Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 03:34 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat delete?

Hey guys, Can you get that v8 rumble from an sc400? Do i need to delete my cats and have just straight pipes? or what? If i delete my cats, i need that o2 sensor cable so that my check engine light doesn't come on right? Anyone know where i can get that from?

Thanks,

SCpwner
Old 12-25-07, 03:56 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my center cat gone, gives the exhaust a LITTLE more rumble. Its quiet when i cruise, but loud enough when i gun it. I wouldn't mind a LITTLE louder though for gunning it.
Old 12-26-07, 10:13 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I have my center cat gone, gives the exhaust a LITTLE more rumble. Its quiet when i cruise, but loud enough when i gun it. I wouldn't mind a LITTLE louder though for gunning it.
I already have my resonators deleted and that third cat. I want it louder though, like the old vettes.
Old 12-26-07, 07:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnathon...deleting the cats will definitely make the car louder. The key to a loud exhaust is few bends and few restrictions. I am not sure how many oxygen sensors attach to the cats, but you will need to get them welded to the down pipe that will need to be fabricated to prevent a CEL (check engine light).

I would think that deleting the mufflers rather than the cats would produce more of what you are after. There is a video of an SC400 without mufflers from a few weeks back. It definitely rumbles.
Old 12-28-07, 11:25 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Johnathon...deleting the cats will definitely make the car louder. The key to a loud exhaust is few bends and few restrictions. I am not sure how many oxygen sensors attach to the cats, but you will need to get them welded to the down pipe that will need to be fabricated to prevent a CEL (check engine light).

I would think that deleting the mufflers rather than the cats would produce more of what you are after. There is a video of an SC400 without mufflers from a few weeks back. It definitely rumbles.
Thanks man... but i was talking to a few guys at the shops and they said my best bet would be to gut the cats myself. I asked them if they could delete them for "off road" purposes and they didn't like that idea too much. I would like to keep my mufflers and get rid of the cats. The look of the mufflers is clean, and if i gutted the cats it would not cost anymore since i could do it myself. Also with the car being a '93 i found out i would not need to deal with the o2 sensors leading to a CEL. What do you think about this idea? Is it worth the likely day of labor to get it up and unbolting the cats? Once i get them down what am i going to gut them with?

Thanks all,

Johnathon
Old 12-28-07, 11:48 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you looked at a Lexus cat? From recollection, they are no restrictive at all. I suggest an X pipe with mandrel bends, delete 3rd cat, mandrel bent dual piping all the way back to Magnaflow 14829 mufflers. This is what I used to have and people told me it sounds like a souped up mustang. I am sure there are still videos of it on here I posted.

As for the cat - legally you only have to have 1 cat per pipe - so technically deleting a 3rd cat is not violating any laws

Jonny
Old 12-28-07, 06:10 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Have you looked at a Lexus cat? From recollection, they are no restrictive at all. I suggest an X pipe with mandrel bends, delete 3rd cat, mandrel bent dual piping all the way back to Magnaflow 14829 mufflers. This is what I used to have and people told me it sounds like a souped up mustang. I am sure there are still videos of it on here I posted.

As for the cat - legally you only have to have 1 cat per pipe - so technically deleting a 3rd cat is not violating any laws

Jonny
I have already deleted everything... i just have 2 cats and 14829 muff's
Old 12-28-07, 07:42 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im thinking the first 2 cats. are to help it warm up faster, then there is no restriction, as long as there working right. Which brings us to the next question. How do you know the front 2 cats. are opening up when hot?