Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 to 1uz Adapter Plate (WITH PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 03:12 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony320
Looks like a pretty sweet project dude! Quick question though about the manual swap. I've been wondering whether the engine will play nice without an auto tranny, or if you will be getting a constant CEL?

Originally Posted by kwheels
Im guessing it will probably be similar to using the auto ECU on a manual swap on a 300...you have to use heavy duty resistors to trick the ecu into thinking there are solenoids there, and tricking it into thinking its in neutral so you can shift...
Ive been driving around for a year with my 1uz supra with a manual the only check engine light i got was related to the secondary o2's not being present, The ecu doesn't even seem to notice the lack of transmission, I'm sure internally its screaming SHIFT SHIFT SHIFT DAMN IT, but its not complaining to me.

Before i did the swap was told i would have to do some funky resister trick, never needed to, i ended up unpinning all the transmission related wires from the ecu. just to clean things up. this may be a year/country/model specific thing but Matt has the same motor as i do so it should be the same for him.
Old 02-27-09, 06:24 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

What a reasonably priced adapter. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I decide to pick up a VIP UCF21 later on down the road.
Old 03-01-09, 06:35 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, well I went to a Florida meet today and funny enough, there was a demo model with the adapter plate, guess he had been busy. I snapped a pic for you guys to see how it works. Looks like 3 weeks or so til mine is done.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 03-01-09 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 07:26 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Supercharging my 400 was fun enough, time to get it into manual

I will be buying this adapter next pay check, and likely swapping it out before end of March
Old 12-04-09, 05:22 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Man you guys are straight car freaks. At first I had no idea about what redphoenix was talking about, an adapter plate? Now thanks to this thread, I just now understand it's to use the existing bell housing so that the w58 would still mate up to the 1uz engine, Lol.. You guys are so clever. And guess what? I will cancel my sale on the w58 tranny swap that I have from the 95sc300, because thanks to you guys, I'm gonna have to pull the a650e. The adapter should work with the a650e bell housing right? I was so thinking about keeping my 98 400 as stock as possible. But I've made up my mind to do the swap. Also, would I have issues with the lenth of the dry shaft?
Old 12-05-09, 07:26 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
Ive been driving around for a year with my 1uz supra with a manual the only check engine light i got was related to the secondary o2's not being present, The ecu doesn't even seem to notice the lack of transmission, I'm sure internally its screaming SHIFT SHIFT SHIFT DAMN IT, but its not complaining to me.

Before i did the swap was told i would have to do some funky resister trick, never needed to, i ended up unpinning all the transmission related wires from the ecu. just to clean things up. this may be a year/country/model specific thing but Matt has the same motor as i do so it should be the same for him.
Can anyone confirm these words to be true?

Worrying about a CEL is the only thing stopping me from doing this swap cause NY is istant inspection fail if you have a CEL
Old 12-05-09, 07:50 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
Can anyone confirm these words to be true?

Worrying about a CEL is the only thing stopping me from doing this swap cause NY is istant inspection fail if you have a CEL

lol Could of just PM'd me, I already have this done.

So far I have been involved with these years

(2) 1992 SC 1uz Engines
(1) 1993 SC 1uz Engine
(1) 1995 SC 1uz Engine
(1) 1994 LS 1uz Engine

There were NO CEL's related to the transmission. All the local 1uz MK3 swaps have done away with the sub o2 sensors hence that code, but for me, I dont have any CEL's on.

Jake is also working on a 1997 1uz into his 86 toyota pickup, soon enough I can tell you if the OBD2 1uz's throw a code for no transmission (although I think Scott already proved it does... I dont remember).

The ONLY thing that happens is that when you plug in the speed sensor the gauge is off slightly due to the gearing and the OD light flashes because there is NO auto transmission there. I simple pulled out the bulb because OD light is no longer needed in a manual vehicle.

Further more to show how lame the 92 1uz ECU is to picking up codes... I removed my EGR Valve Thanksgiving of 2008... It has yet to throw a single code, I didnt even resistor mod it.
Old 12-05-09, 07:59 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

LOL. This sounds promising. I have a 97 SC400 so I will anxiously be awaiting the verdict on that toyota pickup
Old 12-05-09, 08:11 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix

There were NO CEL's related to the transmission.

The ONLY thing that happens is that when you plug in the speed sensor the gauge is off slightly due to the gearing and the OD light flashes because there is NO auto transmission there. I simple pulled out the bulb because OD light is no longer needed in a manual vehicle.
Does your cruise control still work?
Old 12-05-09, 08:21 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Does your cruise control still work?

Never tried. I removed it before I swapped it because I didn't feel like re-pinning the IS300 steering wheel to make it work, lol.
Old 12-05-09, 08:24 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

While you are here Scott did you have a CEL for transmission related issues when you went manual on your car?

and as for the cruise control I also wont be as much help because I have mine deleted for my aftermarket steering wheel
Old 12-05-09, 08:26 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. This sounds promising. I have a 97 SC400 so I will anxiously be awaiting the verdict on that toyota pickup
Wiring should start anyday on it. He just landed the motor in the engine bay after some modding here and there. He will be also testing the power handling of the W55 (or W56, forgot which comes in the truck). Extremely short gears, should be funny to see this thing hook, if ever.

Old 12-05-09, 08:29 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Oh Dang! I might want to stop by to see this!
Old 12-05-09, 05:24 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While you are here Scott did you have a CEL for transmission related issues when you went manual on your car?

and as for the cruise control I also wont be as much help because I have mine deleted for my aftermarket steering wheel
Trying to remember but I recall the OD light and trac light giving me fits, CEL was on due to EGR but I am sure these other lights would contribute. My dash looked like a Xmas tree. LOL
All will be fixed with the stand alone I hope.
Old 12-05-09, 07:27 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I don't think Overdrive light or Traction light being on or flashing would Fail you for a NYS inspection. So that sounds good.

This is a great thing to hear for me