Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 01:59 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott - when I purchase an SC, I will be considering going this route. You said in your add that you've machined these parts in the past for $650? Is that the "going rate"? What about a custom front drive-shaft, and the adapter ring? How much extra would those cost from you? I'll happily pay whatever your rate is when I have the money to buy this car and build it.
Old 03-17-12, 05:17 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Scott - when I purchase an SC, I will be considering going this route. You said in your add that you've machined these parts in the past for $650? Is that the "going rate"? What about a custom front drive-shaft, and the adapter ring? How much extra would those cost from you? I'll happily pay whatever your rate is when I have the money to buy this car and build it.
I have machined some swap parts for a couple guys here and there to the tune of around $650. The driveshaft I could recomend a guy to go to for that. If you are serious you might want to jump on my clutch/machined parts I have for sale in the classifieds, after it sells you may play heck finding a deal like that.

here is the FS thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...peed-swap.html
Old 03-17-12, 05:32 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I have machined some swap parts for a couple guys here and there to the tune of around $650. The driveshaft I could recomend a guy to go to for that. If you are serious you might want to jump on my clutch/machined parts I have for sale in the classifieds, after it sells you may play heck finding a deal like that.

here is the FS thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...peed-swap.html
I am serious, but at the moment, I don't have the funds to buy this. If the parts are still available when I come into money, I probably will buy them.
Old 05-07-12, 12:56 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Scott,

Is this piece that you made useable on an NA-T GE motor?

Also could you reproduce one for my getrag swap? I am nearing the end of my parts list and I know i'm going to run into this issue with throwing belts from the jarring/shocking the getrag is going to put on the belt system. I'd rather not invest in the whole 6spd dampener system if a simple bracket like yours did the trick.

Let me know your thoughts on this and if your even willing to reproduce something like that for my application.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-07-12, 01:17 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrew,

You will need a 6 speed Supra /5speed IS300 manual oil pump those are the only (2) oil pumps that will work with the 6 speed dampner system.
Old 05-07-12, 01:57 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Andrew,

You will need a 6 speed Supra /5speed IS300 manual oil pump those are the only (2) oil pumps that will work with the 6 speed dampner system.
That's insane having to replace the entire oil pump just to do that, there's gotta be a more cost effective solution like Scott designed for his 1UZ to keep the tensioner from slipping.

Is this absolutely critical to the 6spd swap? Like will I be throwing belts on every hard 2nd gear shift etc etc?
Old 05-07-12, 02:01 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some have issues with the belt slipping some don't. It really depend on who you talk to ,everyone has a different opinion.
Old 05-09-12, 10:37 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Hey Scott,

Is this piece that you made useable on an NA-T GE motor?

Also could you reproduce one for my getrag swap? I am nearing the end of my parts list and I know i'm going to run into this issue with throwing belts from the jarring/shocking the getrag is going to put on the belt system. I'd rather not invest in the whole 6spd dampener system if a simple bracket like yours did the trick.

Let me know your thoughts on this and if your even willing to reproduce something like that for my application.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew, there is a possibilty that somthing like this could work in your application, the problem is I dont have anything but 1uz's to build from so I couldnt really design somthing for your application.

That's insane having to replace the entire oil pump just to do that, there's gotta be a more cost effective solution like Scott designed for his 1UZ to keep the tensioner from slipping.

Is this absolutely critical to the 6spd swap? Like will I be throwing belts on every hard 2nd gear shift etc etc?
I dont know how important it is for a 6 speed, the real reason it was so important on mine was the belt also drove a supercharger and thus created a lot of slack between shifts, my car would throw the belt almost every hard shift, after adding this it never lost another belt.
Old 05-26-12, 04:57 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Scott, do you have any finished pictures of your interior and how the new tunnel lines up with your shifter boot and center console items? I just finished a mock up of the 6spd tunnel.on my 94 sc300 and it definitely brings the openning back a good 3-4 inches.
Old 06-10-12, 08:22 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Hey Scott, do you have any finished pictures of your interior and how the new tunnel lines up with your shifter boot and center console items? I just finished a mock up of the 6spd tunnel.on my 94 sc300 and it definitely brings the openning back a good 3-4 inches.
I am sure I do, I will see what I can find.
Old 06-24-13, 09:38 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Hey man i like the build. Im gonna be doing the same swap into my 96 sc300 here soon. Just had some question, maybe u can give me some tips on collecting the parts and where i can find the
Old 06-24-13, 09:43 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Sorry accidentally hit the sent button lol. But the sc has a 2jzgte in it. I need to find the main parts like tranny driveshaft diff pedals and anything else u think ill need? Just looking on some site or place i should check out. And maybe help in the future. And btw. Great interior man. Well done. I know this isnt you interior thread but did you do it your self? If not where did you get done at? Thanks for ur help bro