Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anybody with a 4" dual exhaust setup???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 08:38 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, mboostin7 knows exactly what he's doing and he doesn't need any of your input on what he's doing wrong.

He was simply asking who has done it and what were the specifics of their setup and to include pictures.

Stop trying to be smart and please pay more attention to the questions at hand.
Old 09-14-08, 08:47 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Agreed. 5speed your talking over your head here man. you're messing with a group that knows their stuff, trust me. Its just the setup he wants to go with. Tres probably didnt need it either it was just his choice.
Old 09-14-08, 08:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
HOLD ON!!!!...before this thread makes me a bit dumber with all the "suggestions"

none of you know what this guy did to his car. he said he did a 2jzgte swap. he didnt mention any upgrades at all. why would you people suggest a 4" downpipe and midpipe on a presumably stock motor.

do the math on the flow before making absurd suggestions...and dont give me the "ive been doing this for x-number of years, have x-amount of hp, and boosted x-number of cars"

bigger exhaust is not always better. on the dyno when you look at the top end it might be. with a bigger exhaust you may actually lose some mid-range torque.

agreed 100%, kinda hard to suggest without knowing what exactly he is running.
Old 09-14-08, 08:49 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I speak from experience... the exhaust design does make a difference.

I couldn't break the 700 mark on a 3" to dual 2.25" exhaust and put down almost exactly the same number in spite of going from a T71/264 combination to a T74/272 setup. Once I went to 4" to dual 3", the car blasted through the 700s and laid down a pull of 841whp. After playing with many different combinations, this is what I settled on: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=19.

The hard part was finding a double offset 3" straight through muffler, and the only product that looks OEM, flows enough for just about any size turbo, and actually functions as a muffler is the Vibrant Performance 1127: http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...dfe05546e36a53 Keep in mind, a double offset muffler not only maintains an OEM look, but it also helps fitment of the 3" piping that needs to clear the rear sway bars as designed by Toyota. An on-center muffler is almost impossible to mount square; it will most likely have some outward angle to it. I'm not being critical of SC owners with on-center mufflers; everyone has their preference. But mine is to keep the lines and style of the car as stock as possible. So in other words, to each his own.

If your plans are to go big, then get the exhaust done right the first time. If you want more low end torque, then stick with a smaller turbo, but still consider a high flowing exhaust.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-14-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 08:53 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
I couldn't break the 700 mark on a 3" to dual 2.25" exhaust and put down almost exactly the same number in spite of going from a T71/264 combination to a T74/272 setup. Once I went to 4" to dual 3", the car blasted through the 700s and laid down a pull at 841whp. After playing with many different combinations, this is what I settled on: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=19.

Holy cow over a 140 hp after an exhaust setup? Dude tell me where I can find that special metal.
Old 09-14-08, 09:06 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Holy cow over a 140 hp after an exhaust setup? Dude tell me where I can find that special metal.
There's nothing special about it... Small exhaust => back pressure => small pressure differential across the turbine; that equates to limited spool. Big exhaust => little back pressure => big pressure differential across the turbine, and that equates to efficient spool and more hp. Shoot, just opening up the exhaust increased the base boost off the wastegate spring from 16psi to 20psi on my car. That's a huge difference keeping everything else equal. The same gains were seen on the top end. With small exhaust, the car wouldn't boost past 28psi. Now, the car will easily build boost into the mid 30s.

I've run an SP63, T71, and T74 and have tuned them all; so, I have experience with both small and large turbos.

Trust me... the exhaust matters.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-14-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 09:19 PM
mboostin7
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
Trust me, mboostin7 knows exactly what he's doing and he doesn't need any of your input on what he's doing wrong.

He was simply asking who has done it and what were the specifics of their setup and to include pictures.

Stop trying to be smart and please pay more attention to the questions at hand.
Thank you sir lol.
Im not gonna go into specifics on what exactly is gonna be in the car right now. Its not stock, and a 4" is a little overkill for what I have at the moment but its gonna have a lot more in the near future, so I am having the exhaust made how I want it the first time, even if its not needed at the moment.

I may end up doing the straight pipe like you have Tres, but I was thinking about having some mufflers to tone it down a little, but am having a hard time finding something that will look good on the sc. If I do remember correctly your car did sound damn good when you came down here for the meet tho
Old 09-14-08, 09:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

damn guys..... sounds like there's alot of SC boostin going on in OK.. nic eway to represent.
Old 09-14-08, 09:40 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

I had mufflers to put on my car but they just didnt look right. My green one had decent mufflers on it.

3" dp to dual 2.5" Greddy PE's.

Old 09-14-08, 09:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if youre not gonna say what you are doing with the car and whats in it then how can you ask for advice. if this is a simple question of who has done it then sorry for the reply. you got what you needed. if you want an answer from an actual engineering perspective and not just "throw the biggest of everything and see what happens" then you should elaborate on the original post.
Old 09-14-08, 09:45 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
damn guys..... sounds like there's alot of SC boostin going on in OK.. nic eway to represent.
Damn right there is. The problem is people are trying to tell us what to do instead of just answering his damn question like we don't know whats what. If mboostin didnt need 4" now or in the future, he wouldnt ask about it, some people just arent understanding I guess. Noone ever asked if it did or did not matter, we know it does. They can't read I guess.
Old 09-14-08, 09:48 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

if youre not gonna say what you are doing with the car and whats in it then how can you ask for advice. if this is a simple question of who has done it then sorry for the reply. you got what you needed. if you want an answer from an actual engineering perspective and not just "throw the biggest of everything and see what happens" then you should elaborate on the original post.
Dude, let it go, you really are really barking up the wrong tree here. He knows wtf he needs and wants. He has had the high hp supra and other cars, you need to just chill and stop trying to back your way out now. He never asked about why, he wanted to know the looks, period.
Old 09-14-08, 09:53 PM
mboostin7
Rookie

Im not asking for advice. Im basically trying to find a nice looking 4" muffler for the car and would like some pics of others cars to get an idea of what each muffler looks like on the car. Its a pretty simple thing, or so I thought.
Old 09-14-08, 10:09 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Yo mboostin, welcome to CL, top of the charts for gayness as far as performance goes.
Old 09-14-08, 10:27 PM
mboostin7
Rookie

So I see. I was hoping it would be worth a shot. Ive still got a little time to do some searching for stuff, and if I dont find anything that I think will look good then I'll just do something like Tres's car. I dont mind my cars being loud.

Quick Reply: Anybody with a 4" dual exhaust setup???