Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help!!! Cant Remove Ac Compressor!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 05:49 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Cant Remove Ac Compressor!

Hey guys, I really need help on this one. I removed all the necessary bolts that connect from the ac compressor to the car. I believe there were 4 bolts and one nut. I also unplugged the electrical harness and plugs.

My only problem is that no matter how hard I try, I cant remove the compressor. Is there anything I missed??

I followed OLT's DYI on removal and installation

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...r+installation

But I still can't remove the thing. Please guys, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-06, 08:44 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to move the battery out, and we loosened the radiator i think and that gave the gap enough to pull it out, try moving it around in that area its in and see if you can pull it out lengthwise. GL.
Old 09-09-06, 09:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

are you saying it is not moving at all? Maybe a little?

Make sure the bracket on bottom you loosened the bolt on is not catching on the stud.
Old 09-10-06, 03:17 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Ok after a LOT of WD40, I was finally able to pull the compressor through, but I ran into ANOTHER problem.

I still can't get the compressor out because of a really long bolt that is connected to the engine. The bolt connects itself through one of the holes in the AC compressor and where is I had to remove the nut.

The bolt is REALLY long and I'm almost there to removing the compressor but the only thing that is preventing it from completely being removed are the power steering hoses. I tried EVERYTHING, rotating it, drummeling off some pieces, but I still can't remove the compressor.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old 09-10-06, 03:22 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your car a 300 or a 400?
Old 09-10-06, 03:26 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

it's a 300.
Old 09-10-06, 04:04 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

after taking the two hoses off the top and releasing the bolts that hold the compressor in, you should be able to bull it out through the bottom.

pull it down in front of the sway bar and push the hoses out of the way to make more room. they should move wuite a bit, but dont force them. you have to fight it a little, but its not too bad. it comes out easiest with the pulley facing down and the connections for the hoses facing either the drivers wheel or the front of the car... i cant remember exactly.

even though i had a lift to use, it only took me about an hour to replaced my compressor and dryer and evac and recharge the system. hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-10-06, 05:14 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
after taking the two hoses off the top and releasing the bolts that hold the compressor in, you should be able to bull it out through the bottom.

pull it down in front of the sway bar and push the hoses out of the way to make more room. they should move wuite a bit, but dont force them. you have to fight it a little, but its not too bad. it comes out easiest with the pulley facing down and the connections for the hoses facing either the drivers wheel or the front of the car... i cant remember exactly.

even though i had a lift to use, it only took me about an hour to replaced my compressor and dryer and evac and recharge the system. hope this helps a bit.
I wish it were that easy to just pull it down, but with that long bolt in the way I can't pull that compressor anyway except towards the driverside fender.

I tried posting pictures but it wasn't working for some reason.... I'm not sure if you know what bolt I'm talking about but its the one on the top rear section of the compressor. The bolt is connected to the engine itself so there is no way of even taking that off.

It was a nut that I had to take off in order to pull the compressor forward. I'm getting really frustrated with this compressor... is there something I didn't do? I took out three bolts, one harness bolt, a nut, unplugged the two connectors and the main electrical unit.

I still can't figure this out.
Old 09-10-06, 06:51 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

WAIT!!! i know exactly what you are talking about. you need to remove that threaded bolt that is still in the block. but the nut back on so you know how far the threads go down, then take an inverted torx... i think its an E10 or E12 i cant remember. you can turn that whole bolt out and it will come off a lot easier. i forgot that. here is an idea of what tool im talking about if you are not farmiliar.

Old 09-11-06, 09:10 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many threaded bolts on the car are made this way. The end of the threaded bolt actually looks like a torx bit. Had to do this on several threaded bolts when I was changing and cleaning the intake. You have to remove that long threaded bolt as ki_soarer stated.
Old 09-11-06, 12:57 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
WAIT!!! i know exactly what you are talking about. you need to remove that threaded bolt that is still in the block. but the nut back on so you know how far the threads go down, then take an inverted torx... i think its an E10 or E12 i cant remember. you can turn that whole bolt out and it will come off a lot easier. i forgot that. here is an idea of what tool im talking about if you are not farmiliar.

Thanks a lot for your help scott!!!!!!! What I actually did instead (a friend told me this once he realized what it was), I put the compressor back on. Then I tightened one nut on the end, and then I tightened another one.

I used an open ended wrench and unscrewed the first nut that I put in. By doing that, the two nuts basically locked onto each other and I was able to take out the bolt that way.

I finally finished installing my compressor so now my car is up and running