Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who is boosted and still using W58? Tell us about your setup please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 06:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Who is boosted and still using W58? Tell us about your setup please...

Who is boosted and still using W58? Tell us a bit about your setup please.

What clutch, flywheel and why? How is that setup?
What are the driving characteristics?
How much HP/TQ are you sending through it? How much boost?
How many miles on your W58?
What is your driving style?
How have you modified your driving style to compensate for the W58?
What are the secrets to making them last longer?(outside of no hard launches or power shifting).
What tends to break them?

I'm going with a Competition Lightweight Flywheel and an Action stage 6 clutch (6puck sprung).
Old 05-11-15, 07:15 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save your money and stick with the stock flywheel, just have it resurfaced.

I have a competition stage 4 6-puck sprung disc setup. Stock Flywheel. I wanted a clutch that could take some abuse without having to worry about it slipping, this setup does that it's very strong.

The only quirk I've found with the driving characteristics is engagement can be a bit touchy. If you roll off idle low from a start it will engage harsh and kinda jerk. If you give it some revs it slips much easier / smoother. Otherwise the pedal feel isn't heavy at all, it's light.

I'm running around 16-17psi, it's a NA-T PTE6265, whatever whp or tq that equates to but it feels strong, scares the **** out of the girlfriend!

My car has 99k miles, stock original w58. It's been boosted like this for maybe 5,000 miles.

I've been daily driving the car for a few months now. I drive easy day to day to save gas so I'm not launching it or ripping it often just highway pulls or on ramps.

No launching, no powershifting, going easy on shifts has I think prolonged the transmission. Good tires are a must if you start making power. My previous ****ty federal tires would spin / wheel hop the rear end badly and I believe this contributes to grenading transmissions more than anything.

I've always heard 3rd gear breaks, which is true also for the r154's. I think it boils down to the condition of the w58 and how much tq you are making, and how hard you drive it (launching / shifting hard).

I'm currently shopping for a r154, v160 if I can find a decent buy.
Old 05-11-15, 04:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

HIPSI,
Thank you for your reply!
With regard to the flywheel, I really trust the guy building my car. I gave him a few "just trust me" cards, the clutch/flywheel combo was his first. He uses it and LOVES it. As does every client he has installed it for. I can't wait to drive it.
I think it will last well for me. I am in my 50's and have mellowed quite a bit. I catch fire once in a while and it is over soon. I just like to know I can!
There is a V160 floating around on the FB group for a good price. Might be worth a peek....

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-15, 07:30 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no doubts the lightweight flywheel works well, but IMO it isn't really necessary especially for 350-400whp. Just a way to save money when you already have a perfectly usable stock flywheel.

I'll check the FB group thanks!
Old 05-17-15, 01:48 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Anyone else using the W58 and boosted?
Old 05-17-15, 04:23 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

w58 above 350rwhp/tq of abusive driving , you will be on borrowed times or problems start to show up

r154 above 500rwhp/tq of abusive driving , you will be on borrowed times or problems like leaks start to show up

v160 been proven to hold over +1000rwhp with abusive driving.

IF you take it easy on all the above transmissions, they can go above the stated rwhp/tq ratings . I know someone who dynoed at 520rhwp on a w58 , didn't blow up on the dyno, but drives like a granny daily and damn tranny is still alive after 7 years. A local guy made 740rwhp on a stock R154 till it gave way since he was on the drag strip always. It is all about how you use and abuse your car.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-17-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 05:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
w58 above 350rwhp/tq of abusive driving , you will be on borrowed times or problems start to show up

r154 above 500rwhp/tq of abusive driving , you will be on borrowed times or problems like leaks start to show up

v160 been proven to hold over +1000rwhp with abusive driving.

IF you take it easy on all the above transmissions, they can go above the stated rwhp/tq ratings . I know someone who dynoed at 520rhwp on a w58 , didn't blow up on the dyno, but drives like a granny daily and damn tranny is still alive after 7 years. It is all about how you use and abuse your car.
Thank You,
Mine has a great chance at lasting because.........
It has only 68K miles.
It was owned by an older lady who babied it.
I drive pretty mellow 90% of the time.
I got two big tickets in one year, 6 points each. One was for doing 76in a 50. I have to be mellow for 18 months.
I like to drive normal/aggressive and chirp tires a bit, not much else. I don't even know how to do a burnout really...
I will be making 375 to 450 HP. I need a clearer understanding of what I can get away with while driving it. I know the obvious things not to do but I have seen people work them pretty hard and get away with it.