Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My SMOG experience...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 03:40 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My SMOG experience...

Well, Saturday I decided to take my car in for a smog check, as i just recently purchased my car and it is needed to do the title transfer. So after the test was done, I was told I failed. Thats when I figured that I should do a little tune-up since the car has ~180k on it and who knows what has been done to the car.

So i get home and figure first thing i should do is change the plugs...but before I did, I wanted to give seafoam a shot. Ive heard good things about it and i figured why not. I know it fouls plugs up so I figured id do this right before i change the plugs. After smoking up half my neighborhood, I started to take off the throttle body....to change the plugs. When I took it off, it looked not too dirty from the side air comes in, but look what i found on the other side!!!!

Ive never in my life seen something so dirty. Then i took a look into the intake manifold...just as bad!

And this was all AFTER i did two runs of seafoam. God knows what it looked like before. So i guess that shows you how well seafoam REALLY works. I went out and bought like 5 bottles of throttle body cleaner and 1 bottle of the seafoam spray...i think its called DEEP CREEP. Now this stuff worked great. I would spray it on and you could see bubbles all over of the stuff reacting with the oil. I let it sit for a while and clean it off with the regular throttle body cleaner. I also busted out a toothbrush and some elbow grease. After a couple hours of scrubbing, this is what I got:

I changed my plugs, cap, rotor, threw some fuel cleaner in...I definatly need to get a new PCV valve as that may be a reason why it got so dirty. I will be looking into a catchcan as well. Hopefully I dont need to buy new plug wires or some 02 sensors.....I will report the result if I pass smog tommorow.

Last edited by evileagle; 09-10-07 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 04:13 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE! What a big difference. You should always do a large service on your car if it has been a while or you don't know what the person did before.

I did the same, but didn't have enough time to remove the entire throttle body.
Old 09-10-07, 04:21 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice! I spent a lot of time with degreaser on my intake manifold when I had it off.
Old 09-10-07, 04:45 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang! Extreme Throttle Body Makeover. nice spit shine you did there.
Old 09-10-07, 05:12 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Derrrr....Those look like engine parts to me....Moved!!!
Old 09-10-07, 05:39 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will find that gunk build-up again. Its the result of exhaust gasses being recirculated into the intake. From your EGR system. That pain in the *** pipe that you removed to get the intake off.

gadgetSC
Old 09-10-07, 07:39 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
You will find that gunk build-up again. Its the result of exhaust gasses being recirculated into the intake. From your EGR system. That pain in the *** pipe that you removed to get the intake off.

gadgetSC
I will be ordering a EGR blockoff plate shortly