Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blown Differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 04:36 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Differential

I converted my 1j sc to 5 speed a couple months ago and all went well other than a loud r154. two days ago the rear started making a loud banging shrudder sound from the right rear wheel when i take off from a dead stop.

There is alot of oil leaking from the front seal of the diff also. I never had a diff blow on me so is this the signs of a blown diff?
Old 12-24-08, 06:42 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

nobody knows what a broken diff feels like ? .
Old 12-24-08, 03:37 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

brownmagic should know about this. im pretty sure you diff is blown...

youll have drop it out either way, why not check and post pics?
Old 12-24-08, 06:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when mine blew it first started being loud and clunky and then one day taking off a dead stop it just went "bam" and the car was dead in its tracks. put it in gear and it would not do anything.
Old 12-25-08, 06:02 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
when mine blew it first started being loud and clunky and then one day taking off a dead stop it just went "bam" and the car was dead in its tracks. put it in gear and it would not do anything.
I thought the v8 diff would be stronger since its getting more torque compared to the ge. I guess high miles and wheel hop on first gear contributed to this. I inspected rear subframe and nothing looks loose or broken, I did a car fax and found out this car lives most of its life in the Wi and Il states so because of that the subframe is rusted bad. I and going to replace the complete rear sub assembly in a couple of weeks.

brownmagic should know about this. im pretty sure you diff is blown...

youll have drop it out either way, why not check and post pics?

I guess i can make a writeup on how to remove the rear subframe .I am not 100% sure but i did read that the supra, sc and gs uses the same rear subframe. I will give gazi a shout to confirm this.

Thanks for the replys guys I know it was something bad, luckily i parked it before it had the chance to give out on me .Getting the car towed with a jic kit is impossible.
Old 12-25-08, 12:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the diff on the sc400 and sc300 is the same as far as the housing. the difference is in the gearing. sc400 had lower gearing since it has more torque.

subframe removal is easy. im in the process of doing all my control arm bushings. i will be dropping my rear subframe tomorrow.
Old 12-26-08, 07:06 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

were you torsen or open diff?
Old 12-26-08, 08:59 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
I thought the v8 diff would be stronger since its getting more torque compared to the ge. I guess high miles and wheel hop on first gear contributed to this. I inspected rear subframe and nothing looks loose or broken, I did a car fax and found out this car lives most of its life in the Wi and Il states so because of that the subframe is rusted bad. I and going to replace the complete rear sub assembly in a couple of weeks.

I guess i can make a writeup on how to remove the rear subframe .I am not 100% sure but i did read that the supra, sc and gs uses the same rear subframe. I will give gazi a shout to confirm this.

Thanks for the replys guys I know it was something bad, luckily i parked it before it had the chance to give out on me .Getting the car towed with a jic kit is impossible.

Wheelhop kills rear end parts for sure. And yeah, better to replace the subframe while you're thinking about it than have it break on you like Black_SC did.

Look into some parts like traction bars and the FSM solid diff mounts, that should help the wheel hop a bit so you don't keep breaking stuff over and over again.
Old 12-26-08, 07:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I blew a diff once. After months of abuse at the drag strip I knew the day was someday going to come. There was fluid around the diff case which is a warning sign. When you roll off a dead stop you can hear and feel a clunk in the rear. I never had to replace and sub frames. I just unbolted the axles, unbolted the driveshaft, unbolted the diff, and down came the diff.
Old 12-27-08, 08:13 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

wow that sucks man, a week ago I replaced my diff with a early sc400 diff and installed the trd lsd, when I went to remove my old diff I drained it first and at my surprise I found about 8 pieces of teeth about half inch long and a lot of metal bits, I was going to keep my old diff as a spare but I was so disgusted that I just threw it away. I never felt anything wrong with the diff, it was a stock diff with plus 200k of miles.
Old 12-28-08, 06:46 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the diff on the sc400 and sc300 is the same as far as the housing. the difference is in the gearing. sc400 had lower gearing since it has more torque.

subframe removal is easy. im in the process of doing all my control arm bushings. i will be dropping my rear subframe tomorrow.
My upper bushings are toasted too .Which bushings are you using ? Im gonna use the prothane bushings since its a good bang for the buck .Can you snap some pics if you can. Loooking at the subframe it looks like there are 6 main bolts that has to be removed to get it out .

were you torsen or open diff?
I think the sc have a open diff.

Wheelhop kills rear end parts for sure. And yeah, better to replace the subframe while you're thinking about it than have it break on you like Black_SC did.

Look into some parts like traction bars and the FSM solid diff mounts, that should help the wheel hop a bit so you don't keep breaking stuff over and over again.
So i guess wheelhop killed it. It happened a couple time on first and second gear. I was shocked to see the condition of the subframe . i will definately replace it . The last thing i want to do is replace subframe after replacing the diff and bushings.
Do you have experience with the solid diff mounts? Sounds like a good investment.

I blew a diff once. After months of abuse at the drag strip I knew the day was someday going to come. There was fluid around the diff case which is a warning sign. When you roll off a dead stop you can hear and feel a clunk in the rear. I never had to replace and sub frames. I just unbolted the axles, unbolted the driveshaft, unbolted the diff, and down came the diff.
This is exactly what mines sound like.

wow that sucks man, a week ago I replaced my diff with a early sc400 diff and installed the trd lsd, when I went to remove my old diff I drained it first and at my surprise I found about 8 pieces of teeth about half inch long and a lot of metal bits, I was going to keep my old diff as a spare but I was so disgusted that I just threw it away. I never felt anything wrong with the diff, it was a stock diff with plus 200k of miles.
I can imagine what mines look like . My diff probablt have about 300K+ miles on it .last carfax report recorded 245K miles and that was a couple years ago .

Thanks for all the input guys, now i know for a fact its blown .Now i just have to get the time and energy to replace the rear end. I will definately do a write up on this.