Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 issue, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 03:44 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default W58 issue, or something else?

A few weeks ago I raced a nitrous'd Scion TC (had gone 14.5 at the track apaprently) on the highway. At about 130 MPH (a couple cars ahead ) I tried to shift into 5th and the car didn't want to. So I put it in neutral and just coasted to the next exit and got off, and when I turned around to hop back on the highway to take her home the car didn't want to change gears above idle. If I put the clutch in and let it drop to idle, it'd shift fine, then I could get back into the gas.

The car has a Centerforce Dual Friction. I checked a couple little things when I was taking it home to see if it had the same symptoms as when I'd messed up the stock pressure plate, but it didn't. And by the time I got to the intersection by my house it'd started to vibrate some.

I drained the tranny fluid that only had maybe 3K miles on it since the clutch install, and it still looked new. Filled it back up and started the car (it's up on jackstands at the moment) and accelerated it slightly up through third, and it would shift (not having to drop to idle like before) but I guess I'm not convinced.

Today I read a thread about someone's car just going nuts on them and shaking horribly and they said it might be the flywheel being loose. The guy who did my clutch (it was before I had a garage to do it myself) did reuse the flywheel bolts but torqued them properly and up until that night the car has ran just fine, never vibrated, anything. And even that night, the motor itself still sounded healthy and wasn't missing a beat so I don't think it's anything there.

I drive it aggressively when I'm racing but I don't grind gears and I don't purposely beat up on the tranny, and the car was only making maybe 190-200 whp NA when this happened. I can't imagine I shelled the W58, and the clutch should still be fine at that power level, so I'm really wondering what's up. A couple of friends have had this happen to them and it ended up just being low on fluid so maybe flushing it fixed it, but the car isn't coming out of the garage again until it's NA-T and I'm a bit nervous about how it'll fare in it's maiden voyage.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!