Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

my 1992 5spd sc300 has lsd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 10:41 AM
Boost_lee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do a burnout and have both tire marks equally paved to the ground. But i know mine is Open Diff. It seems like many of you guys on here really havent hit corners in your SC's before. Go drive a supra with LSD and come back and drive an OPEN diff in a SC, there are HUGE differences. (I own 2 89 supra turbos, which have factory LSD)
Old 02-06-08, 10:57 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
ok. I wont waste my time.
Pwned.....
Old 02-06-08, 11:05 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
You get 2 wheels spinning when its equal weight on each, but a little difference on one side and then the wheels starts spinning a furious 1 wheel peel.

Ive never seen SC having LSD tho?
i have.. well not seen one but there are SC with LSD..

the sc's wit the Supra lsd
Old 02-06-08, 11:11 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
i have.. well not seen one but there are SC with LSD..

the sc's wit the Supra lsd
Like mine haha
Old 02-07-08, 10:57 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

No sc ever came with a lsd in the usa it was never a option they all have open differentials .All my sc always did 2wheel burnouts .If our cars had a lsd cornering would of been 10 times better
Old 02-07-08, 11:02 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
actually when you jack up the car and spin one wheel the other wheel should go in the same direction. that should tell you that you have lsd. if it spins in the oppposite direction it's open diff. i did this test when i changed out my diff and both diff had wheels spinning in the opposite direction. only way to tell if i did all that work for nothing was i did a donut on the street and i was able to do a stand still donut.
Actually thats not always true. It depends on what type it is. IIRC VLSD units don't work that way. And I know Helicals don't

My Nissan would spin the wheel in the opposite direction. But I KNOW it had VLSD because I yanked the unit from a J30 and installed it myself

How in hell does an LSD improve handling? I think thats a myth. It improves grip in corners when accelerating, but thats not "improved handling" to be honest. The same thing could be done by putting bigger tires on the back. In corners, stock LSDs are supposed to behave like open diffs and NOT lock up. If you lock up in a corner, it will push your car and in severe cases cause oversteer. Drive a welded diff to see what I'm talking about.

SCs with new bushings, quality suspension, and the right sized tires handle VERY well. Bozos running stretched tires over a 10" wheel or something VIP/Drifter like that can't blame handling issues on not having LSD.

EDIT: I removed "you bozos" and replaced with "bozos" since I wasnt directly targeting anyone in this thread. If you got stretched tires (like a 225 on a 9" wheel). Don't complain about handling on this car. Its big and heavy and requires more tire in the back than your best friend's 240sx

Last edited by Bean; 02-08-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 11:09 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Actually thats not always true. It depends on what type it is. IIRC VLSD units don't work that way. And I know Helicals don't

My Nissan would spin the wheel in the opposite direction. But I KNOW it had VLSD because I yanked the unit from a J30 and installed it myself

How in hell does an LSD improve handling? I think thats a myth. It improves grip in corners when accelerating, but thats not "improved handling" to be honest. The same thing could be done by putting bigger tires on the back. In corners, stock LSDs are supposed to behave like open diffs and NOT lock up. If you lock up in a corner, it will push your car and in severe cases cause oversteer. Drive a welded diff to see what I'm talking about.

SCs with new bushings, quality suspension, and the right sized tires handle VERY well. You bozos running stretched tires over a 10" wheel or something VIP/Drifter like that can't blame handling issues on not having LSD.
+1 /thread.....
Old 02-07-08, 12:12 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
SCs with new bushings, quality suspension, and the right sized tires handle VERY well. You bozos running stretched tires over a 10" wheel or something VIP/Drifter like that can't blame handling issues on not having LSD.
Who here running stretched tires has complained of handling? Or which bozos I should ask

I'm running stretched tires (275 on a 10.5") and I have no complaints about handling. Outside of a few roll runs on straightaways that's as much "action" as I get. I have proper fitting wheels/tires if I need to go to the quarter mile track or any other track with twisties etc. Please don't generalize everyone here that runs stretched tires. Not everyone running stretched obviously cares about handling especially the VIP crowd, they stretch to get a certain look and/or to make the wheel tuck when they bag the car.
Old 02-07-08, 09:29 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey im new to this thread but i recently picked up an sc3. i own 2 88 supra turbos, and an 80 supra (7mgte swap) and other various cars. i know the jack one wheel thing etc....

my sc3 drops both tires, and drifts like a stuft pig (all sorts of body roll).
when i spin one wheel the other doesn't move. i believe it is a torsen...
i found this info on torsens

