Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Turns itsself off

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 10:55 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Turns itsself off

The last few months, I have had a strange problem with my 1992 SC400, Sometimes after running my engine a little hard (80 - 90 mph) for a short burst, when I slow down, the engine turns itsself off. It does not sputter or cough, just turns off as if I turned the ignition key off. I usually pull over to the side of the road and wait a minute or two and it starts up and runs like normal. Since, it happens on it's own schedule, I cannot reproduce the problem when I need to to show it to my mechanic.
In trying to research this error, we decided that the speed sensor Could be the problem. So I replaced that. And, it seemed to run OK for about a month. Yesterday, It turned off again. I now suspect the Engine computer may have a fault.
What do you think? I do not want to spend $800.00 plus for an ECU and just to have it fail again. So, if you have gone through anything like this, I would appreciate your input.
Thank You
Old 10-15-06, 11:12 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like you got yourself a Demonic Possession.

Actually I read a post one here some one with a LS having the same problem.

Don't remember how or what search-words I used to find it, but its in here...somewhere?
Old 10-24-06, 10:00 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Talking Update on my engine problem

I was out in my SC400 with my buddy, who is also my mechanic and my car would not start after stopping at PEP Brothers. I was Very thankful that Shannon was with me, because he was able to diagnose the problem immediately. It turns out to be the Fuel ECU. The one behind the rear drivers-side panel. I ordered one from used parts company. It will be here this week end. And on Saturday, I will put it in.
Shannon is positive that that will cure my problem. I searched on Fuel ECU here and found a lot of information.
I will keep this thread updated as I install the ECU and how it drives the next few weeks.
Old 10-24-06, 02:02 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a similar problem, When you drive rought battery moves if its not mounted properly, something as basic as a loose battery connection will shut ur car off when slowing down, take out teh terminals clean them and put them back in TIGHT.

If it was your fuel ECU it would actually sputter then die or start to do wierd things at any speed.

My car did the exact same stuff, and when I stopped all lights inside would stay on, but when it would came to crank all lights went out and then no start, took pepsi and poured it on top of terminal to burn acid residue and teh car started., your problem seems to be electrical.
Old 10-24-06, 02:49 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thanks for that information. My engine has had both symptoms. I will check the battery and I am thinking of replacing all of the ground straps.