Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tremec TKO to 1UZ-FE kit, wonder if they can make a 2jz one

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 05:06 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tremec TKO to 1UZ-FE kit, wonder if they can make a 2jz one

Tremec TKO to 1UZ-FE kit, wonder if they can make a 2jz one

check it out, it's a kit that adapts the Tremec to the 1UZ-FE

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Gearbox...rsions-325.asp
Old 12-26-08, 07:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the description says that it adaptes the r154 to the uz-fe series motors. why are you asking if you need a kit to adapt an r154 to the 2jz. get a soarer 1jzgte bell housing and put a r154 behind the 2jz or 1jz. simple. if you use the supra r154 you will need to make a few shifter modifications which have been discussed. use search...

EDIT: woo hoo 2,222th post
Old 12-26-08, 07:10 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the description says that it adaptes the r154 to the uz-fe series motors. why are you asking if you need a kit to adapt an r154 to the 2jz. get a soarer 1jzgte bell housing and put a r154 behind the 2jz or 1jz. simple. if you use the supra r154 you will need to make a few shifter modifications which have been discussed. use search...

EDIT: woo hoo 2,222th post
I think he's talking about this link. I had to scroll further down on the link he provided.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/TKO600_...-THOR00331.asp
Old 12-26-08, 07:25 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

why do you need to put on a GM trans anyways. since you want this trans to go on a 2jz instead of the uz-fe series motor the gearing of the tko 600 is gonna suck. the stock gearing in the 2jz cars for first is about 3.70's im pretty sure. the tko has a 2.80's first gear. its okay if you have a v8 with a lot of torque to turn it but on a 6 cyl it will be pretty doggy.

what is your goal for the car? same as most lexus owners?...put a bunch of expensive parts together, learn their names, and some what learn what they do...lol
Old 12-27-08, 12:19 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you need to put on a GM trans anyways. since you want this trans to go on a 2jz instead of the uz-fe series motor the gearing of the tko 600 is gonna suck. the stock gearing in the 2jz cars for first is about 3.70's im pretty sure. the tko has a 2.80's first gear. its okay if you have a v8 with a lot of torque to turn it but on a 6 cyl it will be pretty doggy.

what is your goal for the car? same as most lexus owners?...put a bunch of expensive parts together, learn their names, and some what learn what they do...lol
um.. no
my car is a NAT, and with my stock W58 the gears are super short with the trubo motor, it does not stay in the power band long because, my rear is also stock at 4.08 If you know about NAT's or have driven one you would know the 4.08 is too high, and the gearing needs to be lowered.
Most people with NAT and manual transmission try to get their hands on a Aristo/auto TT rear diff, which whill lower it, but they don't exactly grow on trees
no I'm not buying expensive parts just because someone is selling them. And FYI, not all TKO's have the same gearing

the point of the post is that if the TKO can be fitted into a Sc and mated to the V8, having it mated to the 2jz isn't gonna b a stretch. It would be nice for people to have options instead of the R154.....
soarer ones are getting extremely rare, even good R154 are getting harder to find, since the nissan crowd has been buying them up and using them in the 240 chassis

Last edited by dumdumgreg; 12-27-08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-27-08, 03:17 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if r154 can be mounted to the UZ doesnt that mean this kit would work on the JZ engine as well as the UZ? not sure, just asking...
Old 12-27-08, 03:54 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
um.. no
my car is a NAT, and with my stock W58 the gears are super short with the trubo motor, it does not stay in the power band long because, my rear is also stock at 4.08 If you know about NAT's or have driven one you would know the 4.08 is too high, and the gearing needs to be lowered.
Most people with NAT and manual transmission try to get their hands on a Aristo/auto TT rear diff, which whill lower it, but they don't exactly grow on trees
no I'm not buying expensive parts just because someone is selling them. And FYI, not all TKO's have the same gearing

the point of the post is that if the TKO can be fitted into a Sc and mated to the V8, having it mated to the 2jz isn't gonna b a stretch. It would be nice for people to have options instead of the R154.....
soarer ones are getting extremely rare, even good R154 are getting harder to find, since the nissan crowd has been buying them up and using them in the 240 chassis
na-t is all nice and great and i do know what you're talking about. i also know that the gearing is not all the same. there is gearing variations between v160 and v161...just an example.

why dont you just find a GS rear end and buy an actual lsd. the lsd will be the expensive part but sourcing the diff or just the gears is not hard. im sure if you contact gazi and tell him you need a gs rear end he can get it for a couple of hundred bucks. the lsd will run you anywhere from 650 to 100 depending on what you get and how hard you look.

you can do whatever you want but i think that reinventing the wheel is not necssary. that kit from thor racing is 750 pounds which is about 1000-1100 bucks. then you still need a flywheel. and you will still need an lsd.

oh and i forgot to mention...you still need the trans

use your money more effectively and get a gs rear end gear. it wont be the best solution but definitely the best bang for the buck.

another option is finding a mk4 supra TT torsen pumpkin. those rear ends are 3.16 or 3.26 gear. definitely low enough
Old 12-27-08, 03:56 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

na-t is all nice and great and i do know what you're talking about. i also know that the gearing is not all the same. there is gearing variations between v160 and v161...just an example.

why dont you just find a GS rear end and buy an actual lsd. the lsd will be the expensive part but sourcing the diff or just the gears is not hard. im sure if you contact gazi and tell him you need a gs rear end he can get it for a couple of hundred bucks. the lsd will run you anywhere from 650 to 100 depending on what you get and how hard you look.

you can do whatever you want but i think that reinventing the wheel is not necssary. that kit from thor racing is 750 pounds which is about 1000-1100 bucks. then you still need a flywheel. and you will still need an lsd.

oh and i forgot to mention...you still need the trans

use your money more effectively and get a gs rear end gear. it wont be the best solution but definitely the best bang for the buck.

another option is finding a mk4 supra TT torsen pumpkin. those rear ends are 3.16 or 3.26 gear. definitely low enough
well put, so in the end its same if not more expensive than just getting a v160, unless u alredy have a TKO sitting around...
Old 12-27-08, 04:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
well put, so in the end its same if not more expensive than just getting a v160, unless u alredy have a TKO sitting around...
v160 is still probably more money but the tko is not a cheap trans either.
Old 12-27-08, 04:09 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

i had a tko 600 in my stang wish i kept the trans.. oh well. TKO is not a god of a trans i was running 3.73 final gears that thing hauled. but then again my engine had alot more TQ than HP lol. it's a good trans and lots of aftermarket parts for it. and ridiculous short shifters. my short shifter was 3/4" throw from 1st to 2nd and spring loaded for 3rd.