Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Differential question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-08, 03:28 PM
LCSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential question

I have a 5spd 4.08 diff non-LSD. I also have an aristo LSD with 3.77 gears. Can I simply take the LSD from the one and put it in the other, keeping the 4.08 gears. Or put the 4.08 gears into the aristo Diff. I think the 3.77 gears are a bit steep for me since I'm not na-t yet. Also How difficult is this to do. If there are any DIY post please link I searched but found nothing. Thanks
Old 02-17-08, 06:48 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LCSC
I have a 5spd 4.08 diff non-LSD. I also have an aristo LSD with 3.77 gears. Can I simply take the LSD from the one and put it in the other, keeping the 4.08 gears. Or put the 4.08 gears into the aristo Diff. I think the 3.77 gears are a bit steep for me since I'm not na-t yet. Also How difficult is this to do. If there are any DIY post please link I searched but found nothing. Thanks
Check the thread in my sig for the know how on how to perform the LSD swap. It is by no means a "cake walk" procedure, and you have to make sure everything is aligned properly (down to .005") or else you risk premature differential failure. It is not a procedure to take lightly.

That being said, I would swap the entire rear end onto your car. Yes, you will need a device to recalibrate your speedo, but you will be ensured that the LSD is installed correctly (as it once was by the mechanics at the Toyota factory...can't go wrong there).

The 3.77 gearing will be MUCH better for you once you are turbocharged to effectively widen the power band by getting the turbo spooling sooner with more engine load. There is no sense swapping LSD internals both now and later.

In the meantime, you will have 8% less torque going to the road: big deal. How often do you need that 8% additional torque anyways? Its not like you are running down Vettes with your stock 3L. As a positive side effect, you will get better fuel economy, especially on the highway as your revs will be 8% lower than their are while cruising currently.

Moral of the story: don't overthink the decision...

Swap the whole differential pumpkin and buy a speedo recalibrater. You will notice the 8% torque loss, but it will not be significant enough for you to feel dissatisfied with your car. The LSD will make the car feel significantly more grounded and more fun to drive. The fuel economy increase will put money in your pocket for your na-t build.
Old 02-17-08, 09:55 PM
LCSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I think I will just wait because your right I did want to go back to the 3.77 once I go NA-T so I could stay in the power longer.

Thanks