Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Location of EGR probe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-08, 01:24 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of EGR probe??

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of cleaning up my EGR system (code 71) and I was doing some searching and seen something about an EGR temp probe.

Where is this located? I read that if it gets too much carbon buildup on it, it acts like insulation.

Id like to find the location of this, so I can get it cleaned up.

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 03-02-08, 06:07 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Is there an EGR temp sensor on a 92 SC400? I dont think there is and if there is, I cant find it, even though I was told where it is supposed to be.
Old 01-03-09, 07:35 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Can somebody with a 92 SC400 PLEASE look and see if your EGR has this temp. sensor/probe!!! Its supposed to be on the EGR valve itself, towards the bottom of it.

I'm getting a code 71 (EGR Malfunction) with the "TRAC OFF" light on. I'm trying to get rid of this hesitation/studerring while under load. The car runs and idles great. Its just when I go to take off hard or accelerate, the car does a little hesitation dance.

I'd like to delete my EGR system but I can find the plug to put the resistor in. All I can find on that side of the motor, where the EGR system is, are the Fuel Pressure VSV and the EGR VSV.....or is it the EGR VSV towards the back of the motor that I need the resistors for? When I turn the ignition off, I get an erratic click from this solenoid.

Things Ive checked:

TPS - Ive tried 3 different TPS sensors and every single one, when on the car, acts as a 2 step when I try to set it, I either get a high idle at about 1k or a low idle around 500-600 and I still get the above symptoms. When I test them with an ohm meter, the resistance on all 3 are perfect.

I spent an hour checking and rechecking all the vacuum hoses. They're all under 6 months old and all checked out fine.

I really hope somebody can shine some light on this matter, its been screwing with me all week.