuttered about 2miles now has cleared up and is running great.....don't know the reason but give it a try?