Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why a 1JZ-GTE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 02:54 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why a 1JZ-GTE?

Well I've searched, and read alot, but don't understand the results I've found..

I have an SC300 Auto, and don't wanna spend $2000 replacing a
Head Gasket which might be the case..
So I thought I'd just get a whole new engine for that price (or less)
especially 'cus my engine has over 195K miles anyway..
However, Im reading that people are creating this "1.5JZ" where they put a 1JZ Head on a 2JZ-GE, because they wanna keep the displacement of the 2JZ; yet have a better flowing Head, with Twin Turbos.

However; I read again, that its a myth; and the 2JZ Head flows better; and that NA-T is better than 1JZ if Im planning to have 600Hp in the future (which is what I'd like.. Well "at least" 450.)

So.. Whats the real reason people do a 1JZ swap, aside from just being able to become more "JDM"?
It sounds like its simply 'cus its easier (and cheaper) to swap-in,
than a 2JZGTE, thus its a shortcut to becoming TT.

From what I've read also; the 1JZ'ers don't even have alotta power either.. Their claiming like 300ish.. Which as far as I know, is pretty low a number for all the hype about JZ Engines..

Would it be best to just keep my 2JZ-GE and simply put TT Intake/Exhaust Manifolds on it, and go that route?

I don't wanna buy a 1JZ Engine to find out; I coulda had more power, sooner, if I had just kept my 2JZGE and simply did some things differently.

A lil' help?

I wanna make my decision by this weekend.
This dudes holding a 1JZ for me, which I put a deposit on.
I can still get my cash back, but y'know..
If its the wrong decision, I aint doin' it.

However I have to figure out something soon, 'cus my SC's not running currently; and I need it fixed one way or another, since
its my daily driver.
The thing is, it'll be about 600 or so to fix (water pump replacement + new radiator) which is around what he's selling me the 1JZ for.
My mechanic says however that the issue (why my SC wont run) might be the Head Gasket; and if it is, then its gonna be a pricey fix..

"Whole New Engine" Pricey.
Old 06-30-09, 03:18 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Various reasons. People don't always explain their reasons and there are those who thing getting 1JZ and becoming one of the elite is the greatest thing ever.

Bottom line is if you can go NA-T, then go for it. It is the cheapest in the end. No crappy stock TT. Simpler to do than an engine swap. Less problems to work out. It's cheaper in the long run than 1JZ.
Old 06-30-09, 03:18 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant miss 2jzgte or 1jzgte, althought the 2jzgte is more expensive to put into a SC.
Just take your time, make sure the motor your buying is in GOOD shape. Get a compression test and leakdown test, the better condition the actual engine is in the cheeper it will be in the long run.....

I have spent about $18,000 give or take including the car, and fare for finished........
Old 06-30-09, 03:21 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
Various reasons. People don't always explain their reasons and there are those who thing getting 1JZ and becoming one of the elite is the greatest thing ever.

Bottom line is if you can go NA-T, then go for it. It is the cheapest in the end. No crappy stock TT. Simpler to do than an engine swap. Less problems to work out. It's cheaper in the long run than 1JZ.
Rebuilding a 2jzge with 195,000 would be hard for someone new to toyota family....
Old 06-30-09, 03:49 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- 1JZ into an SC is one of the easiest engine swaps known to man
- stock twins good to about 15psi (reliably)
- 300whp is easy on stock twins
- looks fresh as f*&#, way nicer than NA-T
- cheaper than NA-T (NA-T done right)
- super duper flat torque curve, twins spin quick
- gets more Ahhhs and Oooohs than NA-T
- built bottom end for going single

Point is that you can't go wrong with 1JZ
Old 06-30-09, 03:51 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Would it be best to just keep my 2JZ-GE and simply put TT Intake/Exhaust Manifolds on it, and go that route?
Negatory. Different head between GE and GTE.
Old 06-30-09, 03:55 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

1. especially 'cus my engine has over 195K miles anyway..

I wouldn't put a big turbo on any engine with 195k miles on it. That motor needs a gasket overhaul for sure..water pump..timing belt..valve adjustment... Sounds like you might need a new mechanic. A leak down test could confirm a bad headgasket, and he should run a compression test as well.

2. However, Im reading that people are creating this "1.5JZ" where they put a 1JZ Head on a 2JZ-GE, because they wanna keep the displacement of the 2JZ; yet have a better flowing Head, with Twin Turbos.

The reason people do this is either because they lost the stock 1jz bottom end or they want the extra displacement. 1jzgte exhaust valves are bigger, 2jzgte intake valves are bigger, 2jzgte has more aggressive cams, 1jzgte exhaust ports 2 and 5 are smaller than the rest..and I haven't figured out why yet.

3. So.. Whats the real reason people do a 1JZ swap

Price..availabilty..because any GTE swap is cooler than NA-T...no distributor...no MAF...

I personally did the 1JZ because to me it sounds better than the 2JZ, and the 1JZ will make all the power I want.

