Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Personal concern: Are lightened flywheels "loud" ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 02:20 PM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Personal concern: Are lightened flywheels "loud" ??

I've been doing a lot of research both here and at SupraForums in regards to installing a lightweight flywheel (I'll post this at SF too). I really should change the clutch for my W58 this summer, and I may as well upgrade whatever I can while the tranny is out. I'm interested in either the Fidanza or Unorthodox lightweight flywheels (likely to purchase from MVP, where I found them) as well as a SPEC stage 2 or stage 2+ clutch.

Anyway, my concern is that I read some very brief posts about the drivetrain being "loud" or the flywheel being "loud" after the flywheel was installed. Everyone installs both the clutch and flywheel, so there really is no definitive answer as to whether its the new aftermarket clutch, the flywheel, or perhaps both. Some people say absolutely nothing about it being loud, and others only mention it in passing.

The point here is that of course I'd like my engine to perform well and rev quicker, but I don't want to lose much of the silence I have in my car (exhaust aside). Seriously, constant loud whirring or whatever would be real annoying. Anyone have any input? I need to figure out if this is true before I buy everything in a few weeks. Thanks all.
Old 07-05-07, 06:13 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Its called Flywheel Chatter. I love that sound. I would suggest going with a Fidanza flywheel. Much better choice.
Old 07-06-07, 11:54 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i have a lightened flywheel in mine with an OEM clutch and i dont really hear anything. but maybe i dont know what to listen for
Old 07-06-07, 06:14 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

i have the fidanza alum flywheel and a centerforce df clutch, works great zero noise. i've been warned about this and was advised to get a lightened steel flywheel but i said f it i don't care about noise,
Old 07-06-07, 07:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

its more the clutch than the flywheel... any noise will only be when slipping either way...

a sprung full face clutch disk will have less noise than a 6 puck or an unsprung hub... these noises made by the clutch may have a more distinct and louder sound than those on a stock flywheel, but a oe style clutch will negate that...
Old 07-07-07, 09:52 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a stock flywheel, my DF chatters a little at idle if I have the clutch pedal completely to the floor, if I relax on the pedal at all the sound goes away.
Old 07-07-07, 02:14 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gunnar
I have a stock flywheel, my DF chatters a little at idle if I have the clutch pedal completely to the floor, if I relax on the pedal at all the sound goes away.
i had this same issue for like a week then it went away,