Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 Smoking engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 12:19 AM
BBQPork
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 92 SC400 Smoking engine

Hi everyone,

First off I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all the detailed writeups! They've helped me tremendously since I purchased my 92 SC400 (140,xxx miles with all service records).

Recently I installed brand new NGK iridiums spark plugs, (I installed them one at a time so the firing order is the same as before, torqued at 13 flbs and gapped at 0.044), drove the car for about a week or two without issue and then took it to the Lexus dealership for an oil change...after the oil change my car sat in the garage for several days, i did not drive it at all. Started the car up today and things just didn't seem right anymore...

The car turns over, and idles different and louder and 3 seconds later...smoke comes up from underneath the car....I turn it off immediately and checked the engine compartment for a possible fire or something...nothing...turn the car on again...idles funny...and then smoke again...later on in the evening...same thing...turn over, idle funny...smoke...smells like burning oil...anyone have any idea? Could it be that I messed up the spark plug install? I installed them one at a time so the firing order is the same as before, torqued at 13 flbs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 09-20-07, 12:52 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must have been from the oil change since it was fine for a week after you installed the spark plugs. I've been in cars where it smells like burning oil after an oil change, but no smoke. Take it back to the Lexus dealer if possible.
Old 09-20-07, 10:27 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

If the smoke is blue that means it is burning oil. This should have happened for the first 10 minutes after you changed the plugs. Its peculiar to see it happen after an oil change... I would also recommend you take it back to the dealership.
Old 09-20-07, 06:26 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

When you removed the plugs, was there oil on any of them? If so the gaskets on the valve cover might be or are leaking. Doesn't sound like this is the case, but it's one less thing to check off the list. I agree with taking it back to the dealership.
Old 09-20-07, 10:55 PM
BBQPork
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input everyone! Took it back to the dealership and it looks like I'm going to be down a couple grand...head gasket needs replacing..

Well, since they are going to open her up I was wondering if anyone could suggest an upgrade I can do while they're in there anyways...I don't know much in terms of internals that will boost my power...cams? How much are they? Where can I get some?

ps...this totally sucks
Old 09-20-07, 11:09 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear man, I just find it kinda fishy that it happened right after you got your oil change.
Old 09-21-07, 05:41 PM
BBQPork
Driver School Candidate

So after further inspection by Lexus there seems to be no issues...not a head gasket issue after all...I think they might have covered their butts from the oil change service...

Thank you everyone for their input! I really really appreciate it!
Old 09-21-07, 06:42 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Thats good to hear, but how can they mess up on an oil change haha. Maybe they overfilled it?
Old 09-21-07, 07:16 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQPork
So after further inspection by Lexus there seems to be no issues...not a head gasket issue after all...I think they might have covered their butts from the oil change service...

Thank you everyone for their input! I really really appreciate it!
So do you know the cause of the problem?

Jonny