Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Smoke coming from AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 01:28 AM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from AC compressor

I posted before about my serpentine belt snapping and I was able to replace it with no problem. However, I now have a huge problem that I know have no idea what to do with.

When I replaced my belt I tried starting up my car, but it was struggling to start (making those weird noises while starting), and it also had a low RPM. While my brother was looking at the engine for me to make sure the belts were ok, there was smoke coming out of the AC compressor.

My compressor was blown a few weeks ago but it never had smoke coming out of it before and I couldn't afford to replace it (~$500) so I just left it be. So now I'm confused why this could be. I'm really afraid to drive it thinking that my engine might catch on fire.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is in terms of the compressor and the start up problem? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-27-06, 09:31 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ac

I've had my compressor clutch smoke before. When I saw the smoke coming oput from under the hood I thought I had an engine fire. Ask Gazi to sell you one. Probably around $100 for compressor & clutch assy.
Old 08-27-06, 10:21 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The clutch is defective along with the compressor. It's seems like it's designed to prevent driving with the compressor out. Some are that way.
Old 08-27-06, 01:21 PM
JIC JZZ31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
The clutch is defective along with the compressor. It's seems like it's designed to prevent driving with the compressor out. Some are that way.
so now that my ac compressor is blown I need to replace my clutch as well? Why would the clutch have anything to do with the ac compressor?

I was thinking of just taking the ac system out because its too expensive to replace. Please help me out here, I can't drive my car anywhere until I figure out what the problem is.
Old 08-27-06, 05:49 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a manual transmission, you have a flywheel clutch and pressure plate. Not related to the A/C.

The electromagnetic "clutch" on the air conditioner compressor shaft.... causes the compressor to run and pressurize the freon gas. It disengages to prevent the compressor from running continuously and freezing the expansion valve.

I would not recommend replacing the clutch on a defective compressor.

The belt you are replacing it too long to run the alternator alone, off the crank shaft. Not sure if an available shorter belt would fit. They're not like the old V-belts.