Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reliabilty questions, concerns and timing job assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 09:29 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reliabilty questions, concerns and timing job assistance

Back in October I cracked my fan blade. I ended up getting a new one though. Since the fall, I battled squeaks and chatter from the pulley system. The serpentine belt appeared to wobble as if a bearing was bent or something--along with noise.

Just the other day, I took off the serpentine belt to try and see if there was any play in the pulleys, sound, or chatter. NOTHING. No sound at all! However, the serpentine belt was shredded in a section and the underside in the low part of the ribs of the belt were cracked through the length of the entire belt.

I immediately replaced it with a Goodyear GatorBack belt and the sounds COMPLETELY went away. I can't really tell if there's still a sound or wobble, but if so, it isn't as bad as before. The Duralast belt was the cheapest available and I think it was just so cheap that it didn't last long. Could the belt have been the only problem in causing the noise? Could the cracks and shred have caused the wobble from possible sliding around? Or is my water pump shaft bent or bearing out of whack? The car idles at a nice, quiet 850RPM since I adjusted two of the throttle cables. Acceleration is still smooth (always was). Nothing seems to be the problem.

I have run the car with the top timing cover off and I can't notice any cracks, even with the car off. I also have no idea when the water pump and timing belt were last replaced

So, with that said, should I replace my water pump and timing belt? I can't really afford the OEM stuff right now though. One of my friends got a water pump and timing belt from NAPA, and the water pump was a Toyota housing, as it was stamped with the "TOYOTA" logo on the cast. There are also timing kits on Ebay for less than $100, which is more in my budget, but I know several of you will fire back the always buy OEM comment. Yes its clearly obvious to me that Toyota equipment is the finest quality in the world and replacing with OEM means longevity into the future.

Have any of you had success from chain auto part stores with your timing job components? Also, I like getting parts from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com which is through Bob Ridge Toyota in Renton, WA. Can I use the parts from a 1993 Supra non-turbo for this? (they are considerably cheaper than any of the Lexus parts that I have encountered)

I just don't know what to do right now. I am taking a trip to Tennesee in late April and don't want to get stranded down there. I have faith in my car, as its very reliable and has absolutely no trouble in commuting to work, but as I am off for the summer, my income will consist of doing my small and on the side vehicle detailing business and flipping cars (which I have done for about eight years now). So, in the summer I will have more cash to play with. I still average 25MPG or better sometimes depending on driving conditions. I do tend to hypermile and have become relatively good at it. Yet, as I'll be driving through the Smokey Mountains, I'd like to do some slight spirited driving for some fun.

My main concern is the reliability of that water pump if I go on that trip. Like I said, I don't want to become stranded.

If you have any constructive input on this, just post here.
Old 02-12-08, 09:34 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have pm.