Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So how do you know if your A/C Compressor took a crap??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 08:33 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So how do you know if your A/C Compressor took a crap??

Well I'm driving and my compressor tries to engage and my engine almost dies. I keep going to the next light thinking not much of it because the rpm's always drop, but then I smell burning and smoke is coming from the engine.

I pull over and theres a clicking noise in my engine now. Its there whether the A/C compressor is on or off and it still engages and stuff, but something clicks. And its coming from that side of the belt so its either the PS pump or the A/C compressor, and theres no leaks and the steering wheel isn't hard to turn.

Here's the brain buster, my A/C still works.

I still think something in the compressor clutch went out, but anybody have any thoughts??? The smoke out of my hood is what got me. I've been trying to replicate it with no luck.
Old 08-15-05, 09:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

good one. AC clutch?
Old 08-16-05, 04:51 AM
MitchB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like your compressor seized up. The clicking is possibly the belt now having a burned spot in it. This would also explain the smoke (burned belt).

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound too good.
Old 08-16-05, 07:40 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Are the rebuilt compressors I see any good on eBay or should I stick with an original?
Old 08-16-05, 09:51 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I don't understand this, I went out today, started it up, no clicking, a/c compressor kicks in fine. It acts like nothing even happened!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the clutch is getting ready to go in the compressor, thats all, so I probably shoulnd't run the ac and just get a new compressor sometime.
Old 08-16-05, 01:50 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I figured out its the pully tensioner!!! Drove the car down the street and snap and **** fell everywhere. Came back pully tensioner was GONE along with the fan pully was bent. Oh well, guess it will still be cheaper in the end to replace the tensioner. I have to get a new arm though because the one that was on there went **** to hell.

This will be waiting for awhile as I'll be going to college w/o my car unfortunately and I really don't ahve time to fix it before I leave this friday. Hopefully I'll get the parts ordered and everything so I can fix it my first weekend back. This week is not going well though, first I get backed into by my dad and $1500 worth of damage, then this!!! No more driving this car for awhile!!!!

Probably should have replaced the pully tensioner when I did the timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt a month ago....
Old 08-16-05, 02:25 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds similiar to me. ....My tensioner pulley makes a clicking noise. Ive replaced it twice so far, w/ one from pep boys. The bearing keeps going bad, and I cant figure out why.

I know thats what it is, too. When you take it off the tensiner arm, you can put the pulley on the tip of your finger, spin it, and feel the bearing is bad. Tomorrow, Im going to a place that sells bearings, and press a new one in the pulley.

Jordan
Old 08-16-05, 02:28 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

putting on a belt thats too small and stresses the tensioner to its max can make the bearings go bad.. also cheap pep boys chinese parts too lol
Old 08-16-05, 02:36 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

The belt's oem. But yeh...I heard chinese bearings suck.

Jordan
Old 08-16-05, 02:39 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

id goto toyota and get one from a supra n/a... im sure cheaper then going to the lex dealership for the same part..
Old 08-17-05, 06:06 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Well I was just going to order all the parts from rockauto.com, they have always been the cheapest for me. I'll post a pic later tonight because theres some other parts bent and stuff too and I need to know what thye are called.