Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Leak...maybe water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 11:44 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Leak...maybe water pump?

Ok here is the problem. i have replaced the radiator, all the major hoses and what not. Well after all this i am still leaking coolant. It happens so much that i just bought like a million gallons of distilled water to fill up with. Well the car doesn't overheat but if left idling for long periods of time it leaks and i get a lil steam build up i can hear (once the car shut itself off till it was cooler, thats how i found out). When underload the car seems fine and even around the town but when i shut it off the coolant/DI water just leaks out the bottom of the engine. It seems to be right around the crank pulley. I am unfamiliar with the engine still but to mechanics i am not. I can not see the pump but if i squeeze the top radiator hose i can feel the water flowing to the radiator. So it seems the pump is working but why is the damn thing leaking. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-16-08, 11:46 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the water pump weep hole is leaking fluid. the weep hole is there to release coolant if the bearings are/have been compromised. replace the water pump.
Old 04-16-08, 06:47 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Like LexusFTW said, it sounds like waterpump. the bottom of the timing chain cover has a small drain hole just under the crank pulley. If it is coming from there and you are not leaking from above, your water pump is most likely leaking through the weephole or gasket (gasket is less likely).

I would double check that it is definitely not coming from the new hose/thermostat connections and somehow leaking inside the timing belt area since it had been recently repaired.

Do a search on timing belt change, normally the water pump is changed while doing the timing belt and all it's goodies. Good luck!
Old 04-16-08, 09:34 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Sounds good thanks guys. Ill take off the bottom diffuser/skid plate thing before i go to work that way when i come home i can roll it up the ramp, shut it off then check!! I found a deal on ebay for like 170 for the pump, timing belt and the lil idler pulley's. Sound like a good deal or do you recomend oem?
Old 04-17-08, 06:47 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oem .
Old 04-17-08, 08:26 AM
Steelwheel
Driver

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Sounds good thanks guys. Ill take off the bottom diffuser/skid plate thing before i go to work that way when i come home i can roll it up the ramp, shut it off then check!! I found a deal on ebay for like 170 for the pump, timing belt and the lil idler pulley's. Sound like a good deal or do you recomend oem?
Not sure about the ebay stuff, unless you know the manufacturer's of the stuff, i'd go OEM only.

I went with Park Place Lexus for water pump, cam seals, and new coolant hose gaskets (flushed coolant system, replaced hoses and gaskets since they were old and had to pull radiator anyway). $105 for water pump and about $20 for the gaskets.

Bought (Gates only) parts from RockAuto for the two belt pulleys and tensioner and new timing belt and radiator hoses.

Here is an idea of the things bought from RockAuto last year so prices may be different. These are for the SC400 / 1uz motor.

FEL-PROTCS45916 Crankshaft Oil Seal $ 13.08
GATES 22022 Coolant Hose $ 9.11
GATES T190 Timing Belt $ 43.79
GATES 22020 Coolant Hose $ 9.88
GATES T43097 Timing Belt Tensioner $ 30.99
GATES T42031 Timing Idler $ 30.79
GATES T41078 Timing Belt Pulley $ 38.79

The Gates pulley's were actually made by OEM's and the timing belt and hoses were perfect.

Also used Permatex Ultra Grey for RTV gasket because it had the same spec's as the OEM Toyota Form In Place Gasket. You want to make sure you use the good stuff and apply it correctly according to the FSM.