Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C Line Repair???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 07:11 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Line Repair???

While replacing my Radiator today I bumped the A/C line that runs alone the bottom of the radiator and now it is leaking pretty bad! It must just have a little crack in the skinny little silver A/C Line.

Are these A/C Lines repairable or do you have to replace the entire Line????
Old 01-10-09, 07:15 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have the time and resources you can remove it and have a skilled welder fill the hole. skilled is important because welding Al is different then steel and the pipes are small and thin-walled.

if you want to be cheap and ghetto you can try JB Weld but i wouldnt recommend it.

do you have a picture of what you did? pictures says a 1000 words
Old 01-10-09, 07:41 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
While replacing my Radiator today I bumped the A/C line that runs alone the bottom of the radiator and now it is leaking pretty bad! It must just have a little crack in the skinny little silver A/C Line.

Are these A/C Lines repairable or do you have to replace the entire Line????

The thin line is the high pressure side. Recommend that you get that side replaced then get the whole system vacuumed out by a tech and then oil/refrigerant added.

It shouldn't be too expensive if your system is R-134a. If it is R-12 like mine then you can get it recharged (about $100 per pound) OR consider getting it converted to 134a.
Old 01-10-09, 08:18 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Im just really mad because I Just had the system vacuumed out and refilled with oil and R-13 freon about 3 weeks ago!

I was just wondering if the entire line had to be replaced or there was some type of repair solution. Replacing the entire line looks like it would be a huge pain in the ***.

Has anyone ever replaced the "high pressure" line that runs along the bottom of the car parallel with the radiator??

I figured there may be some sort of "wrap product" on the market that you can just wrap around the part that is leaking?

My leak is right where there is a bracket holding the line! Please Dont laugh at the rubber band and zip tie! HA HA
Attached Thumbnails A/C Line Repair???-dsc02200.jpg  
Old 01-11-09, 10:51 AM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Do you think putting JB weld on the leak and the wrapping a rubber hose around that and then putting a clamp around the rubber hose that would fix the leak??

Replacing the entire high pressure line looks like a huge expensive task that may not be worth doing on such an old car!
Old 01-11-09, 11:20 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have the line, 200 shipped if you need it.
Old 01-11-09, 01:24 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

No one else has ever broken a A/C line on there Lexus??

If you were going to repair the leak which would you use??

- JB Weld
or
- West systems G-Flex Epoxy link = http://www.westsystem.com/ss/gflex/
Old 01-11-09, 02:05 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No one else has ever broken a A/C line on there Lexus??

If you were going to repair the leak which would you use??

- JB Weld
or
- West systems G-Flex Epoxy link = http://www.westsystem.com/ss/gflex/
only way to repair is to weld it, or replace it.
Old 01-12-09, 10:09 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Im just really mad because I Just had the system vacuumed out and refilled with oil and R-13 freon about 3 weeks ago!

I was just wondering if the entire line had to be replaced or there was some type of repair solution. Replacing the entire line looks like it would be a huge pain in the ***.

Has anyone ever replaced the "high pressure" line that runs along the bottom of the car parallel with the radiator??

I figured there may be some sort of "wrap product" on the market that you can just wrap around the part that is leaking?

My leak is right where there is a bracket holding the line! Please Dont laugh at the rubber band and zip tie! HA HA
Hey man it is R-12 not 13 edit that. Replace the line don't (JB weld ) the line on a high pressure side epic fail. Welding it would work ,but if the weld goes into the small hole inside the tube you would have a restriction. That would cause high pressure in the lines and cause the line or a fitting to blow off. Not worth spending more money on a ghetto fix. You also run the risk of wearing the rest of the life out of the compressor because of the higher line pressures. You can find the line at a junkyard if you want it for cheaper. Replace the o rings on the ends of the lines. DO NOT use black o rings those are not for A/C use. Or you can go to a custom line shop and they can make your own A/C replacement line they just use the end fittings. Tell them the length and if you need a certain bend in it somewhere tell them that also. From the picture it looks like your leaking coolant man. Do you have another leak besides that or is that the leak and you thought it was your A/C?
Old 01-20-09, 04:55 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Fixed The leaky line and got it filled up again yesterday.

Anyone else that ever has a leak in there line I suggest you save a bunch of money!

You can cut out the bad section of line and splice in a new section with "high compression fittings"!!
The fittings i used are good for 3,000 psi!

Only cost $15 for parts and another $30 for FREON................beats paying the $500-$1000 I was getting quoted from local shops!
Attached Thumbnails A/C Line Repair???-100_0540.jpg  
Old 01-23-09, 11:10 AM
Vander
Driver

Good job on saving all that money and doing it yourself, what store did you get those compression fittings from?
Old 07-13-12, 07:19 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by Vander
Good job on saving all that money and doing it yourself, what store did you get those compression fittings from?
I am wondering where to get these high compression fittings as well as the line. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-12, 08:41 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elite7
I am wondering where to get these high compression fittings as well as the line. Any help would be appreciated.
if your local hardware or auto parts store doesnt have em order em offline. I though about doing this for a couple leaks i had but a local hose supply store welded a whole new section of line for like 40 bucks
Old 07-14-12, 03:12 PM
dawizone
Rookie

AC is never as expensive as quoted a good welder can patch small holes and r12 to r134 is not that expensive of a conversion... also Pull-A-Part should be in everyones old SC GPS, pull an old line and inspect it...
for conversions Lexus wants you to replace everything but really all is needed is 134 conversion connections and a new dryer... I converted mine for about $40 bucks in parts... vacuumed and charged the system and it works great... remember when filling an original R-12 system with R-134 it only takes 80% of the listed volume