4. From what I've read also; the 1JZ'ers don't even have alotta power either.. Their claiming like 300ish.. Which as far as I know, is pretty low a number for all the hype about JZ Engines..

All it takes is money. I could drop a wad right now and make 600whp, but I won't. The big money is in the MKIV Supra community and is the only reason you see high WHP numbers. Those folks are spending obscene amounts of money on the MKIV Supras. Don't be fooled into thinking they just drop a big turbo and go.. it takes thousands upon thousands of dollars especially if you pay someone to do your dirty work.
Old 06-30-09, 04:10 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^agree, i was thinking of buying a sc3 and going na-t or 1.5jz, either or would be about the same price if you know how to do it at home(i didnt do a TON of research on this as i changed my mind). also thought about a 2jz swap for a hot minute, mostly from the low-end power of the 1jz that i read about(arguable of course).
IF you are serious about this and doing the labor yourself and have no plans to upgrade the engine - other then a rebuild. then i think you would have more fun going na-t/1.5jz, quick and easy with the bolt-on's around - just be sure to rebuild your engine before or VERY soon after. if your having somebody else doing the labor, then you might as well go 1jz/2jz, but that's just me. ill be attempting a single/twin setup on the sc4 when i find one i like(damn CO, great that there are so few sc's around, but sux when your trying to buy one).
Old 06-30-09, 05:20 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
- 1JZ into an SC is one of the easiest engine swaps known to man
- stock twins good to about 15psi (reliably)
- 300whp is easy on stock twins
- looks fresh as f*&#, way nicer than NA-T
- cheaper than NA-T (NA-T done right)
- super duper flat torque curve, twins spin quick
- gets more Ahhhs and Oooohs than NA-T
- built bottom end for going single

Point is that you can't go wrong with 1JZ
^^^What he said^^^^
-I can afford a 2jz but why go through the hassle
-300+Hp with the right mods, reliable and kick every, stock G35-7, 350-70z, mustang GT, Hemi powered Chrys, E550 and the Occasional 335i, out there. At 1/3rd the price yes these are the cars I have beaten in my little ole 1jz.
- Go single and you can hit 500-600hp. Yea I know 2jz is good for 700-1000hp, but at that point it's a trailer queen.
- 1jz-gte is very under rated and yet like 80% of the swaps on here have them.
- Don't believe the hype parts are readily available for the 1jz in as much as 2jz. Never had a problem finding parts for it.
-Best of all....IT'S CHEAP POWER. BOOST AWAY!!!!!
Old 06-30-09, 05:27 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think Id boost a motor with 195k... so you'd already be looking at sourcing a new lower mileage GE motor if you go NA-T. You can buy NA-T kits online for cheap, but those kits wont net you much more power than a BPU 1jz on stock twins. Most of those kits are run on pretty low boost from what Ive seen, with upgrades required if you wanna push into double digits.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. Saying you'd like 600whp is alot different than actually being able to attain 600whp on your daily driver. You need to make sure you're goals are realistic and you have the funds/know how/mechanic to get there. If you don't know even the basic pros/cons to NA-T, 2jz, 1jz... then you should probably keep reading before you start throwin down money.
Old 06-30-09, 05:33 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdc5ind
Rebuilding a 2jzge with 195,000 would be hard for someone new to toyota family....
Hence the "Bottom line is if you can go NA-T, then go for it" line.
Old 06-30-09, 06:03 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
Hence the "Bottom line is if you can go NA-T, then go for it" line.
I didnt disagree.
Old 06-30-09, 06:15 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is 114k miles too much for a 2JZ? I know someone selling 2JZGE motor for $300.. I was wondering if I could slap an XSPower single turbo kit on it and use it as a daily driver.
Old 06-30-09, 06:16 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
I dont think Id boost a motor with 195k... so you'd already be looking at sourcing a new lower mileage GE motor if you go NA-T. You can buy NA-T kits online for cheap, but those kits wont net you much more power than a BPU 1jz on stock twins. Most of those kits are run on pretty low boost from what Ive seen, with upgrades required if you wanna push into double digits.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. Saying you'd like 600whp is alot different than actually being able to attain 600whp on your daily driver. You need to make sure you're goals are realistic and you have the funds/know how/mechanic to get there. If you don't know even the basic pros/cons to NA-T, 2jz, 1jz... then you should probably keep reading before you start throwin down money.
that is the BIGGEST statements you should be looking at, WHATEVER road you take you HAVE to have the know in what your getting into. ive spent the last 2 months just searching about na-t(1jzge and 1uzfe), 1jz and 2jz builds. the main reason why im going 1uz is for the pure fact that there are so few - and i love v8s. either way you go though, 195k on even a gte motor is asking a bit much, na-t with rebuild or just go with a swap. you would be asking a lot from the car gods to boost that motor w/o going for a rebuild in the next 3-10k miles after that(if your lucky).
Old 06-30-09, 06:23 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

This thread is really starting to nudge me over to the 1jz side

Quick Reply: Why a 1JZ-GTE?