Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So i changed my worn out timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 11:55 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Default So i changed my worn out timing belt

I was changing my plugs the other day and noticed signs of wear on my timing belt, it looked very dry and had cracks in it. I knew my car< 98 sc300> is due for a TB change anyways, since it has 91000 miles. I gathered all the parts necessary over the course of 3 weeks, in addition to OBX pulley kit and Stanza electric fans. My day didn't go as planned. From the get go i broke a socket using the starter method to loosen the crank bolt, so i had to walk a mile and half to the nearest Napa. got that taken care off only to find out that my Tensioner is missing and they give the wrong thermostat Ended up using the old tensioner and my brother picked up a thermostat for me.. Tied up the fans with zip ties till i find enough time to make them look stock.. And what a difference Instant response, quick revving and power i could feel, plus my MPG is better when i'm not flooring it of course. However, the very first thing i noticed was the different tone the engine played: It had a roar, not a V8 roar but a VTEC roar. I think it's the VVT-I because i hear it after 3500 RPM!!!! I was wondering if anybody else heard that before I'm not worried because the engine runs perfect and nothing is out of the ordinary, except for the roar of course..
Old 08-06-08, 06:12 AM
Damned04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
I was changing my plugs the other day and noticed signs of wear on my timing belt, it looked very dry and had cracks in it. I knew my car< 98 sc300> is due for a TB change anyways, since it has 91000 miles. I gathered all the parts necessary over the course of 3 weeks, in addition to OBX pulley kit and Stanza electric fans. My day didn't go as planned. From the get go i broke a socket using the starter method to loosen the crank bolt, so i had to walk a mile and half to the nearest Napa. got that taken care off only to find out that my Tensioner is missing and they give the wrong thermostat Ended up using the old tensioner and my brother picked up a thermostat for me.. Tied up the fans with zip ties till i find enough time to make them look stock.. And what a difference Instant response, quick revving and power i could feel, plus my MPG is better when i'm not flooring it of course. However, the very first thing i noticed was the different tone the engine played: It had a roar, not a V8 roar but a VTEC roar. I think it's the VVT-I because i hear it after 3500 RPM!!!! I was wondering if anybody else heard that before I'm not worried because the engine runs perfect and nothing is out of the ordinary, except for the roar of course..
How much did it all cost you, Im due for a tb change but since I work at a toyota dealer now, I get super cheap employee labor and parts rates.
Old 08-06-08, 06:55 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
Good going bro Those VVTi timing belts are a ***** to change. An honestly if you were loosing power and MPG I would say something was about to break, because your timing must have been messed up. One question though, (I could be wrong since I have a v8 that I just changed TB on) Did you change your water pump while you were doing the timing belt? Because my car just got a wobbly water pump pulley and threw timing. So I hope you did that
Old 08-06-08, 09:18 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Timing belt was around 60-70 bucks, idler was around 50, thermostat around 20, water pump was around 40, pullies were around 180 and the fan was 30 bucks. I got a new tensioner ,which i couldn't find , for 70 bucks i think. Also i got a fan control module for 30 bucks from pep boys.. So 500 bucks in parts..

Punky, let me tell ya, that VVT-i is a scary engine to work on since the post 97's are interference engines. What made it worse is the Toyota TB didn't come with markings and i had to put marks from the old belt.. So, after the i put on the belt i had to rotate the crank little by little with my ear next to the cams LOL Marks lined up exactly after few revolutions < just to make sure> And yes i changed my water pump, that thing was squeaking like it's going to blow up.