Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

synthetic vs engine seals..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 05:09 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic vs engine seals..

engine seals fail.. well in my case anyway, looks like all the seals at the front of the motor took a dump on me a week after switching to full synthetic, gonna replace cam seals, crank seal, timing belt and water pump at the same time, also ati crank damper and fidanza cam gears going in since there coming off anyways might as well upgrade, crying for boost but crap keeps breaking, maintenance before power, now for the pics (courtesy of the samsung omnia)..
Attached Thumbnails synthetic vs engine seals..-oil-leak-pics-058.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-oil-leak-pics-059.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-oil-leak-pics-060.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-oil-leak-pics-062.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-oil-leak-pics-064.jpg  

Old 06-13-09, 05:37 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why switching to synthetic on an old engine? Damage has already been done.
Old 06-13-09, 05:45 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

when i first got my sc my mechanic told me stick with regular oil because of this exact reason, so for three years or so i listened, it only has 90000 miles or so, guess i was just being curious and hard head at the same time oh well live and learn...
Old 06-13-09, 06:05 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya man,thats a low mileage engine .I'd probably do the same thing if mine had low miles like yours
Old 06-13-09, 06:14 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

wow...that sucks a ton. are you sure this is related to the synthetic switch? When seals go out it's usually either wear and tear or too much crankcase pressure due to a faulty PCV valve. After you change out the seals do that valve as well, an extra $3 and it takes 2 seconds to change

nice BFI though

Last edited by StiCk3; 06-13-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-13-09, 06:14 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

especially since im unemployed now like almost 10% of the U.S., i got a bunch of free time trying to be productive.lol unemployment checks and boost hmmmm, gonna make it work
Old 06-13-09, 06:18 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by StiCk3
wow...that sucks a ton.

nice BFI though
yeah man, its almost not that they broke on me, its the mess i dont wanna clean but the bfi was a 6 pack and a crap load of abs, sounds ridiculous i love it.lol
Old 06-13-09, 06:35 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by StiCk3
wow...that sucks a ton. are you sure this is related to the synthetic switch? When seals go out it's usually either wear and tear or too much crankcase pressure due to a faulty PCV valve. After you change out the seals do that valve as well, an extra $3 and it takes 2 seconds to change

nice BFI though
i dont have any pcv valves, when i got the car it was in a wrecking yard and the valve covers were all jacked up, so threw on breathers, no problems for three years, but maybe like all problems it takes time to develop, my main mech is in hawaii so gotta play with it by myself for now. i was planing to put a catch can in when i boost so maybe ill leave it till then, focusing on the seals for now, thanx for the insight though
Old 06-13-09, 08:04 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

you will have to remove your oem fan and shroud and go with an electric fan.because your oem fan will hit your ati damper.also you should go with a five groove serpentine belt.how i know-i have an ati damper and the shop i had it installed at ran into that problem with it hitting.also my serpentine belt started shredding since i went with the less grooved belt,no problems
Old 06-13-09, 08:29 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

flex-a-lites already installed, i think you can see it kinda in the pick, or atleast notice that theres no shroud, but thanx for the heads up with the belt, im getting a gates kevlar timing belt, do you think the phr acc belt will be ok with the ati damper??? http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...945&SearchYN=N its below the electric water pump???
Old 06-14-09, 10:35 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sueno2jz
flex-a-lites already installed, i think you can see it kinda in the pick, or atleast notice that theres no shroud, but thanx for the heads up with the belt, im getting a gates kevlar timing belt, do you think the phr acc belt will be ok with the ati damper??? http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...945&SearchYN=N its below the electric water pump???
did not see the belt.as long as it has five grooves in it and not six it should work.i have a gates serpentine belt i'm not sure which one it is when i get a chance i'll have to look.it is not as wide as the one a t i recommend.the sixth groove was slipping of causeing it to shred.
Old 06-14-09, 11:13 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

thanx 4 the info, ill keep that in mind when comes time to purchase the belt.
Old 06-14-09, 02:07 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think it's b/c of the synthetic oil b/c when i first bought my car it had 285K w/ conventional oil and was leaking as well. i switched to fully synthetic within the third month and it actually stopped the leaking and i'm still running synthetic at over 308K miles....
Old 06-14-09, 02:41 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

Originally Posted by SC300_704
i don't think it's b/c of the synthetic oil b/c when i first bought my car it had 285K w/ conventional oil and was leaking as well. i switched to fully synthetic within the third month and it actually stopped the leaking and i'm still running synthetic at over 308K miles....
thats some awesome mileage, but i really dont know if it was the synthetic or not, but it just seems to have happened right after the switch, but i also drove from cali to florida without any leak or problem whatsoever, so i cant really link the leaks to anything else, spilt milk now
Old 08-01-09, 01:24 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

FINALLY NO LEAKS last pic is just of the bfi
Attached Thumbnails synthetic vs engine seals..-cam-gear-pics-048.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-cam-gear-pics-049.jpg   synthetic vs engine seals..-cam-gear-pics-050.jpg  

Quick Reply: synthetic vs engine seals..