Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

suggestions for exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-01, 09:42 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suggestions for exhaust?

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything in this section. anyways, i'm going to do my exhaust in a couple of weeks. I got jealous of how my friend's accord with an OBX exhaust sounds

I'm looking for something "rumbly" with a deap throaty sound. Nothing like those civics with fart pipes. I also want to replace the piping from the cat on back. I'll probably get the piping done at a shop.

What size pipe should I run from the cat back? I don't want to lose low end, but something optimal for a SC 400 (with air intake, ecu, TC -to be added later).

Now, what kind of muffler?
Borla: I heard that these sound good but overpriced
Greddy: ?
Dynomax Turbo (sp?): sound good, excellent price
HKS: ?
Tanabe: ?
others?
any specific ones?

What do you reccomend as a good looking tip? I was thinking dual tips on each muffler but that might pose a problem in trying to fit with an Explosion body kit (can't tell because the pic is so dark) or a C-One kit. 4" tips sound good? I don't want them to appear too small and I don't want them to appear too big. hehe, i want people to know that they are aftermarket (borderline rice i guess )

Thanks!
Nick
Old 10-01-01, 08:55 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Dynomax Ultra flows for sure... I have 3 1/2 inch Brospeed/Bosal tips on my SC4.

As for the exhaust piping I alway thought the diameter was large enough if you go to a more agressive flowing muffler. I would not go to large. It will suck all the torque away on the lower end...

Just get a large cat free-flo and go the route of MadMaxSC400...check out his set up on the {next to last page <7> or last page}on the "Exhaust/hp soud gain" thread. Plus, he used larger "PIPE" to the "CAT".
Old 10-01-01, 01:15 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on getting my friends dynomax mufflers and they make his TL sound like a V8 and are deep, but quieter than his intake when he punches it.
Old 10-02-01, 11:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want deep and rumbly get Dynomax Ultraflows

don't get the turbo mufflers; those things are so restrictive its stupid... don't get flowdisasters either

Dual N1 mufflers would be awsome

you gotta understand though; your V8 isn't going to sound like a pansy 4cyl Honda or anything... i don't care what people say; all 4-cylinder engines sound like *** unless it revs HIGH... and I'm talking about motorcycles here
Old 10-02-01, 01:36 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the Apexi N1 mufflers compare with the Dynomax Ultraflow SS (I assume the SS is better than the welded)? Besides price

Any good places to order mufflers online? I would buy them locally, but all the shops that i've went to try to gouge me every chance they get.... the don't deserve my business!

did i ever mention how midas told me that my brakes will only last for a couple of months, that I would have to get them replaced and it would cost 1500$? that was 18 months ago. thank goodness i know more about my SC since clublexus!

I was looking at a few more SC body kits and it looks more and more that I will have to go with a single tip on each muffler. The exhaust cut out on the body kits look like they are designed for single tipped mufflers.

I saw a pic of 3.5" tips on a 3000gt w/ apexi N1 mufflers and it looked big enough. 4" might be a little too big.

Last edited by hellasboy; 10-02-01 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 02:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah there's two N1 universals... one is 60mm and the other is 80mm (2.5" vs 3")

and remember single exhausts are louder than duals... i want a single N1 on my SC300 with it coming out the driver side pointing out at an angle like the full N1 catbacks do