"The Torsen won't always turn both wheels when you turn the driveshaft, sometime if they are cold they will. One way is to take out the fill plug to see the Torsen gears which is hard to do because of the angle. Another way is to attempt to turn both half shafts in the same direction at the same time (tranny in neutral), can't be done with a Torsen. The foolproof way is to pull the stub axle on the type 1 or the drive axle on the type two. If you don't see a bar and can see directly thru the diff. it is a Torsen. If there is a bar, (spider gears) it's an open"

also this in the latest project car mag they explain it too. i'd post what it said if someione hadn't jacked me...

check this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
"Geared Torque-Sensitive Differential
Geared, torque-sensitive mechanical limited slip differentials utilize worm gears to "sense" torque on one shaft. The most famous versions are:

Torsen differential invented by Vernon Gleasman in 1958, then sold to Gleason Corporation, who started marketing it in 1982;
Quaife differential, sold under the name Automatic Torque Biasing Differential (ATB), covered by European Patent No. 130806A2.
Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g. one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

Geared LSDs are dependent on the torque and not on the speed difference between the output shafts. Such differentials may be acceptable on dry pavement, but are not adequate on slippery surface[3].

Geared LSDs may be used:

to reduce torque steer in front-wheel drive vehicles;
as a center differential in four-wheel drive (e.g. on Audi Quattro);
in rear-wheel drive vehicles, to maximize traction and make oversteer easier to manage (as in Drifting). Although, for professional drifting, a geared LSD is less effective compared to a clutch type LSD. "

although this posting explains nothing about SC's coming factory with LSD's it tells how to tell a torsen.
Old 02-08-08, 02:25 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
Who here running stretched tires has complained of handling? Or which bozos I should ask

I'm running stretched tires (275 on a 10.5") and I have no complaints about handling. Outside of a few roll runs on straightaways that's as much "action" as I get. I have proper fitting wheels/tires if I need to go to the quarter mile track or any other track with twisties etc. Please don't generalize everyone here that runs stretched tires. Not everyone running stretched obviously cares about handling especially the VIP crowd, they stretch to get a certain look and/or to make the wheel tuck when they bag the car.
275 on a 10.5 isn't my definition of a stretched tire; in fact you're the first person to ever say anything like that.

245 on a 10.5" rim IS a stretch. And I've seen an increasing amount of people doing it on this forum. THATS what I was talking about. Those types are very commonly ones that say you have to have LSD to handle. And not just this forum mind you, drift-idiots are all over the various 240sx forums I used to frequent because of my car. I hear on and on about how LSD improves handling and it makes no physical sense and no one has yet to prove me wrong.
Old 02-08-08, 06:46 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

the LSD does improve handling and even more on a detroit locker
Old 02-09-08, 11:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed6
the LSD does improve handling and even more on a detroit locker
Then prove it by explaining why. You DO realize that when turning, the rear wheels spin at different speeds? Regular LSDs do not lock up in a turn, if they did, it would cause oversteer and DECREASE handling.

The only place a factory LSD works anywhere near the handling department is when accelerating out of a turn; and that can be fixed with bigger/better tires. And my point on the tires thing was that most people that I've met saying LSD is better are generally running VERY tiny tires; like 225s or 235s on the rear.
Old 08-03-09, 10:38 AM
J-STAR
Rookie

I have a welded...so handling is a a no go for me.
Old 10-23-12, 11:20 PM
Integra2SC
Driver School Candidate

So I still don't understand, if I have an open Diff, how can others and I do two-wheel burnouts? Sure never believe what you hear but as far as i've known if you have an open diff, you can't get both tires to spin during a burnout...
Old 10-24-12, 02:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Integra2SC
So I still don't understand, if I have an open Diff, how can others and I do two-wheel burnouts? Sure never believe what you hear but as far as i've known if you have an open diff, you can't get both tires to spin during a burnout...
Yes, you can. In optimum conditions where both wheels have more or less equal traction your open differential can allow both wheels to put power down. Once you start turning, however, this changes everything and most of the power will go to the wheel with the least traction. Same thing if you have enough power to break your tires loose: one tire is going to get more power than the other-- the one that first breaks traction-- the infamous "peg-leg burnout".

An LSD overcomes this by severely limiting the tendency for one wheel to be sent 100% of the driveline's power. Sometimes an open diff will send roughly almost equal power to both wheels but there is no system built into it to keep it this way if traction or road contact with one wheel is broken.

A Torsen LSD like those found in the Soarer 2.5GT, most Supra Turbos, the FR-S, most Miatas, etc. loses its effectiveness once one wheel leaves the ground entirely, however. When that happens it acts just like an open diff until both wheels are touching the ground again.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-24-12 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: my 1992 5spd sc300 has lsd?