Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Valve job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 07:41 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Valve job?

Hi everyone

Found out my sc300 (all stock) has a valve seal leaking on cylinder 4 (after compression and leak down tests). Now it has to go to a shop in a couple of days. I was thinking of getting a valve job done at DPR racing shop in Gardena (http://www.dprracing.com/prod&serv/H...oyotaheads.htm). They have a pocket port package for $790. Do you think its worth it? He said I can expect a little gain in power after getting it done.

I was thinking of putting on a new head gasket (HKS metal head gasket) since I read that they are more durable. And vacuuming any deposits off the pistons.

What else should I get done while the head is off? And what do you say is a good price for some one to pull the head off and do all the stuff except the valve job? Can I ask them to let me take pictures while they are at it?

Sorry for such questions but this is my first car and I am a foreign student so not sure what deal is good deal.

Thanks
Old 07-16-07, 09:10 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming your car is weak, but driveable right now. If you search properly, you can find a new 3L engine for less than $790 that probably has significantly fewer miles on it than your currect engine. That would probably be the cheapest, easiest way to return to having a fully functional vehicle.
Old 07-17-07, 09:36 AM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Thanks for the advice blizzy. My car doesnt feel very weak but has white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Since it only has 125K on the motor I thought it would be better and cheaper to get this work done. But if you think this wont make the motor healthy enough then i might as well go for a used engine. NO point in wasting my tuition money lol
Old 07-17-07, 10:00 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Honestly, the head work would likely solve your problem. But, I would rather have a motor with fewer miles for the same price over a rebuilt motor.

If you have spare change and performance at all on your mind, the head rebuild and a thicker-than-stock head gasket would give you a sufficient compression ratio to run a turbocharged system.

But, from the sounds of it, you are looking to get back to stock. Your local junk yards would probably be happy to get rid of an SC300 2JZ-GE since there is almost no demand for the engine. I would call around to see the prices you could get.

Also, put a WTB ad on the classifieds. Someone who has the motor sitting around may even have an engine hoist in their garage to help you install the motor into your car. Just a thought...
Old 07-17-07, 10:41 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, aliga and R&J always have GE motors for sale.
Old 07-17-07, 12:26 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

$300 for a complete engine on the classified. It would probably run about that to run it coast to coast...but, that is a pretty good deal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=294363
Old 07-17-07, 01:03 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

That is a good deal. I'd love to put a fresher GE in my car and tear apart my old tired one to prepare for the turbo setup.
Old 07-17-07, 01:27 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blizzy
$300 for a complete engine on the classified. It would probably run about that to run it coast to coast...but, that is a pretty good deal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=294363
Actually I have a better deal on a GE but the swapping cost here is ridiculous. I wish I had the tools, space and the expertise to do it myself. I will definitely shop around a little bit more for garages with reasonable swapping costs. Till then I will ride the campus shuttle . And thanks for searching on my behalf bro.
Old 07-17-07, 01:34 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

No friends with a garage?
Old 07-17-07, 01:47 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gunnar
No friends with a garage?
Nope bad luck. I havent met people with tuned cars on campus so no contacts sadly.