Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another SC400T in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 02:16 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another SC400T in the works!

I have officially started planning my single turbo SC400 1UZ project. I'm hoping to start the work a little before winter sets in and shift into full gear right after. I definitely want the project done by spring time.

My goals are around 300-350 to the wheels and from there ill make the fuel upgrades as I see fit.

I'm re-using pretty much everything I used for the Camry turbo project which fell through because of piping issues.

The plan so far is to create a custom passenger side manifold and link that to the driverside which will then feed into the turbo. I'm going to get some electric fans to replace the stock fan and mount the turbo right up front.

With any luck and lots of planning the project should go smoothly.
I'll be cutting and tack welding the pipes myself and then taking it to a shop to have them clean the welds up for me..

The manifold is going to be a log style, very very simple.

The turbo is a Garret t3/t4 .60/.63... Its a little small i know but its more than enough for now... I may go twin later on down the line

The following is a list of what I'll be using and a list of things left to do.

Engine:

Hybrid Garret Turbo- T3/T4 .60/.63
Tial 38MM wastegate (working on getting a 40 or 50 mm)
HKS SSQV Blow-off valve
1-step colder NGK plugs
Ebay Intercooler 29 x 12 x 3
440cc Supra injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
T4 Mild Steel Flange
T3 Mild Steel Flange
LS400 Fan Bracket
Hayden Tranny cooler
2 Magnaflows Mufflers
2 Generic resonators
2 Magnaflow cats

Electronics:

Greddy Emanage Blue
AEM Wideband + o2 sensor
Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge
Autometer Oil Temperature Gauge
Autometer Boost/Vacuum Gauge
Ford Taurus 3.8L Fan

What's left to do (In their respective order:

1. Mount intercooler
2. Install electric fan
3. Fabricate cold pipes
4. Fabricate hot pipes
5. Fabricate down pipe
6. Flip Manifolds, install hot pipes and wastegate
7. Install gauges
8. Tap oil return and oil feed
9. Fire it up
10. Connect to exhaust
11. TUNE!

Gotta get 2 more! Supra 440cc injectors from a 7mgte

Last edited by Curry; 11-12-07 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 02:23 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome! I love seeing these builds...inspires me to someday do something to mine...
Old 09-13-07, 02:27 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

love the wendys comparison . good luck with the build, u just bought the car and ur already modding lol, is this gonna be on the 1uz?
Old 09-13-07, 02:31 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
love the wendys comparison . good luck with the build, u just bought the car and ur already modding lol, is this gonna be on the 1uz?
Thanks, Yea its going to be straight 1UZ power. We have a spare 1U that my friend was able to get so we're going to use that to mock up a lot of the piping.

I'm also thinking about doing the 4.7 liter conversion as well, Still researching it though.
Old 09-13-07, 02:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice NY seems to be having a lot of boosted SC's in the works whenever yall ready to battle the MD posse let me know ha ha........
Old 09-13-07, 05:58 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's similar like my set up. Check it out here: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031. My set up is almost done. I hope when it's done, yours or mine, it'll give a new face to the SC400 owners.
Old 09-13-07, 06:06 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I've been following your setup very closely and thats pretty much where i got the idea from. I was basically trying to replicate it. It's probably the best way hands down to do it, especially since we have little space to work with as is.

Do you have any other shots from different angles of the piping and dimensions on the custom manifold (i.e length of the runners)

Would you mind PM'ing them or emailing them if you have more?
Old 09-13-07, 08:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this.

I especially like how you are using simple products to achieve a simple goal. 300-350whp is clearly accomplishable without much boost. I think this is a great way to keep costs down, while maintaining stock reliability. At the same time, your performance will put your SC400 at or above the stock luxury sports cars in the 2008 class.

I will definitely keep an eye on this. I, too, am going FI on the V8 with a goal of 300-350whp by the spring. This is inspiring for me as well.

Good Luck.
Old 09-14-07, 05:00 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Curry: I am excited to see yet another member of the community going FI on their V8. I guess a few of us had to step up and trailblaze the way to show others that it can be done. Your project looks awsome, and like something many can complete without extreme costs, or rebuilding the whole engine. I will be watching your progress and cheering you on...Be sure to run a leak down to test your stock compression, change out the stock head gaskets to MLS, and replace the stock Head Studs with ARP...That should keep your engine together...

Ryan
Old 09-14-07, 06:50 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
It's similar like my set up. Check it out here: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031. My set up is almost done. I hope when it's done, yours or mine, it'll give a new face to the SC400 owners.
Requires login information

Jonny
Old 09-14-07, 07:10 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I love this.

I especially like how you are using simple products to achieve a simple goal. 300-350whp is clearly accomplishable without much boost. I think this is a great way to keep costs down, while maintaining stock reliability. At the same time, your performance will put your SC400 at or above the stock luxury sports cars in the 2008 class.

I will definitely keep an eye on this. I, too, am going FI on the V8 with a goal of 300-350whp by the spring. This is inspiring for me as well.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to make sure I get that done.
Old 09-14-07, 01:45 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Got a little work done today. I broke the piece i was using so for fitment purposes I used black tape while I wait for a new piece. Overall I like the way it looks. Its not super OEM or hidden but it works for me. The gauges sit funny because it was broken so yea.

Old 09-14-07, 02:21 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Curry...... Im jealous You have had the car for a few weeks and you have done more than me haha.
Old 09-14-07, 02:43 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

LOL. I've gotta work at a good pace before winter hits hard. IF it decides to hit hard.

Next week or the week after im gonna do springs, wheels and maybe a new rear bumpers + skirts. All while fabricating the in-dash carPC screen.

We'll see what happens. Lots of multi-tasking though. LOTS
Old 09-15-07, 09:10 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is more like it! i love the FI projects for the 1uz...i can't wait to join the ranks!! i have a 98 vvti motor to install in a few weeks an although it is obdII,this is the motor i will choose to work on.. where in ny are you? somewhere close to me i hope

Quick Reply: Another SC400T in the works!