Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo with auto tranny question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 07:10 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo with auto tranny question.

I know that with a manual tranny,every time you shift you release the unused air out the BOV,but since in a auto you stay on the gas,so when does the air release?I know that they have to have a BOV and release it some kind of way.Can someone explain how.
I know my terms aren't the correct terms but you all get what i'm saying.
Thanks
Richard
Old 07-19-06, 09:25 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I know that with a manual tranny,every time you shift you release the unused air out the BOV,but since in a auto you stay on the gas,so when does the air release?I know that they have to have a BOV and release it some kind of way.Can someone explain how.
Thanks
Richard

The bov doesnt release when u shift, it releases when u let off the gas. On an auto, it'll be the same thing, or when the car shifts gears.
Old 07-19-06, 11:19 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Shifting involves letting go of the gas for most people.
Not being a smart ***,just saying that i typed the wrong thing last time and cleared up that I knew that it go off when the gas peddle is let go of.
Now a really childish question,can hear the BOV when the auto shifts,or just when you let go off the gas peddle?
Richard
Old 07-20-06, 12:10 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Shifting involves letting go of the gas for most people.
Not being a smart ***,just saying that i typed the wrong thing last time and cleared up that I knew that it go off when the gas peddle is let go of.
Now a really childish question,can hear the BOV when the auto shifts,or just when you let go off the gas peddle?
Richard
Depends. I do hear the BOV after the transmission shifts under 25% of the throttle.

Chris
Old 07-20-06, 02:46 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

i only hear it when i let go the gas
Old 07-20-06, 02:15 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

Thanks
Richard
it's worked by the vac. from intake maniford from what i know... so if you let go the gas then the Throttle body closes and bov will release the unused compressed air traped inside ...
for auto if you keep hittin the gas it will not release the bov even if it changes gear... unless you let go the gas pedal for some reason...
Old 07-20-06, 02:49 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

only blows off when u let off but it shouldnt blow off between shifts in a manual car if you know how to drive .... you lift you lose
Old 07-20-06, 07:00 PM
hybridrift
Driver

Originally Posted by soarer479
only blows off when u let off but it shouldnt blow off between shifts in a manual car if you know how to drive .... you lift you lose
I agree with stupid^^^^^
but these other guys are right. BOV =bypass/blow off valve. to release unused compressed air in the intake system. as long as the throttle is open, the compressed air is being used. as soon as the throttle closes the bypass valve releases that compressed air. or somthing like that.
Old 07-21-06, 12:01 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_2
it's worked by the vac. from intake maniford from what i know... so if you let go the gas then the Throttle body closes and bov will release the unused compressed air traped inside ...
for auto if you keep hittin the gas it will not release the bov even if it changes gear... unless you let go the gas pedal for some reason...
You're wrong there. When I drive normally and the engine rews up to range of 2500 and 3000 rpm and transmission shifts I can hear mine going off slowly. It really depends where the transmission shift points are.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 07-21-06 at 12:06 AM.