Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbie, need some help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 02:33 PM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, need some help !

Hi guys !

Have a soarer with 3 ltr engine , its full stock (225 hp)
Automatic transmission

i bought car year ago , and just set up some sound with DVD , new wheels and thats all for now
Few month ago i decide to mod car , i order Vertex body kit waiting now from dealer.
Also i want to set up turbo kit (supercharger?) who can give an advice what better use
im interesting in specification and pricing of turbo kits (+ international delivery)
i want use car as dayly as i use now , i want to get max power from stock engine(that not kill it - 300h/p ?) i want to make all not so much expensive too.

engine is 2JZ- GE.

Thanks !
Old 05-03-06, 02:36 PM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

Ohh , ... car make year is 1996 , JZZ-31
Old 05-03-06, 03:57 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

1. Dont supercharge your car, go Turbo
2. Boostlogic has a good turbocharger for the NA-T. Visit them at www.boostlogic.com
3. DaveH also has a NA-T kit out. You can PM him on either Supraforums or ClubNA-T
4. A Stage I Turbokit will cost you around $3000-$5000 depending on quality and name brand
5. I daily drive 400+ rwhp so you will do fine as long as you have a boost controller and don't mash the pedal at every light.

You might also want to upgrade your transmission for that kind of power.

Would you happen to have any pictures of your car?
Old 05-03-06, 04:42 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

I agree with turbo on a 2jzge. It is easier to do and there is more exprience with it. A roots type supercharger owuld be really nice(ppositive boost 100% of the time, no turbo lag, flat as kansas torque curve) but a turbo has a higher potential for pure power and is easier to do.
Old 05-04-06, 01:13 AM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys , but i realy want to know some more about turbos then , as long as i live in very known but quite stupid and hard country - Russia , its hard there to find any good supplier , or them ask 7-8k$ for turbo kit i will try to follow all your recommendations and take one directly from US ,i dont know yet how better to pay and how to deliver , but i think all this i pass ,and that will be only 1 from maybe 10-15 cars in my country with 3ltr turbo engine

there a lot of soarer's 2.5 TTs , some 4 litres , and very few any kind SC's

Thanks again for your answers ,im realy needing em !

...sorry for my not good eng...no practise (

PICS of my ride will come to that thread shortly ;-)
Old 05-04-06, 01:19 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got a lot of 2.5TTs running around, I'd say it'd be cheaper to swap engines. It'd be easier and cheaper I'd guess, to import a used 1JZ-GTE than to go out and pay big money for a nice boost logic kit, get it dyno tuned....

...and then only make 300 HP with it.

1JZ that sucker and be happy with stock boost.

that's my thinking...

...then again, my last girlfriend accoused me of never thinking, so go figure

John
Old 05-04-06, 01:28 AM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

Well for some reasons i think 2jz is quite better engine then 1jz its 1st,
Second, i bought my ride cauz of that 2jz - GE . another think 1jz-GTE engines is not engine for old woman to ride to shop them comes to russia pretty killed , and my ride is only 230000km (about 130000miles) in whole its realy good looking ride .
and Third - i spend about 6k $ on sound system + wheels and some xenon bulbs , also i bought body kit ,and all i need now is *****ing turbo kit to finish build of my car .

i wont ride on quattermile and so on , its car for everyday ride only for myself .

!> best for me not changing nothing more (transmission etc) get turbo kit stage 1 , that can bring me up to 300 h/p (is enough) i wont big boost i will ride mby on 0,6 psi everyday.

i will wait while my A/T die to setup TRD manuall after .

Regards ,
Old 05-04-06, 03:09 AM
Mwmorph
Driver

well the problem is the 1jz will make more power cheaper and easier. It is meant ot be turboed whereas the 2jzge is not.
Old 05-04-06, 07:17 AM
94SC3005Sp
Driver School Candidate

the 2jzge can be turboed and be very efficient .. the best kit would probably be the boostlogic.. but they are also the most expensive.. kits can be bought w/o the intercooler for $2,100.. r

if that fails and you have the money you could always swap in a 2jzgte engine and just upgrade the turbos intercooler buy a boost controller and turn the boost up. Just the stoke gte engine would put you in the power level that you are wanting to be in.

Another option is to try and go all motor.. done right you can get 225-250whp which is about 310hp. Have any questions on what type of stuff you want to get just pm me.

Jeremiah

Last edited by 94SC3005Sp; 05-04-06 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 08:01 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blksoarer
another think 1jz-GTE engines is not engine for old woman to ride to shop them comes to russia pretty killed
You'd be surprised, the going-to-the-shop 1JZGTE engine is actually quite strong and is built from the factory with stronger internals compared to the non-turbo 2JZGE. Search the forums and all will be found.
Old 05-04-06, 09:25 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

His point was that its not a "grocery getter" (ie, "not engine for old women") and that all of them are ragged the hell out (ie. "comes to russia pretty killed").
Old 05-04-06, 12:24 PM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

well my point are same , as i heard around 2JZ GE engine "HEAD" is much more interesting build than 1JZ GTE , and for best ride pplz make hybrid motor 1 JZ GTE units + 2jz HEAD , also setup turbos .

As i said up this car is realy not for old people to move their ases from point to point its 95% killed cars , and buy one nice for 20k$ same year as my car now i wont ... i bought enough expensive one already and setup some stuff in it what cost not small money too ...(i wrote upper) i took this ride cauz it interior are BLACK , i dont like LIGHT interior too and most 2.5tts goes there 91-94 year with LIGHT interior ... back to TOPIC

THANKS ALL FOR ANSWERS , THAT MEAN WE WONT STOP WE STILL IN SEARCH...

what can occur if i dont setup INTERCOOLER ? i think that not so good for TURBOS ?

boostlogic kits pricing is quit good , i just want learn how i do deliver them to my place and what extra $ will that cost also how long ,...

p.s my car photoes will come after weekend ...camera is not with me right now ((
Old 05-04-06, 12:33 PM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

swap to 2JZ GTE will cost over 13.5k$ for 0km engine , and arround 3-4k$ for engine with unknown history ... and i will get some probs with registrant of that ride after cauz of law ... i will need to get some papers from special place , there must be string like : 2JZ GTE was set up by TOYOTA MOTORS for this ride from ....year , and its OK to do such swap ...like that

i say again now my engine is realy strong 230000 clean km(190000km JAPAN auction) and 40k for 1 year in russia , i **** X5 . 4.4 litres ride on 0-120 km/h , and lose about 2.4 sec to powered 5.5 AMG ML 0-120km/h , also 1JZ-GTE soarer run faster 0-100 Km/h for only ~1sec !

*5.5 AMG ML (2003 y.made), ~380 hp
Old 05-04-06, 04:29 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

a turbo without intercooler will work and itll work fine, just that boost will have to be very low so you dont have preignition/knock. You wont get nearly as much power without a intercooler.
Old 05-05-06, 07:06 AM
blksoarer
Driver School Candidate

got it , its ok to buy just turbo set without intercooler for me for 1 reason - i will be able to take intercooler after in Russia if i want to get more boost anytime , i save some space in the box w/o it and shipping will be cheaper , anyone can say me what is turbo and all devices size (when all in 1 box) , what weight i need to know same

should i take any boost controller (mby from after market) or how i can set low boost to not kill engine w/o intercooler when i set up KIT ???

Thanks ,