Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

fuel/air controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 08:45 PM
Tony320
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel/air controls

Alright, so i've been looking into engine management for the setup I am currently piecing together, and I've read that for boost pressures under 9psi, it is a viable option to simply use a boost pressure powered (rising rate) fuel pressure regulator and a TT fuel pump. HAs anyone tried or seen this done? Did it work? Was it free of the idle/stalling problems I've read about pretty much all piggyback systems?
Old 10-03-08, 11:07 AM
TJohnson
Driver

A Walbro or TT Fuel pump and a AFPR would certainly help. However, the pump can only flow as much as the injectors can pump. To accomodate for the extra fuel in the pump, you would need bigger injectors.

When you upgrade the fuel, that's when the piggybacks come into play. Idle and stalling issues aren't because of the piggybacks. They are because of the vented BOV's that most people run and that most are pretty difficult to solve that.

To set it up all correctly for 8-10psi, it would be best to go w/ the pump, injectors, AFPR, and a simple piggyback. This will make the car as effecient as it can be and will leave you room to grow into more power later if and when you decide to do it.
Old 10-03-08, 11:08 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bad idea... rising rate regulators are never the proper way to do fuel. your best route is (depending on your need) some injectors and a fuel controller like a piggy back. with a rising rate regulator you save about 300 bucks but they are risky and if they fail your screwed. You will still need a piggy back with the regulator option to fine tune. Rising rate regulators can have the rubber diaphram break or if your fuel psi is too high it can make injectors stick open or closed... just not a good idea especially in the long run
Old 10-05-08, 05:17 PM
Tony320
Rookie

thanks for the input on the AFPR idea. Specifically what I was going to do was use the AFPR and a fuel pump to control the A/F ratio and grab an inexpensive piggyback to monitor the situation.

I think that I might just use the piggyback to do the adjusting now that I know the BOV causes the idle/stalling problems I've been reading about.

Time to start reading about BOV fixes/alternatives. If anyone has any more info on AFPRs as a tuning mechanism, I'd def. like to read more about them.