Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much power can the stock 5spd handle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 12:04 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is something to consider, if these guys are reporting the w58 holding up to some decent power, and being light as well--

Plus the fact that they are cheap, and a manual isn't that bad to swap out at all, it may have it's own set of considerable advantages when you want to go lightweight and not make a huge ton of power for just a daily driver/trip car--

I'm not one to dump the clutch on a car that I've spent this much time on so far, and will continue to invest time and money in anyhow---

It doesn't make sense to beat the hell out of a 15 year old car anyway, ***** gets expensive on these things ya know!!
Old 01-29-07, 12:04 PM
simann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy driveshaft yokes ( the front or rear) from many driveshaft shops around america for really cheap.

You simply tell them what car you have ( or comparible i.e. the supra or SC300) and they can get them for you.

I have seen them as low as $25 per piece. Front or Rear.

***** Make sure you get sealed joints, not the refillable grease fittings!!! The sealed ones last ALOT longer and are easier to deal with. The refillable grease fitting yokes are usually for high angle driveshaft set ups like SUV's and off road vehicles that go through mud. The more angle on the yoke, the more wear it will have, everyday cars have pretty much 15' degree of less angle driveshafts so there is no need for these refillable joints. ********
That is reviewed here:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/angle.ivnu

Or you can measure the distance front tip to tail for a custom drive shaft. Spend about $400 on an aluminum unit (or cro-moly steel) and go from there.

I had a custom 1pc aluminum unit from Driveshaft shop in NYC for $450 Shipped.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

Off the topic, it was one of the best modifications to the drivetrain I ever did to the car. It made such a difference on power delivery and just sheer "responsiveness" as far as power to the ground.

-Jonathan Mann

Last edited by simann; 01-29-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 12:36 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

but to get the shifter to hit the stock location for all the manual sc300 trim pieces, you either need the soarer r154 tailshaft, or you have to mod/lengthen the supra tailshaft--
Old 01-29-07, 12:39 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
but to get the shifter to hit the stock location for all the manual sc300 trim pieces, you either need the soarer r154 tailshaft, or you have to mod/lengthen the supra tailshaft--

Legnthening the tailshaft should be rather easy to do.

Just open the rear section of the box and figure out how much more length of the shifter linkage you need and go from there. Cut and weld. Or you could make a slip joint.

-Jonathan
Old 01-29-07, 12:58 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

W58 won't hold the power for long. Anyone that tells you otherwise is still praying that their w58 doesn't blow up on them.
Old 01-29-07, 12:59 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Mine lasted 3-4 months of me barely driving it. No point in babying anything. If you are going to beat the car, better believe something is going to break sooner or later.
Old 01-30-07, 05:59 AM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

Hopefully the redline heavy duty will hold my w58 together like it does for r33 gtr trannys that will blow 3rd gear synchros as well. Sean Morris has held a few together with it so I hope it will hold mine at sub 500 hp levels.
Old 01-30-07, 08:20 AM
BuddyJ
Driver School Candidate

Coming from the Celica Supra board, we did a big poll about the W58 with our high horsepower members. Their consensus was once you hit 350hp, you're getting into the danger zone. It'll all depend on how you drive, though. Hard 3rd gear pulls seem to be the death of most of these trannies.

It's been suggested that it's the torque and not overall horsepower that people should judge by. The 1JZ guys seem to have better luck with W58s than the 5/6/7M and 2JZ guys, and I've yet to hear of any 1G-GTE popping it. Perhaps it's one case where displacement isn't your friend.
Old 01-30-07, 08:40 AM
simann
Pole Position

Like I said, putting a W58 on a 1UZ just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Too much torque from the get go, much less when turbochargers are involved.

The point is, yes you could probably drive it soft every day....but that would negate the whole point of putting on turbo's to the 1UZ (Fun Factor).

I just would not want to read your thread a half year from now talking about you were just driving normally to work and the transmission went caput on you all of the sudden doing 5mph in a school zone.

Its all about "insurance" for the future. Do the R154.

-Jonathan
Old 01-31-07, 05:18 PM
David_K
Driver School Candidate

I have a TKO600 RR tranny that used to be in my cobra maybe i can get a bellhousing and use that
Old 02-01-07, 11:14 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

You sure can, and that's a good option, 3550 too-- both have custom bell's from dellowsauto .... About $500 or so in USD-- if I remember right....

I'm thinkin shift kit on the A340 now though, as it can hold good power with a valve body, and perform better with a higher stall-- It's just a lot easier and keeps the car stock, with no worries of grenading a cheap tranny in the first place..