Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 refuses to engage into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 12:27 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R154 refuses to engage into first gear

So I finished the swap with my “rebuilt” r154 and it will not engage into first gear, but I can take off in second and shift through the others and into reverse. I do not have much knowledge in transmission functionality as far as the internals go. Any links that explain and show the internals would be greatly appreciated, or how to rebuild yourself faqs etc)

Is it safe to assume that my install must be good if all the other gears work (pedal shouldn’t need to be adjusted or anything)?

If it is the tranny what part? Cost of the part?

Any orange county shops recommended, (I do not trust myself inside my tranny yet, not until after I attempt rebuild of my blown w58)?

Can we get a shops definition of rebuild? I am trying to determine if the guys who sold me this may have genuinely rebuilt it, but terminology wise the part that is broken isn’t part of a “standard rebuild” or if this part is broke then chances are nothing was rebuilt….

Also I know I went from the w58 and this is supposed to be harsher, but what else can I do to make it feel more smooth, any other suggested parts to replace while I’m at it?

Thanks
Old 07-14-08, 12:51 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

the only shop that i've heard excellent things on rebuilds on r154 is marlin crawler in fresno. try them and let me know. =)
Old 07-14-08, 02:04 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

I called 3 AAMCO shops and the results were

Nobody gives me any info on what it might be... just keep pushing me to come in saying it can be anything and i need to bring it in with the car to diagnose it.

Shop 1: quoted me 200 to remove and reinstall tranny, plus 800 to take apart and put tranny together... plus parts and additional BS!
Shop 2: 200 for remove and reinstall, plus 400 to take apart tranny, plus parts etc...
Shop 3. refused to quote me anything but said they are not going to be cheaper than shop 2 for sure.....

New question, you can buy a new tranny from somewhere or something? how much is that, ive read 2k? ...i paid 900 for this tranny, if its another 1k to fix this im going kick myself in the a** and then hunt down the seller
Old 07-14-08, 09:17 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1st gear thrust washer... its a known common weak point that shatters. theory has it its cause of either under or over oiling with shock. Itll cause first gear lock-out. Part is probably 10 bucks but you still have to take out the trans and install it then double check all clearances.
Old 07-15-08, 09:24 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Thanks VIP, i was in that direction from a thread in the supra forums, someone posted the same description of the problem and thats what it was. But a lot of directions are pointing at my install possibly, which i questioned myself at first also.

This is a key question i would like answered by a tranny or guru guy, if it engages in the other gears does that mean the work i did is good and the internals are bad? or is that not concrete enough to just go off of.

And is this statement true, its from a guy that builds 900hp fords. Picturing the internals this seems like it would be the opposite since 2nd would be spinning faster?

"The other obvious thing to check is your clutch. It needs to fully release the disk to easily go into 1st gear. Clutches that don't fully disengage will have a much easier time going into 2nd gear than 1st gear, as a general rule."

Is that a general rule, i think this guy knows his stuff, but i cant understand since 1st would be spinning slower it seems otherwise?
Old 07-15-08, 09:49 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc1jzgte
"The other obvious thing to check is your clutch. It needs to fully release the disk to easily go into 1st gear. Clutches that don't fully disengage will have a much easier time going into 2nd gear than 1st gear, as a general rule."

Is that a general rule, i think this guy knows his stuff, but i cant understand since 1st would be spinning slower it seems otherwise?
I assumed the same thing before. When my clutch was starting to go, I had to sometimes roll the car forward in 2nd gear or reverse it a few feet for it to allow me to put it in 1st gear. Sometimes I would just go in 2nd if I couldn't get it in 1st gear. The solution was replacing the clutch.
Old 07-15-08, 02:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your clutch is not disengaging, bleed out the line and take some slack out of the pedal. It is worth trying in the event that your clutch system is the issue and not the transmission itself.
Old 07-16-08, 02:14 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

I tried the test last night. with the engine off, i put it in first, held the clutch down and started it (with no spinning in the tranny it should line right up if its a clutch problem right?!) Well it didnt, same problem, grinded a sec and popped it out....

I will try a reinstall of the tranny completely this weekend, and see what happens as a last resort to save a grand of labor (anybody know a cheap shop to replace a thrust gear washer in SOCAL?)