Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 03:38 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about V8

I have a question about engine swaps. I know that when it comes to our cars the 1jz/2jz swap is the standard. However, I did a quick search for v8 swaps and found nothing. I know that Lextreme (i think) sells a V8 upgrade package for the sc. what i want to know is if any member here has done a V8 upgrade/swap. only asking b/c I'm thinking of doing something like a complete 5.7 swap. However i have to research the matter to see if it would be feasible, and financially possible.
Old 09-01-08, 03:52 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Not sure how you missed it.... Lextreme does have a swapped 4.7 Tundra block in his SC. Do some searching on Lextreme and you'll find lots and lots info about this.
Old 09-01-08, 04:37 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
Not sure how you missed it.... Lextreme does have a swapped 4.7 Tundra block in his SC. Do some searching on Lextreme and you'll find lots and lots info about this.
yes, i know about the 4.7 bottom from lextreme, what i meant was something more along the lines of a complete v8 swap engine and ecu from a Tundra or some other Toyota V8 with VVTI.
Old 09-02-08, 05:40 AM
spooledx2
Driver

As far as I know no one has done one yet. I do however, believe someone is working on one but it's a hush hush deal. I am sure in the next few months you will see someone attempt it.
Old 09-02-08, 09:57 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 09-02-08, 10:00 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

I do believe that someone is currently in the works of fitting the 5.7L in an SC. I also know of a few 2uz's and 3uz's
Old 09-02-08, 11:03 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not supercharge your 4.0? I could hook you up
Old 09-02-08, 11:13 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Can someone say stroker?
Old 09-02-08, 11:18 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Punky
Can someone say stroker?
David at Lextreme already offers a stroker kit for both the 4.0 and 4.7 I think.
Old 09-02-08, 11:59 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Why not supercharge your 4.0? I could hook you up
Thanks, i might have to take you up on that offer. I was only looking because a friend total his tundra and could get the a possible swap for a few bucks... but like i said i would not want to jump into uncharted waters.
Old 09-02-08, 12:28 PM
c0wboy
Banned

It sounds like you may want a cost effective 5.7L swap, but unfortunately that just can't be the case. That goes for the 5.7L and 4.7L. Rising above all that, the 5.7L runs into certain physical problems with fitting into the engine bay. Apparently there's less than 1/2" room between the valve covers and the shock towers. A 4.7L swap gets into some money as well. It all depends on where your budget is and how you want to approach your build. Trust me, I know a thing or two about the Toyota V8 swaps.

Eric
Old 09-02-08, 04:53 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Things like exhaust, lsd, intake, and high stall tcs can help a bit, but if you're real serious about getting sub-6 second 0-60 and under 14 sec 1/4 mile, there's only 3 real options to make big power from the toyota/Lexus V8's:

1) NOS - about the cheapest and easiest way to make big power. the only problem is that it wont last for more than a drag race or two, and you cant just go to any gas station to get them filled. also if an amateur installs it wrong, you can really f*** up your engine

2) Engine swap - This is a double-edged sword. In theory, just about any engine you can think of can be put into any car, so long as it can physically fit. That means the limit is really up to your imagination. Dont forget Kobe Bryant was able to get his wife's murcielago converted to automatic. The problem is that all this is in theory. The more unusual the engine swap, the exponentially more difficult, time consuming, and potentially economically unviable it becomes. The closest and most viable swap you can do is the 2UZ's 4.7L V8. The problem is that in stock form, while that low end torque will make it feel faster, it wont actually be much faster than the 1UZ. The advantage is that the 4.7L has a rock-solid iron block which can take massive forced induction like the JZ engines. As for the new 3UR's 5.7L engine, I was thinking about going down that path. It's definately a beast but the problem is that since its a new engine family, there's gotta be much more work involved. For 381 HP, you'd be better off going FI.

3) Supercharging - This is the route most people take for the V8, and about the only practical method for big power at a reasonable cost. A low boost S/C will make the same power as the 3UR for a fraction of the labor, plus you dont have to worry about the hassle of NOS. Most people opt for S/Cs rather than turbo cause much more work is involved re-routing the exhaust on a turbo, and no turbo kits thus far are available for the 1UZ. If ever I can get the money for it, I'll be going down this path.