SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Changed Fuel Pump still not wanting to crank PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 07:25 PM
whiteysc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Fuel Pump still not wanting to crank PLEASE HELP

So I changed out my fuel pump today and it still will not crank. It is turning over but no start. The other fuel pump was for sure bad, I put it on 12v and nothing happened. I bought the new one today and made sure it was good by putting it on 12v and it worked perfect.. Now whenever I cut on the key the fuel pump seems to run continuously until I take out the EFI fuse and then it cuts off..Put it back in and it does the same thing..Its is gettin fuel up to the fuel rail and when I spray starting fluid in while turning over it will crank for a sec. Is there any clue of whats going on? I desperately need my car for work.. Any advice sure would help.. Also my check engine light stays on as fuel pump continues to run until I take the EFI relay also.. PLEASEEE HELP.
Old 06-24-11, 07:32 PM
Ratatat
Driver

Fuel pressure regulator letting fuel run straight through? Not letting it build up any pressure at all.
Old 06-24-11, 07:50 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

If you're turning it over and the fuel pump stays on then it's getting a full 12V which is wrong, unless you've done the fuel pump computer by-pass or jumped the terminals off under the hood.

If you can spray starter fluid and it catches then obviously your injectors aren't spraying so you need to go backwards to figure out that issue but I would start at the pump being on all the time (fuel pump computer issues usually).
Old 06-24-11, 07:54 PM
whiteysc
Driver School Candidate

I do have the fuel pump ecu bypassed with the jumper..
Old 06-24-11, 07:57 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Have you pulled the number one plug or number six plug to see if it's wet (dry them off, try to turn it over for about 5 seconds, pull plug and look under light to see if you see fuel).
Old 06-24-11, 08:20 PM
whiteysc
Driver School Candidate

no I havent tried this.. It is getting spark though. What would problem be if it isnt getting wet?
Old 06-24-11, 08:29 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Fuel Pressure Regulator could have failed, not allowing fuel to pass to the injectors.

Have you checked the fuses? Are you getting power to the injectors when cranking?
Old 06-24-11, 08:52 PM
whiteysc
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure, how do I check to see if getting power to the injectors? I did however remove the FPR today and there is gas coming out of it.. I also do need to replace Fuel Filter but doubt thats my problem.. Please people I need to get to work monday and do appreciate those of you trying to help.. Why would the fuel pump continuously run while key is out of ignition and Check Engine light on till I either take battery loose or remove EFI relay.. I checked relay it is working properly in other locations..
Old 06-24-11, 09:05 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Fuel Filter is easy to check, if you pull the line CLOSET to the engine on the filter then you'll see a good flow come out, and it should be clearish/yellowish - if you get black - low flow, it's bad.

Power to the injectors needs to come via a test light or volt meter to see if it's applying 12V to the injectors in a pulsing manner.

FPR needs to have fuel coming out BOTH sides.

Wait your fuel pump is coming on with the key REMOVED and out of the key hole? That's definitely wrong even if it is jumped off with the terminals (Fp under the hood)!

Have you pulled the codes yet?
Old 06-24-11, 09:22 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to say it sounds like the ECU. Pull it and check for signs of corrosion or bad capacitors.
Old 06-24-11, 09:27 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

It definitely wouldn't hurt to check the ECU out just be careful.
Old 06-24-11, 10:13 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on the ECU i had a similar issue when water entered the cabin and into the ecu. Car wouldn't start because injectors would not get power.
Old 06-25-11, 02:53 PM
whiteysc
Driver School Candidate

Well some of you guys were right...I luckily had 3 other computers laying around and tried them out and Wa La it works now with no problems other than it wants to die every now and than but cranks right back. THank you all for the help..
Old 08-01-11, 09:52 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default which ECU

I'm having a similar problem....can you tell me which ECU did you change the main or the fuel ecu....? I just had my main ECU rebuilt and things worked fine for a month, now I'm getting the stalling a startup again. It seems to clear for a week, then it's back again. Don't know if my main ECU has problems again, or if now it's my fuel ECU causing the problems.
thanks.
Old 08-01-11, 02:41 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I'm having a similar problem....can you tell me which ECU did you change the main or the fuel ecu....? I just had my main ECU rebuilt and things worked fine for a month, now I'm getting the stalling a startup again. It seems to clear for a week, then it's back again. Don't know if my main ECU has problems again, or if now it's my fuel ECU causing the problems.
thanks.
u can check ur fp ecu by jumping the holes to bypass the fp ecu, search for 12v fuel mod and if it is in fact ur fp ecu then this should fix it