Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ... 2JZ... Jay-Z ... huh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 10:13 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ... 2JZ... Jay-Z ... huh?

I know the difference between a 1JZ and 2JZ, but what is the difference between the Supra 2JZ and the Aristo 2JZ? Checking a few sites, I've seen that the difference in price is substantial... but the stats seems to be close.

As much as I'd like to go with a 2JZ, the 1JZ seems more budget friendly. From what I've read... it looks as though the motors are a direct drop-in except for the sub-frame...
I also see that most everyone sends their harnesses to Dr. Tweak. Regarding that issue, what part of the harness needs to "touched" and what is this about the R73 and tach?

I'm not looking for monster horsepower, just something really fun to drive. So other than new seals, gaskets, waterpump, belts, and maybe a few bolt-ons, I'm not going to be doing much to the motor.

Here is the deal... I don't own an SC yet. I'm being pretty picky on which one I'm gonna buy. But I am FOR SURE going to buy one. My plan is to start on a motor, and have it ready to drop in by the time I buy one.
Old 05-24-09, 10:38 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

The just get a 1UZ, it will be cheaper than either off those motors and lighter than a 2JZ...build it up with twin turbos instead of cams and all that other fun stuff and you'll have an awesome motor ready for less than the 1JZ. Plus you can pick up a W58 manual for cheap and I know the guy who makes the adapter plates. Trust me you'll be soooo happy with this setup.
Old 05-24-09, 10:44 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Well... that could be an option...

But, I'm thinking, by the time I get a turbo, supporting mods, and custom tuning... the price will be much highter than a 1JZ or 2JZ, which has tons of aftermarket support and knowledge.
Old 05-25-09, 12:59 AM
Ryeno
Banned

I would go with the 2jz-gte or na-t. Why? Because you are in california. If you ever get pulled over and get sent to the referee with a na-t setup you can just put the car back to stock. And with a 2jz-gte well as long as you jdm to usdm conversion the swap is legal. 1jz is never going to be street legal.

The difference between a supra jdm 2jz-gte v a aristo 2jz-gte is basically the wiring harness, water pump and oil pan. The difference between a jdm and usdm engine is the maf,ecu,one cam gear,turbos and egr.

BTW I was searching today and found a post about a guy who just used the ge harness and spliced the gte stuff on top of it, no need to send in the harness to dr.tweek for 400-600 dollars.

As for doing a 1jz swap over a 2jz its not really THAT much cheaper. Realistically the difference in swap price is going to be based on how much you get the motor set for. I wont say names but i know one person here who paid 2500 for his motor set and another person who paid 1100 for it( Both 1jz). Honestly you could easily buy a aristo 2jz-gte in that range. If you do the swap right you are going to put in all new seals anyways, water pump and timing belt. The only real difference between a 1jz soarer and 2jz aristo is going to be the oil pan(buy new one or tap) and the supra sway bar.

Oh course this is just the engine, you still have the transmission side of this puzzle and then suspension/brakes.

P.S. as for getting a 1uz, thats a joke. I hope.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=255935

Last edited by Ryeno; 05-25-09 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-25-09, 11:08 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
P.S. as for getting a 1uz, thats a joke. I hope.
Just wait until my buddy gets his done. Then we'll see what will look like a joke.
Old 05-25-09, 11:17 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I've been thinking about this all night. I'm not too "worried" about smog... as of right now. I'll be moving back to Texas soon.

Going NA-T sounds really good, just because of the cost factor.... but I'm stupid, and really want to go for the 2JZ, because of the baller factor... that, and it looks much better than having the intake manifold sit over the valve cover.
Old 05-25-09, 01:05 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

1UZ isn't a complete joke, it's just different. If i had the time and $$$ to do something different, a 1UZ is a really neat choice. I've seen a 1UZ swap in a MKIII and let me tell you, it sounds nasty! Also with the 1UZ you could live with the stock engine for a while and get through emission laws over there because it is a legal swap.

between the 2JZ and 1JZ for a swap though, i would go with a 2JZ. You would have a lot more fun playing with a 2JZ because of the extra displacement and it would be a little easier to swap in. the difference between the JDM Supra 2JZ and Aristo 2JZ is the wiring, but that is something that Dr. Tweek can solve easily.

Seeing as you don't have a car but you do have a computer, take your time and do a TON of research between the two and see which one will suit you best. Even if you buy the car you still have to buy the engine, tranny, rear end, etc. so take your time and most importantly be patient. Everything will come to you if you're willing to wait.
Old 05-25-09, 02:22 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Trust me, I've got the patience... I have my daily, so this is mostly just gonna be my fun little toy, since the wife took my other toys away from me.

Ok, after some more reading, I'm now leaning towards the 2JZ.
I see most engines for sale are already coming with the ECU, tranny, and harness... I don't mind sticking with the auto, only because the wife is gonna wanna drive it. But I didn't know the rear end needed to be swapped also. I thought the GE rear end was good enough. Again, I'm not looking for huge horses here.
Old 05-25-09, 02:27 PM
Ryeno
Banned

What are you looking for? Anything over 400ish and you will need a new tranny (manual) or a built auto.

As for the diff, most people swap because they want an LSD not because it will fail.
Old 05-25-09, 02:49 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Oh, I see... Well for now, I'm going with 350-400, and even then I'm being very optimistic. In reality, I'd be happy with 300 to the ground... I'm easy to please.
When I get tired of it, then I'll worry about supporting mods.

Just to kick things off, I'm just worried of getting in in and it firing up.

Regarding the harness and Dr. Tweak. Let's say if I were to go with the Aristo 2JZ, will he need that harness plus my stock harness? Or only the Aristo harness?
Old 05-25-09, 02:52 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

with a tranny swap you will need a matching ring gear to go with it thus a new rear end, but seeing as you want to keep it auto (which is what im assuming you're buying) then you should be fine.
Old 05-26-09, 10:12 AM
SC40095
Driver

Can't go wrong with Jigga. Sorry, just had to say it since you put it in your title.
Old 05-26-09, 10:34 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

haha... that's cool.. On my rx8 forum, everyone photoshops his face into an engine bay everytime someone joins and talks big about trying to swap a 2JZ in.

Alright, so... here are the plans.

Aristo 2JZ (I'm going to try get one with ECU, tranny, and harness)
Seals and gaskets
Water Pump
Timing Belt
Oil Pan???

If anyone else wants to chime in I'd appreciate it.

What sucks is that I just moved out here to California last year, and before that, I worked at a Toyota dealership in Texas for 9 years. I would've been able to get a lot of parts for dirt cheap....
Old 05-26-09, 10:47 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by captainsc
Just wait until my buddy gets his done. Then we'll see what will look like a joke.
Your buddy also works on his car himself so it is cost effective for him and he can make some of his own parts.
Old 05-26-09, 09:11 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dew23
Your buddy also works on his car himself
Doesn't everybody? How else can people afford to mod cars?

Quick Reply: 1JZ... 2JZ... Jay-Z ... huh?