Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery being stingy

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 05:28 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery being stingy

Sorry I'm not exactly sure where to put this, mods move this were it should be thanks.
Anyways, my car was working perfectly yesterday then for some reason, the car didn't turn on. Not only that but it made a 'click' sound, then died, then didn't work again. Then we jumped it, drove around, then left it over night. Felt like it almost worked, but to my disappointment, didn't. So we jumped it, drove about 15ish miles, then left it for a good 6 or so hours. Turned it on, and it worked. Drove, came back, turned it off, then tried to turn it on again and it didnt work at all no crank not even the seatbelt light is on. I think it might be the battery, note exactly sure, it kind of dark so i cant really check if there is any loose fuses. I'll get back tomorrow when there is light. Hopefully its nothing more than a battery. Any recomended batterys?

Thanks!

Last edited by abounly; 11-30-08 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 05:36 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

uh...battery is dying/dead? get a volt meter and check the volts its putting out...if its under 10.6V? with the engine off then replace it.
Old 11-30-08, 05:39 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Sorry I'm not exactly sure where to put this,
Anyways, my car was working perfectly yesterday then for some reason, the car didn't turn on. Not only that but it made a 'click' sound, then died, then didn't work again. Then we jumped it, drove around, then left it over night. Felt like it almost worked, but to my disappointment, didn't. So we jumped it, drove about 15ish miles, then left it for a good 6 or so hours. Turned it on, and it worked. Drove, came back, turned it off, then tried to turn it on again, regrettably the problem was still there. Any idea what could be wrong?

Your problem is most probably your battery, your alternator ... or both.

If the alternator fails to put out sufficient voltage (because the diodes are going bad) the battery will not fully charge. The alternator output can fall so low that the battery ends up supplying power to the entire car when the car is running ... which ends up killing it. If the battery voltage goes critically low then it will never be able to hold a charge like it once could and should be replaced.

To correct this problem I suggest that you:

1 - Take the car down to a local auto parts store like Autozone and have them check the output of the alternator and condition of the battery.

2 - Replace the battery if the alternator checks out.

3 - If the battery continues to die then replace the alternator.

4 - If the problem is neither with the alternator or the battery then check the operation of the starter and the fuses (check if any are blown or loose).

Good luck ...
Old 11-30-08, 05:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

i think autozone does bench testing of alternators...not on the car.
Old 11-30-08, 06:34 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
i think autozone does bench testing of alternators...not on the car.
I would call ahead before you visit ...

I know (from experience) that Advance Autoparts has a diagnostic "cart" that they will wheel out to your car and test your alternator (while the car is running) and the battery (with the engine off).

let us know how it goes ...
Old 11-30-08, 06:41 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend jumped the car for me then while i was driving everything shut off. No more dashboard no more anything. I looked at the rpm it was not moving at all. Well went to autozone, and the guy tested the battery it said it was good. Then all these thoughts came into my mind. Just got the car awhile ago and having problems? Then i notice that the right terminal bracket was extremely loose. so i try tugging it and it came off! like nothing so got some dinky autozone ones replaced it and it cranked up totally fine. Everything is working perfectly. I think should and go buy different terminals because im using a stock one and a new gold one.

Thanks alot guys for the info! Im glad that i have none of those problems. Lexdude, you are correct they came out with a cart thing to check the battery. Thanks alot guys such quick info!
Old 12-01-08, 02:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Originally Posted by lexdud
I would call ahead before you visit ...

I know (from experience) that Advance Autoparts has a diagnostic "cart" that they will wheel out to your car and test your alternator (while the car is running) and the battery (with the engine off).

let us know how it goes ...
i know they do the battery test but didnt think they were able to test the alt like that...cool though.

good to hear u fixed the problem.
Old 12-01-08, 05:16 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300jz
My friend jumped the car for me then while i was driving everything shut off. No more dashboard no more anything. I looked at the rpm it was not moving at all. Well went to autozone, and the guy tested the battery it said it was good. Then all these thoughts came into my mind. Just got the car awhile ago and having problems? Then i notice that the right terminal bracket was extremely loose. so i try tugging it and it came off! like nothing so got some dinky autozone ones replaced it and it cranked up totally fine. Everything is working perfectly. I think should and go buy different terminals because im using a stock one and a new gold one.

Thanks alot guys for the info! Im glad that i have none of those problems. Lexdude, you are correct they came out with a cart thing to check the battery. Thanks alot guys such quick info!
Had this exact same situation a while back, scared the crap out of me when my car suddenly shut off in the middle of traffic not fun.

Replace the other terminal clamp while your at it and also make sure you clean up the battery posts just in case.
Old 12-01-08, 11:20 PM
Mistahxken
Driver

im going to keep that in mind if it happens to me lol hope not! =x