Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Easier Solution to Dreaded Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 05:42 PM
Soarer78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easier Solution to Dreaded Power Steering Leak

Here are two potential solutions to this annoying and expensive problem, I would love to hear some input.

1: Put some kind of heat resistant silicone sealer type stuff over the leaking area. Talking to the mechanic, these seem to leak where two parts come together, so why not just put a bunch of sealer over it? It would then be airtight, I wonder if that would cause problems.

2: Shield the alternator with something, and just live with the leak. Apparently the alternator might overheat though, from what I've heard. Any opinions on this?

These are both concerned with the pump, obviously, I don't care about my leaking high pressure hose, as that doesn't leak onto the alternator. I can live with adding fluid everyday, but I don't want to shell out $1000+ just for some fluid leak. If these ideas aren't any good, there surely must be some other simple way to deal with a leak.
Old 05-29-07, 05:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

(a)- moved to the proper forum.

(b)- You cannot put sealant over it and expect it to hold for ten seconds.

(c)- Living with the leak is ghetto, fix the problem.
Old 05-29-07, 06:00 PM
Soarer78
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the wrong forum thing. I don't think living with the leak would be that bad, as long as it is not hitting your alternator. It seems like a simple problem like a leak should have a simple solution...I mean you don't replace your entire house roof if you get a hole in it, you just patch it up. As long as the fluid is diverted away form the alternator, whats the problem? By the way, anybody have any opinions on this type of product?

http://www.barsproducts.com/P30L.htm

Could this possibly stop the leak?
Old 05-29-07, 06:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

unless the steering rack itself is leaking, there is nothing expensive about replacing the lines, especially if you are doing the work yourself...

mine has a slight drip I don't intend on fixing, as before long I plan on doing the 1JZ swap and it will either come with a different pump, or, if deemed necessary, it will all be replaced while outside of the car...

the pump can usually be found around $100 and the lines are probably the same or cheaper...
Old 05-29-07, 06:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer78
Sorry about the wrong forum thing. I don't think living with the leak would be that bad, as long as it is not hitting your alternator. It seems like a simple problem like a leak should have a simple solution...I mean you don't replace your entire house roof if you get a hole in it, you just patch it up. As long as the fluid is diverted away form the alternator, whats the problem? By the way, anybody have any opinions on this type of product?

http://www.barsproducts.com/P30L.htm

Could this possibly stop the leak?
Lemme edjumacate ya on the PS pump.

Leaks of the pump are from the top where an o-ring seal is and when they get worn enough to leak, they are dead.

Leaks from the hose fitting is from the copper o-ring which is 5 bucks at lexus.

Leaks are not one way. They let fluid out and air in. You'll destroy the rack and cost yourself $1500 if you don't FIX it.

In relation to the alternator, the fluid does not kill it by dripping on it, the fluid over TIME kills it by eating the bearing out of it. A big explosion of fluid won't hurt the alt unless it hit's it JUUUUUSSSSTTTT right, a constant dripping into it eating the bearing WILL which allows the alt to short circuit on the armature from the play.
Old 05-29-07, 07:33 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you should have bought a used honda instead of a used lexus?
Old 05-29-07, 08:33 PM
Soarer78
Driver School Candidate

$100 for the pump seems cheap, the dealer charges $550 and online I think they can be had for around $350, but the high pressure hose is also a couple hundred dollars.

If I were to cover the alternator, there would not even be a slight drip, though. But the letting air in thing is a problem I didn't think of. Does anybody have experience with these fluids that supposedly fix the leak, as the one I linked to above? If this stuff actually works, it would be a godsend to the SC community with our shoddy pumps.
Old 05-31-07, 02:08 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

have your hoses rebuilt for 75 bucks!
Old 05-31-07, 08:54 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by play123boi
have your hoses rebuilt for 75 bucks!
Thats the route I took. Theres a place in orlando that I went to called Amazon Hose... They have a website but I dont know if its nationwide of not... Google it if you want.. Only thing is, you gotta take the hose off and bring it to them...
Old 06-01-07, 06:44 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by got_trd
Thats the route I took. Theres a place in orlando that I went to called Amazon Hose... They have a website but I dont know if its nationwide of not... Google it if you want.. Only thing is, you gotta take the hose off and bring it to them...
yup, place by me called Mooreland Hoses will rebuilt/make any kid of hose you bring them.