Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 08:00 PM
tpnotch420
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump question

I have a 92 sc400 and I'm recently having a problem getting it to start. I notice that when I insert the key I can't hear the fuel pump running so I decided to try the fule ecu bypass. After completing that the fuel pump fires right up without having the key inserted and the only way I can shut it off is to disconnect the jumpered wires. Anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-06-08, 03:56 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common problem with these cars. Either the main ECU for the car takes a crap because of a bad design flaw or the fuel ecu takes a crap. If the pump works since you jumped it the fuel computer is defective. That is located behind the drivers side passenger lower panel. You would have to take the seat out to pull the panel off. Replace the ECU and you should solve the problem. It could also be a bad fuel pump relay. If you have a extra or I think you can use one from the engine fuse box. I have 2 questions for you though. When you turn the key to on position engine off does the check engine light come on? If it does use the diagnose terminal on top of the engine. I forgot what terminals they are, but if you jump them the check engine light should flash a number of times telling you there might be a fault with the fuel ecu. You can look on CL to see what the terminals are to jumper. If you look up what the code is there is one that should say fuel computer circuit malfunction. Just saying if you don't want to go threw all of that get a fuel ecu and plug it in and see if it works. That is my advice get it from a place where you can return it so if that isn't the problem you can return it. Hopefully it works out for you.