Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

how mych power can a 5 speed tranny take

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-01, 02:24 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how mych power can a 5 speed tranny take

I was thinking about going turbo,
and was wondeirng how much power the stock 5speed manual can take?
Also if I find a 6speed from a supra, where can I get an longer axle needed to connect it to the rear?
Thanks
Ken
Old 12-10-01, 02:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff and a couple others say 450-500ft-lbs of torque before they start breaking

That "axle" is called a driveshaft, and you can't get it anywhere, it will have to be custom made... which is pretty easy

If you're wanting to make that much power, let me recommend you get a automatic SupraTT differential (uses stock axles, or get a manual diff and the manual axles)
Old 12-22-01, 06:46 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the clutch...
Jeff ran a double diaphragm clutch on the 5spd and kept losing 2nd gear in the tranny...
I've got a softer single sprung disk carbon clutch, and haven't shed a tranny yet. I occasionally will dial up 450+ rw torque, but the clutch at that level doesn't grip with much authority. So basically if your clutch is weaker and doesn't transmit much shock, the tranny will withstand quite a bit. Also if you put slicks or drag radials, you're much more likely to shred the tranny.

The Supra 6spd, driveshaft, LSD, and axles are needed to put down big HP effectively. If you're not a drag racer or streetlight to streetlight racer, I'd say you could get by with the 5spd for quite a while. If you want to launch quickly, you'll need the Supra parts.

I'd like to see someone put a custom $2500 Tilton Carbon-Carbon unit on the 5spd... With that clutch, you can feather it off the line with loads of boost and just slip it until the light turns green---like powerbraking on an automatic. The clutch takes the abuse not the tranny. Still, if you pop the clutch with a Tilton, you'd probably be picking up your axles off the road. As far as I know, Tilton doesn't have a direct Supra NA application, though they do make one for the TT.
Old 12-22-01, 09:34 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, what about that new carbon-carbon clutch from RPS? I know there's a 6spd application, not sure about the 5spd. Rob Smith says it's supposed to be a great compromise, it's not a sprung hub, but it still supposedly has some 'give' to it.
Old 12-22-01, 12:48 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I've seen the RPS version for the Supra... Same theory. You've got carbon pushing against carbon and not carbon against a metal pressure plate and flywheel. The Tilton version has more surfaces than the RPS, and perhaps higher capacity because of this. The $$$ is even more than the RPS. Still, not sure if either company would do a custom version for the NA 5spd. The nice thing is that you don't need extreme pressure on these disks because there are so many friction surfaces to divide up the load, you don't need a huge diameter clutch and you don't need a super stiff plate.