1992 SC400 EGR Error Code 71 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC400 EGR Error Code 71

Old 11-08-18, 09:01 PM
opisdfagjo
Driver School Candidate

Default 1992 SC400 EGR Error Code 71

Of course the day before I plan to smog my car CEL comes on and it's code 71. I'm not a mechanic and I'm kicking myself for this but I don't understand how to clean the EGR valve. Everything I find looks like the EGR setup in the LS400 which looks nothing like mine. From what I've read they say to take it off and clean it, so I tried taking the EGR valve (near where you put oil) off and cleaning it. I see 3 bolts and 3 screws. I take them all off and pull on the black piece and it comes off but then I hear something metal fall into the gap underneath it. I tried looking in there but can't see anything in there. I don't even know what it was, I'm guessing some kind of ring or something. Will my car run ok without that piece? Do I have to buy another EGR valve?

I did find a guide after that happened and one of the steps says I have to drain my engine coolant? Would I have to do that?

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: