Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 07:31 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Resonators?

Are all three of these resonators or is the top one the CAT?

I couldn't find a picture online so i had to draw

Oh and for the people that don't know what i am talking about this is a drawing of the exhaust

thanks
Johnathon

Last edited by SCpwner; 07-16-07 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 08:04 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

That looks like an arm-less, head-less stickman with growths.

The two bottom blobs in your pic looks like the resonator location to me.
Old 07-16-07, 08:14 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. The two bottome blobs resemble the location of the stock resonators. The top blob is the oval cat. I deleted all of them.
Old 07-16-07, 08:59 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lower pair in the picture are resonators. top item is the center cat: pretty much one giant tube with stuffing that helps the environment.

there are probably 5-10dB up for grabs with the resonators. there is probably 1-2hp and 3-5dB up for grabs with the center cat.

for cheap sound: cut the resonators.
Old 07-17-07, 05:31 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neurocity
That looks like an arm-less, head-less stickman with growths.

The two bottom blobs in your pic looks like the resonator location to me.
haha... nice imagination and Thanks guys this is what i thought and i wanted to make sure since today i am going to get them cut out... so here is another question should i get all of them cut out or just the resonators? and is it worth cutting out the CAT before i have to take it in to get inspected? (i don't know when that will be).

thanks
Old 07-17-07, 01:21 PM
GaDawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the resonators and had the pipes aft of the center cat replaced with 2.25" piping straightened slightly (staying outside of the drivetrain). They lead to hi-flow Magnaflow, polished, stainless steel, offset (OEM shape) and Magnaflow hi-flow chrome tips. I also plan on replacing the forward cats with hi-flowing Maganaflows and either removing the center cat or replacing it with a universal Magnaflow 2-in-1 connector/cat. Everything I have done definitely improved the sound (nice smooth, V8 growl/rumble for 400s) and gave me a real nice bump in hp, but I haven't verified exactly how much; some of the pros around here tell me its probably around a 5-10hp bump up. The resonators are wasted weight and restrict the airflow way too much...kill 'em (and the stock mufflers) and enjoy.
Old 07-17-07, 02:22 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GaDawg
I removed the resonators and had the pipes aft of the center cat replaced with 2.25" piping straightened slightly (staying outside of the drivetrain). They lead to hi-flow Magnaflow, polished, stainless steel, offset (OEM shape) and Magnaflow hi-flow chrome tips. I also plan on replacing the forward cats with hi-flowing Maganaflows and either removing the center cat or replacing it with a universal Magnaflow 2-in-1 connector/cat. Everything I have done definitely improved the sound (nice smooth, V8 growl/rumble for 400s) and gave me a real nice bump in hp, but I haven't verified exactly how much; some of the pros around here tell me its probably around a 5-10hp bump up. The resonators are wasted weight and restrict the airflow way too much...kill 'em (and the stock mufflers) and enjoy.
Thanks bro... I did that today and turns out there are 3 resonators that top blob was a resonator and the 2 cats are up towards the engine. It sounds a lot better tbh and i am happy with my decision

thanks for the help guys.