Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

advantages of forged pistons over stock TT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 10:47 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Default advantages of forged pistons over stock TT?

I'm wondering if there's any advantages of using forged pistons over stock pistons for sub-1000 whp. I've seen the rods to be the least reliable, and i was thinking of using new stock pistons with carrillos H beam, what do you guys think?
Old 01-20-09, 01:55 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a good combination, can't really go wrong with Carillos. Pistons would be the last part to worry about with stock TT parts IMHO. You must really be building something to keep questioning the integrity of stock TT parts....
Old 01-20-09, 04:39 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
That would be a good combination, can't really go wrong with Carillos. Pistons would be the last part to worry about with stock TT parts IMHO. You must really be building something to keep questioning the integrity of stock TT parts....

If it wasn't for you Jon i wouldn't have many answers to my non-coolant lines related questions LOL Like i said before if you remember, i wanna have a reliable bullet proof engine. And most importantly, i know myself, that 500 mark won't satisfy me for long before i would like to push the limits And that GT35R will be out the window as soon as funds and time cooperate I know from the SF that the Carrillos can take some abuse, but how big is the difference between H and A beams? And is Eagle H beam that much inferior to Carillos? I like to over-do things and have some peace of mind, especially as i'm prepping the car for Road Racing, so endurance is very necessary
Old 01-20-09, 05:17 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
If it wasn't for you Jon i wouldn't have many answers to my non-coolant lines related questions LOL Like i said before if you remember, i wanna have a reliable bullet proof engine. And most importantly, i know myself, that 500 mark won't satisfy me for long before i would like to push the limits And that GT35R will be out the window as soon as funds and time cooperate I know from the SF that the Carrillos can take some abuse, but how big is the difference between H and A beams? And is Eagle H beam that much inferior to Carillos? I like to over-do things and have some peace of mind, especially as i'm prepping the car for Road Racing, so endurance is very necessary
Lawl at the drastic increase over stock from gettin rid of those, astounding and didn't even have to add a spacer. The thing with H beams is that the design of the "H" style itself is much stronger than stock or "A" beam because the body of the rod itself isn wider and equal length across. An "A" beam gets progressively smaller towards the bottom. This creates a weak point in the design at the point of smallest diameter. Think of like chopping down a tree, how is it done? You chop out a section of the bottom of tree to make it smaller towards the bottom right? Then what happens? That particular section of tree gets to the point where it not longer can sustain the entire weight of the tree and it breaks. Of course this isn't an apples to apples comparison but does explain the broad basics of it. The point of greatest tension is when the the combustion chamber ignites and it puts an incredible amount of force to rocket the piston/rod the exact opposite direction from which it just came. With an H beam, there is no weak point for the force to overwhelm and break. With an A beam, the area of smallest diamter will take the largest hit. So the force is "equalized" if you will with an H beam throughout the rod. Not to mention with Carrillos they are about 200 grams lighter and all of them are balanced. If you're going with the bulletproof theme you can't go wrong with Carrillos. Hope that helps.