Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 SC300 (vvti) convert to 5peed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 11:57 AM
cptnizzmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SC300 (vvti) convert to 5peed

hello everyone well im kind new to this forum i have been trying to reasearch information regarding if its possible to swap a 5 speed manual transmission on a motor that is vvti? I was told that since the 98-00 did not make any (MT) that if i was to use a ECU (MT) from the early years that a check engine light would turn on. After reading diffrent post reagrding this car i thought it was simple to just drop a 2jzgte and call it a day but i guess i was wrong. I was wondering if you guys can just share some experience with the concern that im going through and if you have some further information who has done this conversation if you dont mind sharing the knowledge.

Well guys i hope i did not take too much of your time reading this and if this information was already discuss if you guys can guide me to the link ... thanks guys.. have a good day..
Old 02-19-09, 01:24 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dont post threads.

one option which has never been discussed really is a is300 5spd ecu. it is a 5spd ecu and used with a vvti motor. the problem might be the body plugs going to the gauges but if that is switched over, not that big of a deal, it should theoretically work.

how does swapping a 2jzgte solve your transmission problems?
Old 02-19-09, 02:03 PM
gldndrgn14
Pole Position

did the 98 na supra come with manuals? if they did, then you could use that, it is virtually the same in and out as our car.
Old 02-19-09, 02:26 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1997 last year for 5spd cars..

I bet you could buy the pedal,transmission,clutch master and slave, and call it a day.

If course, you'd have to cut a hole for the shifter, but that'd be fairly easy to do.
Old 02-19-09, 04:05 PM
cptnizzmo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
dont post threads.

one option which has never been discussed really is a is300 5spd ecu. it is a 5spd ecu and used with a vvti motor. the problem might be the body plugs going to the gauges but if that is switched over, not that big of a deal, it should theoretically work.

how does swapping a 2jzgte solve your transmission problems?

Someone had mention this to me but your right i was kinda scared with the connection of the plugs.

Well i guess the only way is going to a full swap ( Right )

Well thank you guys for the info .. sorry if i broke some rules in posting newbe here... but i will learn ... Thanks again
Old 02-19-09, 04:19 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig.
Old 02-19-09, 07:44 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptnizzmo
hello everyone well im kind new to this forum i have been trying to reasearch information regarding if its possible to swap a 5 speed manual transmission on a motor that is vvti? I was told that since the 98-00 did not make any (MT) that if i was to use a ECU (MT) from the early years that a check engine light would turn on. After reading diffrent post reagrding this car i thought it was simple to just drop a 2jzgte and call it a day but i guess i was wrong. I was wondering if you guys can just share some experience with the concern that im going through and if you have some further information who has done this conversation if you dont mind sharing the knowledge.

Well guys i hope i did not take too much of your time reading this and if this information was already discuss if you guys can guide me to the link ... thanks guys.. have a good day..
I did the 5 Speed W58 Swap on my 99 SC300. The Check Engine Light would come on but you can check with DR.Tweak for one of his transmission Simulator to eliminate the CEL. I have a IS300 and was thinking about plugging in the ECU to see it would have been compatible with the SC300 but never did because I decided on doing the 2jzgte vvti Swap. I have the 99 SC300 ECU and chip and I might try to Swap it into my IS300 when I can find the time
Old 02-20-09, 08:03 AM
cptnizzmo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TURBO819
I did the 5 Speed W58 Swap on my 99 SC300. The Check Engine Light would come on but you can check with DR.Tweak for one of his transmission Simulator to eliminate the CEL. I have a IS300 and was thinking about plugging in the ECU to see it would have been compatible with the SC300 but never did because I decided on doing the 2jzgte vvti Swap. I have the 99 SC300 ECU and chip and I might try to Swap it into my IS300 when I can find the time

Hey sir thanks for sharing some light into this obstacle. I guess the next homework for me to do is to find Dr. Tweaks (pm) or contact info... lol any idea? So the next question that i have when you did your W58 swap on your old motor did it shift properly knowing the vvti is so sensitive that it couold also throw you timming being that you have a check engine light on?

Also next my next question was on your new motor right now did you have any other issue with the CEL or had any problems with the wirring ... thanks again.
Old 02-20-09, 04:45 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptnizzmo
Dr. Tweaks (pm) or contact info... lol any idea? So when you did your W58 swap on your old motor did it shift properly knowing the vvti is so sensitive that it could also throw you timing being that you have a check engine light on?

On your new motor right now did you have any other issue with the CEL or had any problems with the wiring ... thanks again.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/54466-dr-tweak.html

With the W58 Swap on the 2jzge vvti it shift end ran perfectly fine to me. I did two W58 Swaps one in a 95 SC300 & 4.08:1 (Manual Rear End). and one in a 99 SC300 & 4.27:1 (Automatic Rear End). In the 95 SC300 I kept the Auto ECU installed and did notice if you revved the car almost to red line the car seemed to lose power for a second or two until you shift. I thought it might be do to the Auto ECU. It was sold before I was able to get a manual ECU for it. The new owner installed a manual ECU and said that he never experienced that issue. So I don't know. In the 99 SC300 I had no issue but it would shoot to red line faster and pull harder than the 95 SC300 I had prior. This might be do to the vvti and the 4.27:1 (Automatic rear end). With both cars the Check Engine was on. With the 2jzgte vvti Swap I have now the CEL is on and I am doing a little research about getting a JAPAN'S Scanner or information on Pulling the CODE. The car runs and idle just like before the Swap so I am a little PUZZLED